SDJR 7F 2-8-0 in 4mm

Every S&D layout needs 1 (or 2!) Currently theres 2 kits available ..Alan Gibson & DJH

Has anyone built one or both of these?...and which one would you recommend?

Advice as always gratefully received

TIA

Ian Clarke

Reply to
IanClarke

Hi

I am in the process of building the Alan Gibson small boilered version. I have been for at least 5 years...... The choice of Alan Gibson's kit is simply down to the fact that I prefer etched brass to whitemetal.

Usual advice applies as for any E/B kit. In addition, I would strongly recommend you don't get too carried away with the chassis until you are sure it will negotiate the curves on your layout. I speak from experience! The Alan Gibson version is unusual in that the intended method of building is to have the cab/footplate permanently attached to the chassis. This is because the valve gear sticks up through the footplate. I may go back to that method - at the moment the chassis is stripped pending a rebuild (and conversion from Em to P4).

If you have, or can get, a copy of MRJ 23, Iain Rice describes his attempts to get it to go round corners. The article has "Nemesis" in the title, which gives you a clue. To be fair, the problems apply to any long wheel-base loco.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Thanks for the tips. My new layout (Evercreech New in EM) is end to end so hopefully no problems with curves.

Will do thanks. RM Oct 88 has a good drawing too I believe.

Ian

Reply to
IanClarke

Ian,

I have a hazy memory that Model Railways also did a feature on it in the 70s. Their loco features in those days were a very good source of information.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie