Re: Mach 2 German armoured train

Has anyone done a review of this kit? I have built Mach 2 stuff before,

> and cleaning up the flash can be a nightmare.

It must be real bad then because Squadron clearly states in their kit description that there is a lot of flash and that the kit is not for beginners. Nice idea for a kit, too bad they screwed up on the presentation of the kit.....

back safely to my Revell 1/32 airplanes....

Craig

> > Incidentally, considering that some of these kits make 1960's Airfix > look truly sophisticated, I wonder what everyones view is of > "acceptable quality"? Here in the sunny UK, we have the Sale of Goods > Act, which demands that goods are of "merchantable quality". Selling > something as a construction kit when you can't find half the small > parts in the flash hardly qualifies in my opinion. > > Yes, I really want to build a train, but..... > N > > -- > Nigel Cheffers-Heard > photography + design >
Craig

From the header I briefly thought this must be some kind of Reichsbahn '46 project for a train 10 times faster than the TGV, silly me :)

Chek

Reply to
Chek

Was that act in place during the production of Merlin kits?

If so was there any enforcement at all, or just another pesky, totally ignored law?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I can see the sales brochures: "Fast, hard-hitting..."

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the weird. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

remember. all the wierd's a stooge moe shakespeare

I wonder if BART could get something like that to justify its upcoming fare increase; just put a gun on the lead car and blast away the daily disabled train that always breaks down during rush hour.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Its definitely one way to get the trains running on time :)

Chek

Reply to
Chek

Nigel, you need to revise - merchantable quality was replaced by satisfactory quality about 10 years ago!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

It's a civil law, so no enforcement, but you could return the goods if not of said quality

Reply to
Dave Fleming

Must be my age, in my mis-spent youth I was actually a Weights and Measures Inspector! Then I saw the light and became a designer and photographer instead. Either way, I am still interested in everyone else's view of acceptable quality.

(Like the Mach 2 joke, wish I had thought of that.)

Nigel Cheffers-Heard

On a related note, what are the implications of Airfix offering 1/76th kits that are marked on the box as being 1/72nd?

Just curious...

Andre

Reply to
Andre van der Hoek

Mach2 owner apart, put gently an arm on his shoulders and convince him to give up pretending to make scale model kits and dedicate himself to a serious and honest employment.

by Mach2 brand is at the same time an expensive bunch of plastic crap and a lost chance to have the same subject issued by another kitmaker, any other, that would surely accomplish the task much better, even as vacuforms!

Reply to
Ron

Ah, but is his fit any better than those of his model kits?

Reply to
Toni Lassila

Lets stop battering Mach2 and be happy that they are willing to take the risk to produce such a kit like the German Armoured Train. I have the kit and yes it takes a lot of work but the only alternative is a resin kit that costs about ten times as much. If you're not willing to make the effort, then don't buy it and stick to Tamiya and Hasegawa and such, but I don't see them making kits of the subjects that Mach2 did!

Stop whining and start modelling!!!!

Tom

Reply to
Raider

Even the 10 yr old kids in the after school modeling club I run noticed the 'quality' of the Mach 2 X-24's

"It's not a very good kit, is it?"

"Where are the parts for the landing gear?" , I pointed, "Where?", I pointed again, touching the flash wafer, "Oh..."

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Is there any hope of making them look decent in a gear-up version?

Mach 2's Delta B satellite launcher leaves a lot to be desired, unless you really enjoy poor fit, lack of detail and crumbling decals.

--Bill Thompson

Reply to
William R. Thompson

Yup thats the plan, to hang them from the ceiling with the timeline of pewered flight. Gear up, paint the inside of the canopy black, make them 6-8 footers...even that will take work!

If there were any other option for these and if I did not get them on 'sale' ( I probably STILL paid too much) I would have passed.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Maybe you'd like to plop down your hard earned $$ sight-unseen and then open the box to the usual Mach2 'quality'.

Not me brother. I want to know about the warts BEFORE I commit the cash.

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

He has a good point. I have seen some spectacular models produced from Mach 2 and Merlin kits.

That is fine for you, but the modeling world in general knows well about Mach

2, Merlin, etc. quality and avoids their products.

I have been picking up Mach 2's Piasecki HUP and working on it an hour here and a few minutes there for at least a few years now and it is starting to look pretty good.

I personally think that it's cross sections are better than the Interavia kit. The biggest flaw is in the rear rotor pylon. The left half is molded at a 30 degree cant!!! I have opened a half dozen examples and they are all like that. The solution was to cut about 3/4 through at the base, bend to shape and insert a wedge. Worked fine after a little filling and sanding.

Now to find a vacuform part for the clear front area and pick up a couple of tubes of putty for the rest. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72