Test fired 2nd AR-15

OTOH, he is talking about recreational metalworking and you are not.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I have to go hunt up some steel and make a few flats to have on hand. Getting hard to find the good stuff locally with the mafia don in Albany....

I can say that if you could stamp them out you could likely sell everything you can stamp. I know a bunch of folks looking right now.

Reply to
Steve W.

But they know shit about brushguns. That's American ingenuity, boy.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Now launching the new Brushmaster brand AKs....

Reply to
Pete C.

An advertising blurb for Tawm's BBQ brushes: Our OB BBQ Blaster literally blasts away unwanted grime!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Since 2009, Americans have bought 18 firearms for every individual in the Armed Forces. (That probably includes the Eric Holder Specials sold during Operation Fast and Furious.)

pyotr filipivich

Clarification of that first sentence, please?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Anyone seen these slide fire stocks? I saw some on youtube videos, also Cabelas has them and there is a video. They pretty much make a semi-auto fire about like full auto and according to BATF per Cabelas, they aren't illegal. So on one of the videos, a guy fires 29 .223's at a human size target, gets all rounds in the black. So it fires like a machine gun, it's legal, and it allows for control.

Bad thing is it doesn't appear to be worth $350 but I searched and see people are making their own. They take an ordinary adjustable stock and attach the pistol grip handle to it then a rest to hold your finger on, pull the gun so the trigger hits your finger hard enough to fire, the recoil causes the trigger to reset and continued pull on grip and pressure on trigger makes it fire pretty much like a machine gun. I heard that an actual machine gun fires faster.

Sounds like an interesting project, modify a stock and attach a pistol grip and a finger rest.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I can probably stamp out 10k/day.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sure, send it if you will. I'm sure if it were lucrative, everybody with a punch press would be millionaires. My grandpa stamped out nickles out of brass that he would play in the illegal slot machines...or so a family legend goes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hmmm...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Hmmmm...again!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Most places get between 20 and 40 bucks per flat, depending on which flat type and how much has been done.

Steve W.

Somewhere there is a youtube film of a guy firing a M-16/15 with no add on gizmos. Just letting the gun recoil against his finger on the trigger. It didn't fire as fast as the AR-15's the A.F. had but it certainly was cheaper than the add on.

Reply to
John B.

Slide fire video:

Looks like a good metalworking (& Plastics) project.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

This week I received the parts kit, less stripped lower, that I ordered

2/4/13, website said it would be at least 4 weeks, LOL.

I put the new upper on my 2nd lower and test fired it yesterday, all went well. Jammed several times at first, kind of stiff.

I still haven't assembled my M-16 upper, just have to torque the barrel and pin the gas tube, haven't bolted my vise down yet.

I'd like to make a homemade slide fire stock sometime. We've been shooting and then locating the brass with a metal detector, getting about time to run the progressive press for an hour or so.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

"RogerN" wrote in news:zemdna2UWOJZsDTMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

The design of the ejector is a bit overkill in the AR-15. You can tone it down a bit without any drop in reliability. Competitive shooters do this all the time so they don't lose too much of their match brass. This has to be done in conjunction with the extractor. If you have a stiff extractor spring with an added o-ring, the ejector has to be strong enough to overcome that, and it will throw the stuff all over.

I set up two "spacegun" AR's for competition that would dump all the brass about 2 feet to the right & front of the shooter. I never had a jam, with over a thousand rounds through each. My wife and I shoot offhand matches pretty much exclusively, and we now don't shoot with an ejector at all. It's all single shot with enough time to fish the case out & put it back in the box. As long as you remember to grab it after you've scoped & recorded each shot, you don't burn your fingers.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Is this a modified AR? You pull the bolt back yourself or something to eject the case? You got me curious.

I had a Ruger Mini 14 and thought about modifying it somehow to disable the gas port and then just manually cycle the bolt to eject/re-chamber the next round. Some sort of a switch so you could go back and forth between semi-auto/manual mode. This was way before the internet is what it is today so I haven't actually went searching for info either...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

The 14 is easy to convert. Basically you add a needle valve to the front of the gas block. It allows you to dial down or shut off the gas flow. I did it with mine (before it fell overboard) to tame the action. Folks at the range didn't like getting hit with brass 6 lanes away...

The AR can be modded the same way, or for most folks they just remove the gas tube and block the port or use a blank barrel.

I never understood the conversion to single simply because you could start with a good bolt gun and get better results with less work. But everyone has different tastes.

Reply to
Steve W.

Agreed, my 14 chucked out rounds aggressively to say the least. Did you follow some instructions or just wing it on your own?

Thanks for the info Steve. My mistake was I should have started with a good bolt action :) I've read the reviews/comments nowadays off the web and would never have gotten one back then had I known they were so temperamental accuracy wise... Mine was an early model, 1976 Centennial if I remember correctly.

Reply to
Leon Fisk