Gas Mix Availability- 85/15 Ar/CO2

I'm trying to get some 85% Ar/15%CO2 mix or thereabouts. Currently running
8% CO2 for spray transfer but would like to go with a hotter gas and one
that would be more versatile for short circuit. Although I am in the NY
metro area, the local distributors have no idea why anyone would use
anything other than 75/25. One distributor is affiliated with Praxair, which
has a Stargold C15 mix, but it appears to be special order only. I've
considered a Y type mixing setup, but I don't want to introduce more
complexity and a bit of uncertainty as to exactly what CO2 percentage is in
the mix. Do most suppliers only fill a very limited variety of welding
mixes?
Reply to
ATP*
Locally on the other side of the continent in Canada Praxair had 80/20 which I use. I can just get into spray transfer with it, I had a choice of 75/25 and 80/20. The price difference for my small bottle was only a couple of dollars. Randy
I'm trying to get some 85% Ar/15%CO2 mix or thereabouts. Currently running 8% CO2 for spray transfer but would like to go with a hotter gas and one that would be more versatile for short circuit. Although I am in the NY metro area, the local distributors have no idea why anyone would use anything other than 75/25. One distributor is affiliated with Praxair, which has a Stargold C15 mix, but it appears to be special order only. I've considered a Y type mixing setup, but I don't want to introduce more complexity and a bit of uncertainty as to exactly what CO2 percentage is in the mix. Do most suppliers only fill a very limited variety of welding mixes?
Reply to
R. Zimmerman
Included is the info. for the BOC "Argoshield" MIG gases here in the UK. Most of the time use "Universal" - Ar/12%CO2/2%O2. Seems to work just fine for most applications. Certainly use it at college for 1.6mm sheet no prob. Can get into spray easily enough. Think most would say that "Universal" can be used universally...
Argoshield Light Material below 4mm thick
Argoshield Universal Material between 4mm and 10mm thick
Argoshield Heavy Material for welding above 10mm thick
Argoshield Light Argon, 5% carbon dioxide and 2% oxygen
Argoshield Universal Argon, 12% carbon dioxide with 2% oxygen
Argoshield Heavy Argon, 20% carbon dioxide with 2% oxygen
from

Richard Smith
"R. Zimmerman" writes:
Reply to
Richard Smith
80/20 would be good. Our dealer is a Praxair distributor, but they seem to be limited to 75/25 or 92/8. I guess anything else is a special order which would entail too much hassle on their part.
Reply to
ATP*