Test fired 2nd AR-15

Leon Fisk wrote in news:kodciu$hnh$1@dont- email.me:

The spaceguns have a bolt handle screwed into the side of the bolt carrier, and there is a slot milled in the upper receiver to clear it. You could use the charging handle on a regular AR to get it rolling, but after that, the bolt should lock open after each shot. The side bolt arrangement is needed if you have an adjustmable cheekpiece, because the charging handle typically won't clear the cheekpiece if it's at a good height for most shooting. Here's a photo of the two rifles I built:

There are special single round followers that you can put into the magazines so you just drop a round in and close the bolt to load.

inplastic.aspx

This model just snaps in on top of a regular follower, and you don't have to take the magazine apart.

Doug White Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

"Steve W." wrote in news:kodkfn$tvs$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It was fun to build up the spaceguns, and all I need to do to convert them back to semi-auto is to drop in a regular bolt and magazine.

I'm actually considering building up a bolt gun in .223. My .308 bolt gun has a foam filled fibergalss stock, and almost all of its 14 pound weight is in the barrel. As long as I can hold it up, it's much more stable than my 14 pound AR, which has a lot more weight in the action, and especially in the adjustable buttstock assembly.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Wow, I haven't paid much attention to gun stuff for years now. Thanks for the reply, info, photo...

I've been following Roger's saga, building/milling stuff to make his own AR's. Interesting stuff going on nowadays to say the least.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I looked at the system and how other adjustable gas systems worked. Most simply have orifices that rotate into position. Since I shoot various ammo I figured a needle valve would do the same thing and be tunable depending on the rounds fired. I made up a needle with a nice knob so that you could easily back it out in case some unburned powder or dirt got in the port.

The 14 was never intended to be super accurate. The AR/M16 isn't all that great in issue form either. The civilian versions have a LOT of improvements to make them more accurate. Some of those have made it into the issued rifles but many haven't.

I always followed the function over form policy myself. If the firearm goes bang EVERY time the trigger is pulled and hit's within a 2-3" group it works fine for me. I did have a few that if the shooter did their part would put every round through a dime sized group but for the most part for hunting animals as long as you can hit the vital area(s) what more do you need?

Reply to
Steve W.

Many self loading rifles have adjustable gas ports that one can open wide to smaller and smaller and totally closed with a simple adjustment.

My 1950s FN-49 can be turned off in 2 seconds with the rim of a cartridge case. The later FN-FALs are the same.

Repeat and rinse.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Beautiful! Bravo!!

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you want to own a sub MOA accurate firearm right out of the box...check out the Savage Accutrigger models The FP-10 is a good start.

Then decide what you are going to use it forand what distances..and pick the cartridge.

etc etc etc.

I tend to build most of my own long range accuracy rifles for surprisingly little money...but Ive been dabbling at it for 4 decades.

Gunner, who last night, brought home a Browning A-bolt in 22 Hornet...that had been burned in a fire and is deciding what to do with it...it got hot enough that the barrel is very slightly bent and most of the springs are dead. But the Hornet is a 35klb cartridge....hummmmm

Wall hanger/parts gun, or shooter?

Reply to
Gunner Asch

On 6/1/2013 11:31 PM, Gunner Asch wrote: I haven't actually went searching for info either...

Both the FN49 and the FAL can also be tuned to different ammo by adjusting the gas port.

When I shoot another new (to me) FN49, I start with the gas port all the way open and close it half a turn until I get reliable function, then one more half turn.

I've seen adjustable gas plugs offered for the M1 Garand to allow heavier bullets without stressing the action, as going much above 165 grain isn't supposed to be good for that rifle. NBD, I just shoot M2 ball in mine.

I might look into one if I ever have time to get back to working on my Mongrel, a Beretta BM59 barrel & gas system on a Garand receiver and mag system. I suggested this to Walter Kuleck a long time ago and he then built one with the help of Clint KcKee of Fulton Armory.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

See above.

Getting hard to find...really hard to find. So I handload all my 06 ammo

How did it work out? Any interest by Fulton in making more?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yes, you were talking about turning the gas plug, I was saying these rifles also have the adjustment you mentioned earlier. Just trying yo avoid the impression that these rifles only have an on/off gas plug.

Hard to find? I look in the basement and just haul another case out. CMP still has it, not quite as cheap as it once was.

Oh, yeah, not many houses out there have basements...

:^)

Apparently McKee had fits making it work, but succeeded. I doubt if Fulton Armory would market such, they already offer a '06 or .308 "tanker" option.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Ah!

I have a quantity of HXP ammo, but Im certainly not going to plink with it. Not at 75 cents a round....if one can find it. My 303 Brit ammo is also HXP and that dried up 5 yrs ago.

So I assemble my own and for much less money. Much less.

I dont have a basement. But I have outbuildings. And post hole diggers and access to backhoes. Shrug.

True enough. I was wondering how big a pain in the ass they had.

My last issue weapon was a M14 variant (XM21) and while they are legal here in California...and I did own a Socom (among others) for a while....they are once again..out of my price range and likely to remain outside for a number of years.

Shrug

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Did a quick web search and found you can buy a kit for this now:

"Accuracy Systems Mini 14 & 30 Adjustable Gas Blocks

- Tired of hitting the fellow 3 shooting benches down in the head and him throwing the brass back at you? - Tired of having to change gas bushings only to find you didn't get the right diameter installed and had to start the process all over again?"

about half way down here:

Might have been something available back then but I didn't even think about trying to find one. I did think you could modify the gas port area somehow though to accomplish it...

I had been seeing the Mini-14 advertised in the magazines of the day and it sounded like the best of both worlds. I'd get the hot little .22 calibre varmint cartridge and semi-auto to boot! If I could have tried one out for 20 rounds or so sitting at the bench I never would have got it. Should have gotten a bolt action with maybe a bit heavier barrel. When I miss something I like knowing that it was MY fault and not maybe that the gun is lucky to hit a dinner plate at 100 yards...

Being able to shoot rapid-fire has never done me any good either except for maybe while Pheasant hunting. Shotguns are used a bit differently I guess...

Your point is understood though. I wouldn't want someone shooting one at me within a 100 yards or so. But trying to take a squirrels head off at 50 yards wouldn't work so well. I think the odds would be in the squirrels favor. All of my .22 rimfire rifles can do that. If you miss you have nothing to blame it on, you just didn't take very good aim.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Nah, those days are long gone. All my powder stuff is either sold or mothballed. Nothing has went bang for 20 years? lost track... Just a pfffffft... nowadays. Have an RWS 48 in .177 that gets shot maybe once a year if a rabbit gets inside the garden fence.

Thanks for the link though, interesting firearm that is more to my tastes than the Mini-14 was :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk