Band Saw Question

I got one of those little HF band saws. I really like it.

Yesterday while changing the blade, I noticed I had it on the highest speed. On the biggest pulley on the motor, the smallest pulley on the drive box. It has always worked fine, but I thought high speeds were for wood. I changed it around to the middle pulley and tried it. It didn't cut as well. I changed it again to the slowest speed, and the blade chattered and it would buck a little. I adjusted the tensioner that puts less weight on the blade. I was afraid of taking some teeth off the new blade, and so put it back the same as I had it to start. It works fine now.

What's pulleys is it supposed to be on for square tubing?

Or just what works best.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

All 3 speeds on the 4x6 saws are metal cutting speeds. The speed you want depends on your blades (HSS teeth, carbide teeth, or carbon steel teeth?) and the material (steel? aluminum? plastic?). It doesn't depend on the part topology. The part topology comes into play when you're deciding how many teeth per inch on the blade to buy. The rule is at least 3 teeth in the cut at all times, so if your square tubing is .125 wall you'd ideally want 24tpi blade. In reality you can lower the feed (tighten the spring) and use a 14tpi blade gently on thinner stock.

Have a look at

it's written for guys like you.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) The rule is at least 3 teeth in the cut at all times, (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I think Grant's comments are on point. Since you didn't say what tooth pitch you were using, nor the thickness of material you were cutting, we can't be sure. I think this may be what's going on: If you have fewer than three teeth in the cut at all times, as the blade runs slower, it has more time to settle during the time after the leading tooth comes out of contact. This creates a harder bump as the next tooth enters the cut.

Running the blade at too high a speed can shorten its life. I suggest trying a cut in some thick material at low speed, to see whether this is really it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

My 4 X 6 has been on the highest speed ever since I got it 20 years ago. I use real good Do-all blades and they last a long time. I use 10 tooth blades almost exclusively. I bought some 18T blades once and sent them back since they clog a lot.

Pete Stanaitis

Steve B wrote:

Reply to
spaco