Test fired 2nd AR-15

Stopped by the local gun shop yesterday, they had 24 AR-15 stripped lowers for $150 total, including taxes, so I bought one. Picked it up today after
my waiting period, put enough parts in to get it ready to fire. I used the same upper I used on my DIY lower. Fired fine, no issues.
A friend was telling me about a guy they shot with that could stiff arm a semi-auto and pull the gun against his finger and bump fire but without a bump fire stock. So I tried it, after a few failed attempts I got it to double, then I got a 3 round burst. Sounds like a machine gun and I can hit the ground with every shot! :-) I don't think it would be a good way to hit anything, may be useful for gardening, I can plant seeds in the holes I shot in the ground.
After I torque the barrel on the M-16 upper it will be ready to test fire.
The 4 raw forgings I ordered in early February finally came in today. I figure I'll try to machine them with my CNC mill to the 80% point so I can sell if I want or finish the trigger pocket in the CNC when I decide to. I wanting to build a 30 cal for the 300blk cartridge, that will probably be my 3rd upper but I hear ammo is hard to get for the 300blk. Maybe I can get some dies to neck out 223 to 300blk and load my own.
RogerN
On 5/22/2013 8:51 PM, RogerN wrote:

I know what you mean, since Obama it seems everybody now has multiple assault rifles. Obama is the greatest gun salesman ever and the worst president ever.
RogerN
On 5/22/2013 9:40 PM, RogerN wrote:

No, you don't. You're a rabid gun-crazed lunatic. You don't know what anyone means, ever.

Snicker!!
--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?
On 5/22/2013 11:56 PM, Ry Fischer wrote:

OTOH, he is talking about recreational metalworking and you are not.
David
Better than Slick Willie.
With ammo being unavailable, it's gonna get interesting, now. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I know what you mean, since Obama it seems everybody now has multiple assault rifles. Obama is the greatest gun salesman ever and the worst president ever.
RogerN

    Since 2009, Americans have bought 18 firearms for every individual in the Armed Forces. (That probably includes the Eric Holder Specials sold during Operation Fast and Furious.)

On Fri, 24 May 2013 13:27:33 -0700, pyotr filipivich

Clarification of that first sentence, please?
--
They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,

Somewhere there is a youtube film of a guy firing a M-16/15 with no add on gizmos. Just letting the gun recoil against his finger on the trigger. It didn't fire as fast as the AR-15's the A.F. had but it certainly was cheaper than the add on.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Slide fire video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
WhhKH3QVU
Looks like a good metalworking (& Plastics) project.
RogerN
This week I received the parts kit, less stripped lower, that I ordered 2/4/13, website said it would be at least 4 weeks, LOL.
I put the new upper on my 2nd lower and test fired it yesterday, all went well. Jammed several times at first, kind of stiff.
I still haven't assembled my M-16 upper, just have to torque the barrel and pin the gas tube, haven't bolted my vise down yet.
I'd like to make a homemade slide fire stock sometime. We've been shooting and then locating the brass with a metal detector, getting about time to run the progressive press for an hour or so.
RogerN

The design of the ejector is a bit overkill in the AR-15. You can tone it down a bit without any drop in reliability. Competitive shooters do this all the time so they don't lose too much of their match brass. This has to be done in conjunction with the extractor. If you have a stiff extractor spring with an added o-ring, the ejector has to be strong enough to overcome that, and it will throw the stuff all over.
I set up two "spacegun" AR's for competition that would dump all the brass about 2 feet to the right & front of the shooter. I never had a jam, with over a thousand rounds through each. My wife and I shoot offhand matches pretty much exclusively, and we now don't shoot with an ejector at all. It's all single shot with enough time to fish the case out & put it back in the box. As long as you remember to grab it after you've scoped & recorded each shot, you don't burn your fingers.
Doug White
On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 14:50:33 GMT
<snip>

Is this a modified AR? You pull the bolt back yourself or something to eject the case? You got me curious.
I had a Ruger Mini 14 and thought about modifying it somehow to disable the gas port and then just manually cycle the bolt to eject/re-chamber the next round. Some sort of a switch so you could go back and forth between semi-auto/manual mode. This was way before the internet is what it is today so I haven't actually went searching for info either...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

The 14 is easy to convert. Basically you add a needle valve to the front of the gas block. It allows you to dial down or shut off the gas flow. I did it with mine (before it fell overboard) to tame the action. Folks at the range didn't like getting hit with brass 6 lanes away...
The AR can be modded the same way, or for most folks they just remove the gas tube and block the port or use a blank barrel.
I never understood the conversion to single simply because you could start with a good bolt gun and get better results with less work. But everyone has different tastes.
--
Steve W.

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 16:14:57 -0400
<snip>

Agreed, my 14 chucked out rounds aggressively to say the least. Did you follow some instructions or just wing it on your own?

Thanks for the info Steve. My mistake was I should have started with a good bolt action :) I've read the reviews/comments nowadays off the web and would never have gotten one back then had I known they were so temperamental accuracy wise... Mine was an early model, 1976 Centennial if I remember correctly.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Leon Fisk wrote:

I looked at the system and how other adjustable gas systems worked. Most simply have orifices that rotate into position. Since I shoot various ammo I figured a needle valve would do the same thing and be tunable depending on the rounds fired. I made up a needle with a nice knob so that you could easily back it out in case some unburned powder or dirt got in the port.

The 14 was never intended to be super accurate. The AR/M16 isn't all that great in issue form either. The civilian versions have a LOT of improvements to make them more accurate. Some of those have made it into the issued rifles but many haven't.
I always followed the function over form policy myself. If the firearm goes bang EVERY time the trigger is pulled and hit's within a 2-3" group it works fine for me. I did have a few that if the shooter did their part would put every round through a dime sized group but for the most part for hunting animals as long as you can hit the vital area(s) what more do you need?
--
Steve W.

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 17:02:00 -0400

<snip>

Did a quick web search and found you can buy a kit for this now:
"Accuracy Systems Mini 14 & 30 Adjustable Gas Blocks
- Tired of hitting the fellow 3 shooting benches down in the head and him throwing the brass back at you? - Tired of having to change gas bushings only to find you didn't get the right diameter installed and had to start the process all over again?"
about half way down here:
http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php
Might have been something available back then but I didn't even think about trying to find one. I did think you could modify the gas port area somehow though to accomplish it...
<snip>

I had been seeing the Mini-14 advertised in the magazines of the day and it sounded like the best of both worlds. I'd get the hot little .22 calibre varmint cartridge and semi-auto to boot! If I could have tried one out for 20 rounds or so sitting at the bench I never would have got it. Should have gotten a bolt action with maybe a bit heavier barrel. When I miss something I like knowing that it was MY fault and not maybe that the gun is lucky to hit a dinner plate at 100 yards...
Being able to shoot rapid-fire has never done me any good either except for maybe while Pheasant hunting. Shotguns are used a bit differently I guess...
Your point is understood though. I wouldn't want someone shooting one at me within a 100 yards or so. But trying to take a squirrels head off at 50 yards wouldn't work so well. I think the odds would be in the squirrels favor. All of my .22 rimfire rifles can do that. If you miss you have nothing to blame it on, you just didn't take very good aim.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

It was fun to build up the spaceguns, and all I need to do to convert them back to semi-auto is to drop in a regular bolt and magazine.
I'm actually considering building up a bolt gun in .223. My .308 bolt gun has a foam filled fibergalss stock, and almost all of its 14 pound weight is in the barrel. As long as I can hold it up, it's much more stable than my 14 pound AR, which has a lot more weight in the action, and especially in the adjustable buttstock assembly.
Doug White