Database for Lionel?

I'm in the process of cataloging my dad's Lionel collection. He didn't keep train sets together (at least, not the ones he acquired at garage sales or flea markets - the newer ones like the Bicentennial Lionel are still in their original boxes, though), and when we go to sell off his collection we hope to be able to sell full/complete sets.

My question is this: Does anyone know of a database that has all of the engines listed with the cars they came with (as sets), or will I have to thumb through all his Lionel catalogs and enter all this data into a spreadsheet or database on my own?

Also, does anyone know of a definitive source for identifying cars from different eras? I understand that Lionel would change certain characteristics on the various cars depending upon which year it was made. (e.g. the design of the trucks on a 6465 Sunoco Tank car would be different from one year to the next).

Oh... regarding the database, I would prefer a photo database that had photos showing the minor differences among the cars with the same numbers.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
someone

someone wrote: I'm in the process of cataloging my dad's Lionel collection. He didn't keep train sets together (at least, not the ones he acquired at garage sales or flea markets - the newer ones like the Bicentennial Lionel are still in their original boxes, though), and when we go to sell off his collection we hope to be able to sell full/complete sets.

----------------------------------------------- You can find a wealth of info at "Lionel Postwar Trains Library":

Here are some books that might assist you:

'Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Trains 1945-1969: Catalogued Sets":

"Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Trains 1945-1969: Motive Power and Rolling Stock":

"Greenberg's Guide to Lionel Trains 1945-1969: Selected Variations":

"Greenberg's Lionel Pocket Price Guide, 2004 Edition":

You might want to look at Bangzoom's Train Tracker 5.0 Software. This inventory system includes color photos and descriptions:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

You might also check out two cd-roms created by TM Books & Videos.

or do a google search for TM Books. They have one on modern era 1970-97 and postwar 1945-69. They have a search feature and also include variations on rolling stock. Unfortunately they never completed the series with the two planned pre-war versions.

Reply to
TRAINMAN9

Thank you both so very much for the information. I've already placed a couple of orders and will anxiously await their arrival.

Meantime, the Lionel Postwar Trains Library URL is coming in very handy!

Now... one other question, if I may ask...

What's the best method to use when we're ready to sell the trains? Since we're not really familiar with what's considered "excellent", "good", etc. condition, should we contact someone who buys trains and sell the whole lot at once (I would imagine that doing it this way would bring us less money but would avoid a lot of headaches), or should we try to sell them via the newspaper, eBay, or some other place?

Reply to
someone

New or Mint - Brand new, unused, unmarred and all original in the original box.

Like New - Free of major blemishes, nicks or scratches and in original condition throughout with little sign of use.

Excellent - Some minute nicks or scratches, but no dents, dings or rusty parts...........Very Good - A few scratches, but exceptionally clean with no dents or rusty parts.

Good - There are some scratches, and there maybe some small dents or dings and may be dirty.

Fair - May have quite a few scratches, may be chipped, dented, rusted or in warped condition.

Poor - Well used, may have some missing parts, usually has some usable parts and/or require restoration.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster" "No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Reply to
SAIL LOCO

placed

very

trains?

"excellent",

trains and

way

or

other

See for definitions of the grading standard terms.

-- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

Reply to
Len

It depends on a few factors: how big the collection is; The condition of each piece(see prior replys); and how much time and effort you devote to selling the collection. In my opinion, I would catalog the collection and then contact one or more of the national auction houses that do Lionel auctions. They will give you a fair assessment of your collection, and a probable amount that it will bring. Selling via the newspaper or Ebay is risky, as you will likely not get as much for the items. I hope that other people will chime in with their opinions, and good luck selling!

Reply to
NEVYEN

The newspaper will bring the local dealer vultures to your house ready to give you half or less of what the collection is worth at retail prices. As far as ebay goes I think your way off base. Today morons are the buyers on ebay. They bid stuff up to what you could walk into a store and buy the item for. You could put dog poop from your yard on ebay and people would bid on it. S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster" "No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Reply to
SAIL LOCO

If ytou have the right things to sell ebay will come up with the buyers, have a look at

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

An executor trying to liquidate an estate collection should not be misled into expecting retail prices for the entire lot. To get retail without resorting to ebay, one would have to go to several train shows, with the associated auto costs, motels and meals, fees for tables, lost weekends, etc. etc. in order to sell all of the good and not so good pieces at retail. A private collector who buys a complete collection in effect performs that service for the seller, and should be entitled to an appropriate discount from retail. A bricks and mortar dealer who buys an entire collection is justified in paying wholesale for the collection to cover the costs of his operation and the risks of not being able to move all the items in a reasonable time period. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer