AR-15 & M16 Bolt Carrier groups

It seems the bolt carrier group is the hard to get part for AR-15's
currently. I have found old Colt M16 A1 parts kits, "good to excellent"
minus lower receiver and barrel (plus missing auto-sear or disconnector).
Would the M16 bolt carrier group be good in an AR-15?
I found some bolt carrier groups in stock for $300 but the M16 parts kits
are available in the $500 - $600 range, seems to be a better value maybe. I
read a review of one of these parts kits being assembled, they said it was a
good shooter.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
Jesus. For a poodle shooter? I paid less than that for a classic Black Beauty Double in 12 gauge, and the forcing cone was even relieved for star crimps.
What are you going to do with it if you ever finish it?
Reply to
Ed Huntress
The M16 parts WILL fit in an AR, it was common practice back in the first days of building AR clones to use surplus M16 parts from scrapped rifles. However, BATF eventually frowned on that because, with some added bits you can go full-auto, or even without, a improperly timed build can double. So, if you use the whole kit, you need to remove the secondary sear hook from the hammer, grind back the auto sear trip surface on the carrier, and lose the full-auto selector entirely. Disconnector tang needs to be ground to semi-auto configuration, too. At one time, there was an AR FAQ on the ATF site, might be it's still there. As far as parts quality, the kits I've seen for sale were from Colt-made commercially sold M16s supplied as military aid to several countries, warehoused and never issued. They can't come back as complete guns, so current practice is to strip them, scrap the lowers and barrels and import the rest. Some kits for sale had the auto sear and spring when they were first imported, those were taken out with later kits. You do NOT want them unless you like 10 year vacations. Quality on those parts kits is the same as new Colt-made parts of the same era. Barrels can no longer be imported.
So the problems with M16 parts in AR builds aren't mechanical, they're legal. At this point, somebody starts saying that none of this is in any law( and they're going to do it anyway). And they're right, it's BATF's own interpretation, subject to change without notice and with every change in administration. Since Congress has left legal interpretation of the law to BATF, this is the result. They can do just about anything to your gun, should they seize it, to get it to fire more than 1 shot with one trigger pull(and have done so). Then it's a machine gun and you go to jail. Just having M16 parts along with an AR has been taken as having "constructive intent", it's just flat too easy to convert. If you've got the M16 auto sear and spring, it's just one hole's difference. So they need to be altered just as soon as you get them. You do not want to end up in court because M16 parts kits are currently cheaper than AR parts. Just using an M16 bolt carrier with all the rest being AR parts SHOULD be safe legally, the trip surface should probably be shortened to be completely safe. Your choice...
Stan
Reply to
Stanley Schaefer
olt carrier group is the hard to get part for AR-15's > currently.  I hav e found old Colt M16 A1 parts kits, "good to excellent" > minus lower recei ver and barrel (plus missing auto-sear or disconnector). > Would the M16 bo lt carrier group be good in an AR-15? > > I found some bolt carrier groups in stock for $300 but the M16 parts kits > are available in the $500 - $600 range, seems to be a better value maybe.  I > read a review of one of th ese parts kits being assembled, they said it was a > good shooter. > > Roge rN The M16 parts WILL fit in an AR, it was common practice back in the firs t days of building AR clones to use surplus M16 parts from scrapped rifles. However, BATF eventually frowned on that because, with some added bits you can go full-auto, or even without, a improperly timed build can double. So , if you use the whole kit, you need to remove the secondary sear hook from the hammer, grind back the auto sear trip surface on the carrier, and lose the full-auto selector entirely. Disconnector tang needs to be ground to s emi-auto configuration, too. At one time, there was an AR FAQ on the ATF si te, might be it's still there. As far as parts quality, the kits I've seen for sale were from Colt-made commercially sold M16s supplied as military ai d to several countries, warehoused and never issued. They can't come back a s complete guns, so current practice is to strip them, scrap the lowers and barrels and import the rest. Some kits for sale had the auto sear and spri ng when they were first imported, those were taken out with later kits. You do NOT want them unless you like 10 year vacations. Quality on those parts kits is the same as new Colt-made parts of the same era. Barrels can no lo nger be imported. So the problems with M16 parts in AR builds aren't mechan ical, they're legal. At this point, somebody starts saying that none of thi s is in any law( and they're going to do it anyway). And they're right, it' s BATF's own interpretation, subject to change without notice and with ever y change in administration. Since Congress has left legal interpretation of the law to BATF, this is the result. They can do just about anything to yo ur gun, should they seize it, to get it to fire more than 1 shot with one t rigger pull(and have done so). Then it's a machine gun and you go to jail. Just having M16 parts along with an AR has been taken as having "constructi ve intent", it's just flat too easy to convert. If you've got the M16 auto sear and spring, it's just one hole's difference. So they need to be altere d just as soon as you get them. You do not want to end up in court because M16 parts kits are currently cheaper than AR parts. Just using an M16 bolt carrier with all the rest being AR parts SHOULD be safe legally, the trip s urface should probably be shortened to be completely safe. Your choice... S tan
it's not illegal to have the m16 bc installed. many transitional colts, fro m (a1 to a2) were built with them.
