AR-500?

I make replica battle axes, halberds, etc. for a friend who sells them to reenactors, SCA people, etc.

He supplies the material.

Lately many of the blade burnouts he's supplied have been harder to grind and shape than usual. I asked him about this and he checked with his supplier who told him this batch were cut out of leftover AR-500

1/4-inch plate. A web search found this designation to be a high-manganese, abrasion-resistant, work-hardening material used to line rock crusher drums, dump beds, etc.

The material is very tough and seems to weld easily using FCAW. (a Lincoln Weld-Pak 155 at "D" arc voltage)

Are there any caveats for welding this material to steel tubing? (Mild steel, about .120 wall thickness)

So far I haven't been able to break any of the assemblies using an

8-pound sledge on them on my 300# anvil.
Reply to
John Husvar