S-tank Strv103C to 103B?

I have the Trumpeter 1/35 S-tank kit, the later Strv103C version. What would it take to backdate this to the Strv103B version? Are all of the B-version parts included in the C-version kit, and what about markings? I'm partly dreading doing the splinter camo, and partly thinking I might prefer having the earlier version.

Dave

Reply to
David Graf

You would need parts from the 103B kit. The kits come with different tracks, the 103B kit having all metal tracks instead of the rubber padded Diehl type in the 103C kit. In addition, while the A and B sprues are the same, the 103B kit has an additional section added to the C sprue in lieu of the D sprue in the 103C kit. The added C sprue section contains different drive sprockets, different rear stowage boxes, different spare track links, and a different shaped side skirt plate that covers the drive sprocket.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

Oh, well. Better just bite the bullet, then, and do the fancy camo job. Builds character. Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
David Graf

there was an article in Finescale Modeler several years back on painting the Splinter Camo on a Drakken A/C, that would pretty much could be transposed to painting the S tank. Though Personally, with all the hard edges and corners instead of masking and airbrushing, I think it would be better to just do the base color and mark out all the camo and hand paint it

Reply to
Phil Campbell

Hold the trigger. According to some posts I've read in other armor only groups, MOST STRV 103C's were green only. Few, 30% is the number quoted in a couple posts, were ever painted up in the four color camo shown in the Trumpeter instructions.

If you want to improve your skills, go for the four color camo. If you prefer not, then a green only scheme is fine and "accurate".

Also note that you can "do" a 103C without the dozer blade and the rubber can side skirts if you wish. Not all tanks carried those either, from what I've read on the other armor specific groups.

Reference is thin on STRV 103's though, so good luck.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks, maybe that's the way to go. I'm interested in taking the coward's way because I'm trying to reduce the unbuilt kit collection, and I'm looking for relatively quick projects. What would be the correct color for the overall green, the same dark green like you see on the B's, or something else?

Dave

Reply to
David Graf

Well, FWIW, I've seen Tamiya NATO green used on the model and it looked fine. I haven't painted mine yet due to same camo masking fears (well laziness on my part...I consider it a learning experience but am just to lazy to learn). The few pictures of 103C's I've seen featured the vehicle either completely covered in camouflage netting or just so dirty that it's difficult to tell how green the green is.

Here's an example form the "Let's Make Trumpeter's kit" Federation website...and no I didn't make that up.

BTW, you can paint the 103B's in gray if you want something different for a modern armor collection. they had a number of those in the inventory as well.

HTH, Steve

Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote

Now that I know overall green 103C'c exist, I did a little web searching. Here's one in the Bovington museum:

photos seem to have a bit of a yellowish cast, but at least the tank is clean. With a relatively recent tank like this, I suppose odds are that it's the original paint. And here's a different picture of the same tank, where the color appears much darker:
whatever it's worth...

Dave

Reply to
David Graf