Politics in the hobby shop

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:49:07 -0600, Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

Well, I can see that Al Franken would get your goat, but George Soros has only spent his money, not yelled an hollered. I don't know what Streisand has done that merits inclusion with the likes of Carville and O'Really and Hannity, et al., but then I don't really follow news of her, as I do not find either her appearance of her singing schlocky songs attractive. Nothing against gay folks, but I can't take much of Barbara, and not a whole lot more of Bette Midler. Then, again, I find Chuck Norris and Silvester Stallone unbearably stupid and schlocky, too.
--
Steve

Jean Schmidt: enlist today, you can be part of the Army of One
Particularly liberal ones. Roger Aultman
Political idiots with big mouths can drive

<PLONK!>
On 11/18/05 8:57 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

And why should Roger's attitude be considered any worse than yours? I have to tell you that BOTH the far right AND the far left are getting on my nerves.
And I'll also publicly state that I think Carville is worse than any of the pundits from the right; they at least seem to be polite when "debating".
On another subject, I was deer hunting in northern Minnesota early this month, and heard a radio announcement of a lecture by the John Birch Society.
Folks, know your enemy; I didn't realize these clowns were still extant!
--
Brian Ehni

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:35:18 -0600, Brian Paul Ehni

Drunken Joe McCarthy may be dead, unfortunately, his ideas aren't.
Rich
This is precisely the political crap -- usually stupid personal insults without any actual reasoned discussion - coming from both the left and / or the right -- which ruins hobby news groups.
Fuck off Roger Aultman. In a non partisan manner.
Join the kill file.
<PLONK>
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:31:09 -0800, "Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote:

So then, you have shown yourself to be as intolerant and biased as those against whom you rant. I guess the "rules" only apply to "others", not to you? It's beginning to look like you are as bad as the guy in the hobby shop. If you'd not started this, you'd not be plonking people and isolating yourself. You have to expect differences of opinion, and you have to count on them being expressed when you start something like this. Politics in the USA is a hot topic right now and Liberals and Conservatives have never been more polarized and at each other's throats than they are now. When you opened this can of worms, you asked for it. Plonking people isn't going to make it go away, it's just going to shut you out of the loop. Everybody you plonk will still be visible to everyone else. Froggy,
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:35:28 GMT, Froggy @ thepond..com wrote:

First, Jim didn't start this topic, I did, or rather, the idiot bigmouth in the hobby shop gave me the nudge to start it.
Politics may be a hot topic, but also one that should be discussed only in a bar when you're looking for a fight. As I have never gone through the door of any bar in at least 35 years, it should be pretty evident that I don't want to hear anyones, right or left, half cocked political opinions. I damn sure don't go to the hobby shop to have some mental defective spouting his defective politics.
Plonking Roger, I did it first, and I doubt that I'll miss anything because of it. Right wing or left, both have a right to their opinions.
And I have a right not to hear them.
Rich
Rich,
I agree with you on your point and personally feel this is a hobby to take a break from crap like that guy laid on you, though I think your LHS owner had the responsibility of laying down the law to the jerk and toss him out of the shop, or worse, if he persisted.
But here's another thing I've had happen in the LHS several times which I think is extremely rude and out of line -- people who comment on the amount of items you're taking to the counter to purchase, and/or the price of same if they're within earshot when the shop owner gives you your total amount owed. One customer recently asked me if I was trying to buy out the shop and I replied, "Yeah, but a little at a time."
It's no ones business how much, or little I'm purchasing and what I'm spending, or not. It's simply bad manners and I wonder if anyone this may have happened to upon witnessing it, or having it happen to them personally, tended not to make as large a purchase as they might have from then on. This certainly wouldn't be financially helpful to the shop.
Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" Modeling 1960's In HO.

I have no doubt that it it had been in one of the hobby shops in a larger town, he would have been shown the door immediately. However, with a town of less than 10000 people, and a few that we're still trying to figure out what they are, every customer he has is valuable. To his credit, he exhibits far more tolerance for poor behavior than I would. I have to assume that this man(?) is approximately on the same level of spending that I am and possibly has some skill somewhere.
I can't fault the hobby shop, he's caught between a rock and a hard place. The political situation in this town is that he's fighting for his right to stay in business anyhow, he doesn't need another voice yammering for his scalp. He needs every customer he has unless we want to be driving thirty miles to the nearest hobby shop.
I talked to the owner today, he was glad to see me coming back in. It has to be hard when he's not able to do what he knows he should.
Rich
How's about we stop this before it escalates any further?
The hobby shop is where we discuss trains and related matters, not crackpots from the extremes on both sides of the political spectrum.
Rich

Paul, the answer you gave him was perfect.