OT: band saw questin

Hi guys,

I am aware that his group is called welding and joining, but surely , every body has to cut the pieces first , and I am sure there are plenty band saw users here.

application; i've been cuting 3 and 4 inch standard mild steel hot rolled "C" channels roughly 2-3 /day or roughly 10-12 /week. been using a chopsaw but it is quiet noisey and stinky, so i am considering a horizontal bandsaw. I never had one so i need some help whether this is a good route. a 4x6 would be big enough, and trying to keep cost down. I ugess the ultimate would be wet saw/liquid cooled, hydraulic down feed, but those are close to $1000.

cheaper 4x6 goes less than $200, dry cut, spring /gravity down feed.

so the question is: how fast does it cut 3"and 4" channels ? how long a blade will last? will I be ok with the cheapos brand / clarke ? how truble some the spring/ gravity down feed units ?

thanks folks.

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Yes, in my limited experience a horizontal band saw would be the way to go. And you'll probably get some good answers here. But the main reason I am writing is to suggest you post this question to the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup. There is a diverse group of very knowledgeable people there.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

what type (#'s) of production are you setting up for??

Reply to
dogalone

oops; strike the above post; new blades in a small band saw work great, would imagine @ 36 cuts a week, under ideal conditions yours will last 2 or

3 for a year
Reply to
dogalone

First of all, you are in the right place. Many here use bandsaws.

Anything beats a chop saw, particularly for pieces larger than .065" square tubing or small steel. In answer to your questions:

How fast if cuts will depend on the teeth per inch and the down pressure. Blades life will depend on the pressure, the lubrication, and the hardness of the metal. Cheapos are okay unless you just want to spring for an expensive liquid cooled unit. Down pressure can be adjustable, or keep adding bungees. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Wharris

Your other option is a dry-cut say. They run betwen $350 and $450. On steel they are simply unbelievable.

Stainless steel is not so nice to dry cut saws.

Shortly after I got my Porter Cable dry-cut saw I gave my 4x6 bandsaw to a friend. I have never wanted it back.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

You never can get too big a bandsaw. In the shop I am in we have a ten inch square capacity but if we have a lot to do on a job we get it precut by a supplier. It just isn't worth the time spent. If you are buying twenty foot lengths already it is something you should ask about. There is one local steel supplier of structural material that does not charge for cuts. They assemble all their customers' cut lists and optimize to the point the extra charge is minimal and it becomes a selling point. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Ok -

I'll byte. Many of us have the small saw that drops on the work and many of us have the next size up as you saw (I do) with coolant.

They all work - they all have their problems. Fewer problems with the bigger saw.

Blades - much to be said and learned.

  1. Blades break.
  2. The bigger saw has larger wheels and such and I think (can't measure) can hold up to more pressure that the blade tension needs. Both work.

  1. bad blades are bad.

  1. Good blades are better.
  2. Pick a quality blade, keep it taught when using it and cool and keep the teeth clean if you can.
  3. Keep the work locked down tight. Tighter. If it loosens the blade will break.

There is a hand full and one more to boot.

You may not need M42 blade tips, likely you need a vari-pitch blade and not carbon based. Remember the free blades are typically carbon steel and dull quicker with work.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Check out:

I added the more rigid stand and hydraulic feed mech to mine. That plus rollers on each side of the saw helps tremendously.

Good luck

Reply to
John L. Weatherly