Re: Trumpeter S-tank good?

Here are some OOTB builds:

103 B
103 C
Ken
Reply to
Ken Hartlen

I don't know about the rest of it, looks good to my ignorant eyes, but the gun tube is a bit simplified and could use an aftermarket replacement.

Reply to
steve gallacci

It does look good and affordable!

Reply to
Gary Kato

Those in the know (a friend who knows the guys at AA) would tell you that the Trumpeter S-Tank IS a rip-off of the Accurate Armour kit in injection-moulded plastic - complete with errors !

Has anyone compared the two ??

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

The June 03 issue of Military Models in Review has an excellent build review of the 103B and 103C. A few issues, the only tough bit is the track's about one link too long.

HTH

Mark

Reply to
Mark Bivens

Lets just say I take have the salt shaker at the ready.

Given some of Trumpeter's practices, I'm sure AA would like us to question the origin of Trumpeter's kit. Did AA say that Trumpeter copied their Strv103B as well?

Perhaps your friend of the AA insider, or better yet AA, could enlighten us. Especially of the "errors" in AA's kit so we can compare it with Trumpeter's offering. I've heard the Trumpeter may possibly be underscaled, 1/37 or

1/38, is that the error in AA's kit? Has AA ever publicly denounced the Trumpeter kit as being a copy of their's?

The Trumpeter kits have been out, what about year now, and there has been no mention of the 'C' being a "rip-off" of the AA kit. Nor have such comments been made on the likes of Missing-Lynx or Track-Link. I'm sure the two kits would have been compared by someone by now, especially those fond of the S-Tank that already have the AA kit.

Ken

injection-moulded

Reply to
Ken Hartlen

The person who says that the Trumpeter kit is a rip-off copy of the AA kit is incorrect. I have both the Trumpeter and the AA kit and they are not the same. There are differences in detail and parts breakdown that distinguish each kit. Also, the hull lengths are different. The hull length on the Trumpeter kit is slightly short as they assumed that the commonly listed length included the storage containers that hang from the rear. Trumpeter's length matches the listed dimensions if you include the containers. AA's kit got it correct and their hull matches the listed length without taking into account the containers. Both kits have the same length on the top flat section of the hull. The diffenence is in the length of the sloped glacis, however the shortness is not really apparent in the finished kit as the shape of the S-tank is so different that it isn't obvious that the length might be wrong.

Dave

replacement.

injection-moulded

Reply to
Dave Williams

I don't know if that tank is highly regarded as a fighting machine, but it shore is purty!! The model builders did a terrific job too!

My brother and I built one when we were in grade school. It was nowhere near as cool as those. No. I'll admit it--it was jacked up!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Alvarez

I'm not much of an armor guy but I was drawn to some of the posted lonks with pics of this"S" tank and have something of a technical question for you tread-heads out there. Given the fact this vehicle has a fixed gun with limited/no traverse capability rather than a movable turret, wouldn't it be more correctly called an anti-tank gun or assault gun (like the Stugs)? Just my unenlightened thoughts.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

Reply to
Bill Woodier

The Swedes were the only country in the world to have a tank with a fixed main gun and a self-propelled assault gun with a turret. Go figure.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

they have an sr500 club and that makes them great to me.

I don't see that. I also have the SOL S-tank kit and the Trumpeter kit is much more detailed than the SOL kit. The details are different and many of the details are separate parts in Trumpeter kit. Also, the Trumpeter hull is slightly shorter than the SOL hull. The Trumpeter kit is further away from the SOL kit than it is from a AA kit and it's not a copy of the AA kit. If SOL "helped" them, they helped them make a much better kit than their own.

I think some people who spent big bucks on a resin kit might be jealous that Trumpeter managed to put out a detailed kit for only $25. Sorry folks, the S-tank is Trumpeter's own kit.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I would like to apologise unreservedly to Trumpeter for saying that their S Tank was a rip-off of the Accurate Armour kit.

It is not !!!!!

I had misunderstood what a friend had said about the kit and I should have checked my facts before posting.

I must learn to keep my big mouth shut !!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

that's why the put pencils on erasers....

I don't think they do in Blighty...

But I completely understand, Ken. I just blew it the other night with the Bücker plane designations. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Don't they put erasers on pencils?

I've never seen an eraser with a pencil on it.

Tim Brimelow

Reply to
tim brimelow

I think it all depends on which end of the stick you use most.

Dick Beemer

Reply to
Rbbeemer

No doubt engendering those jokes about the Scots regiment who needed to buy 'A' new one. ;) Pardon me while I clean the spit off my monitor....

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Moreso than I, apparently. :)