read the gc.
the a.s. is a problem.
Reply to
jdc
here's a worth while read.

jdc
I have an "95%" receiver according to americanspiritarms.com, and an AR-15 lower parts kit. That's what the M16 upper parts, along with a new barrel, would be assembled with, no "Auto" M16 parts except the bolt carrier group. Though I think a full-auto would be fun to play with for a little bit, I don't want to waste that much ammo or spend time in prison. Maybe I'll go to the Knob Creek Kentucky machine gun shoot someday, they'll let you fire machine guns for a fee.
Thanks for the info!
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
I'd probably just use it for target shooting and occasional varmints. The cartridges are kind of cute, like miniatures of my hunting rifle Winchester Magnum cartridges. We gave a lot of Coyotes around here, I can hear them when a train is in the area. If it was legal to deer hunt with rifles here I'd get a 308 version.
I think I'll complete at least the "95%" receiver, I just have to drill 3 holes and mill out a pocket for the trigger group. If I ever get a shop building here and get my machines moved there's a better chance of me getting the 0% lowers done. The rifles are looking pretty cheap compared to some of the optics, I'd like to have one with good daytime optics, one with night vision, and one with FLIR if they become more affordable than the one I saw for $7500.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
Im sure he is going to simply "collect it". Collectors are harmless people. Not like "shooters" who are very dangerous people, according to your friends in the DNC
Gunner, doing stock work on his 338 build
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
If that is a Baker Black Beauty I just saw one in "almost like new" condition offered for sale. One scratch on left side of action, one on right side of barrel and a small chip out of the butt stock. $900.
Reply to
John B.
Wow. I hope you feel you're getting your money's worth.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
He builds it, and then collects it?? "RogernN, maker of collectible poodle-shooters."
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Possibly it's mine. I sold it around ten years ago. I had enough shotguns and wasn't hunting rabbits or pheasants anymore.
I think I got $650 for mine.
If it hasn't had the forcing cones relieved, don't shoot star crimp shells in it. I've owned two shotguns that required roll crimps, and they're a PITA to load.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Some people collect Beanie Babies, others collect Hummel porcelein, others collect rubber bands. A "poodle shooter" has been fine for the US military (and many other nations) for 50 yrs so far. So whats your problem?
Your president has made many large Gifts of them to other nations and many cartels. You mean he is a cheap bastard for handing them out like candy?
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
Roger..plan to make the other poor bastard die for HIS bleeves. It makes retirement and getting a bit of pussy now and then..so much better when you are there to enjoy it.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Reply to
Gunner
Made by Roger? That's collectible??
They're for killing people. That's who gets them -- people who are going to kill, or threaten to kill, other people. That's what they're for, that's what they're all about, and that's why they're out there.
How about ol' Rog? Besides, he's clearly said that he hopes to use it for shooting people in the "Second Civil War." That isn't collecting, unless he's planning to mount their heads for display on his wall.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Why were the barrels scrapped? Why can't barrels be imported?
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Because they're "assault rifle" barrels. Could be imported until BATF changed it's collective mind a few years back. Can be imported if they're torched in two, though. If you see parts kits for sale with barrels, they're either new US mfg. barrels or the kits came in prior to the ruling.
Stan
Reply to
Stanley Schaefer
Simple solution: In order to own guns you must be licensed, like a CCW. Then you can own no guns or a bunch...the gov will never know.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
It would do about half the job. Then you have to figure out what to do about straw purchases.
What would you do?
Reply to
Ed Huntress
Gun show loophole