Re: B-17 Wing Covering Thickness

you can poke through the skin with a pencil.

I rode on the CAF B-17. It was very frightening sitting in there having seen the skin as we entered and putting your hands on it as we flew to realize how thin the skin was. It was virtually no more than a wind break. I pity the poor bastards who rode in them and got shot at by German fighters and flak, realizing how little protection they had.
How they got those men to go back every day is beyond me. You couldn't put together that much guts today.
Gray Ghost wrote:

If the skin was that thin, what was there to stop it peeling away after a flak or cannon hit? Especially if the hole was near or at the wing leading edge...
Don Watters
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:47:31 +1000, Don Watters

Nothing...

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
If you are in the Michigan area this Saturday (April 2), and want to get up close and personal with a B-17G, stop by Hangar 2 at the Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Bring some soft cloths and a can of Mother's Magnesium and Alumium Polish and you can climb on, and shine up the "Yankee Lady". Get on the wing and check out the thickness yourself. No admission fees.
Also, Aug 6 & 7 we'll have the largest gathering of WW2 Bombers in the world. B-29, B-24s, B-17s, B-25s and more.
More info at out website http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org and at http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/events.html
Sorry for the cheap plug...now back to the discussion...
Kos wrote:

Now that's a sneaky way to get some free volunteer labor!! :-)
                        Bill Shuey
William H. Shuey wrote:

Willow
can
We used to offer a free lunch for the volunteers, but we lost everything else in the hangar fire last year, including our kitchen. I hope no one shows up hungry this year!
Kos wrote:

Set up some grills; and invite the "volunteers" to BYOB (Bring Your Own BBQ). Make a big "good will" party out of it. Oh...you guys up in the northern frontiers *do* BBQ, don't you?
:o)
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)

Said the Texican to the Hoosier: "What kind of critters do Y'all barbeque, up there in Indiana?" Replyed the Hoosier to the Texican: "Kentuckians"
*Smirk*
-Kevin (Half Hoosier, half Texican)

But *don't* poke at it to see how thick it is... ;-p

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
jerry 47 wrote:

FWIW Bullets and shrapnel from AAA usually just punched holes. Hits by 20 mm or 30 mm, which exploded when they hit and tore, they would lead to tearing peeling of the skin.
                            Bill Shuey

Exactly.
Gray Ghost wrote:

I am sorry, that is a silly statement about the lack of courage of American young men and women since WWII.
old hoodoo wrote:

Perhaps "silly"...but sadly, all-too-true with far more people today, than back then. How many people do you personally know today...who will not even drink "tap water"? Can you imagine those of the "Evian Water Crowd"; trying to cross the Great Plains in a wagon train?...lol
--

Greg Heilers
Greg Heilers wrote:

...the sillier thing is that we don't even have half the industrial capacity to produce and shape the raw materials to build the aircraft, tanks, and ships in the numbers seen during the 1940s for the youngsters to be afraid of going to war in in the first place.
And THAT ought to scare everyone...
--
- Rufus

We don't need those kinds of numbers anymore. How many B-17s does just one B-2 replace? How many WWII carriers does just one of today's CVNs replace? Etc...

My "From" address is munged - click "Reply To" to respond via email.
superduperal wrote:

exactly. we can go one on one with anyone technically equal and easily slaughter ranks of cannon fodder. can you say republican guard? they were outclassed. what was it, a company of abrams killed a battilion of them russian tanks the iraqis had? in about 20 minutes?
e wrote:

...and a bunch of Afgahns ran the Russians right back to Russia. Biggest problem with war is that the outcome isn't always predictable.
Bigger problem is, you never really know how many of somthing you need until you actually need them...and by then it's usually too late. Look at all the stories of not having enough up-armor kits in Iraq, for example...
A nation has to maintain a level of industrial infrastructure for strategic reasons alone. Not to mention that it's also good for keeping people employed in the meantime.
I could say the same about the state of agriculture...
--
- Rufus

wot I <snipped>
I think you'll find that a lot of the success of any military venture relies on the calibre, training and morale of the men involved. I know that if I'd been an Afghani local, I'd be pretty pissed off about Boris and his mates walking around my place in their muddy boots - if I'd been Boris or one of his mates, I think I'd rather of been at home with Olga or Stoli. (c; And just how much 'real' training had the Imperial Guard had? Looking flash on the parade ground is one thing, actually doing your job is quite another... There are a million stories in the annals of warfare - these have been just two.
RobG

the guard earned a rep in the war with iraq. they did a lot of fighting. obviously not quite enough...