AR-15 Test Fire

I test fired the AR-15 today, 29 rounds with no problems (except for
dropping 1 round, metal detector to come out later, have to locate some
brass too!). I shot up a can from fairly close range, need to set up target
at a distance and get the iron sights set. Nineteen shots were factory ammo
and 10 were reloads.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
Very satisfying to test fire the rifle you personally built isn't it?
Reply to
Pete C.
Now build an AR-30!
Reply to
Tom Gardner
You should be warned, building your own rifles is addicting. Its the reason i don't have time to make a pulley for my airblast sprayer.
Karl
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Is that the .308 version? I've seen Armalite, IIRC, has an "AR-10" that shoots .308, 7.62 NATO.
I've been looking at the .300 AAC Blackout, it seems to be a 30 caliber round in a 223 case with similar ballistics to the 7.62 X 39. The advantage is supposed to be that all you need to change is the barrel, the magazines for the 5.56 / 223 fit the 300 blackout. They're supposed to be for ~100 - 200 grain bullets. Still hard to find many items in stock, I'd like to find other reasonable priced 80% lowers.
I saw some 50 BMG uppers that fit on AR-15 lowers, bolt action though.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
Yes, it's also nice that you can finish machining them in less than the 24 hour waiting period it takes to buy one.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
But, what will liberals think? Do you live near a school?
Me, being conservative. What's the advantage of a rifle that small? Typical FMJ of 55 grains. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus
. .
I test fired the AR-15 today, 29 rounds with no problems (except for dropping 1 round, metal detector to come out later, have to locate some brass too!). I shot up a can from fairly close range, need to set up target at a distance and get the iron sights set. Nineteen shots were factory ammo and 10 were reloads.
RogerN
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
No nearby schools. Then only reason I'd have to want a gun around a school is if someone was there hurting the kids, another Adama Lanza a--hole type. But that's the kind of people this liberal, anti-morality society produces. It would be terrible if Adam Lanza would have read in school that "Thou shall not kill" and might have obeyed it!
They often shoot 70-80 grain bullets at 500-600 yards from what I've read. The advantage of the small cartridge is that you can get 30 of them in a pretty small magazine. In the same size brass, using the same bolt, magazines,.. just change the barrel and you can use 30 caliber bullets in the 100-200 grain range.
Now, if you're a Christian they label you as a terrorist, the leftist put Christians on their list of terrorists before Islamic extremists. Never mind the fact that almost all acts of terrorism come from the Muslims, they ignore that, it's the people that believe in Jesus that they claim are terrorists. The people that flew planes loaded with civilians into buildings full of civilians, they aren't terrorists according to the left, the people that celebrate Christmas & Easter are the terrorists per them. Their kind hated Jesus without reason and today they hate those who believe in Jesus, just like the Bible said they would.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
Might want to ask the US Military about that. And the current rounds are between 63-68 grs with a steel core.
Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner Asch
"RogerN" on Sun, 14 Apr 2013 21:38:34 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
The liberals will "think" nothing. They are as free of the ravages of intelligent "thought" as it is possible and still simulate sentience. OTOH, the Liberals will emote like teenage girls at a Justine Beiber concert. Pavlov's dogs look at liberals and say "Have you no self-control?" -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
Reply to
pyotr filipivich
Yep, now you're hooked. Time to join weaponsguild.com
Reply to
Karl Townsend
Actually, if you read a little history you'll find that the Christians have likely killed more people than probably anyone else. The Mongol Hordes used to massacre entire cities but they were only around for a few years. the Christians have been at it for nearly 2,000 years.
Reply to
J.B.Slocomb
This.
The problem is that liberalizm is just another religion essentially and all religions are subject to their zealots. You can't run a country on "feelings" any more than you can run one on "faith", only rational critical thinking and dealing with issues instead of being mindlessly mired in an ideology can produce progress.
Reply to
Pete C.
+1
Freudian slip over the very feminine lad, Pete? ;)
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Yep. Some say "slowing down"...
Reply to
Richard
"The Christians" or people who Were Christians as a side note?
Buddhists have killed many millions. And we are alleged to be "non violent"
Reply to
Gunner Asch
You don't HAVE to use FMJ if you're a civilian. It's just that that's been cheap ammo to plink with in the past. Not so much now, over a buck a shot, no surplus, it's all been shot up in the world wars. And 55 gr FMJ is Vietnam-era stuff, twists have changed since that time, current issue stuff is heavier, 69 gr. is popular. Long range target shooters will use much heavier stuff than that, up to 90-100 grains. Have to single load them, though, too long for a magazine. Anyway, you can get most any weight from 32 grains on up in .224" bullets. The jacket thickness determines what it's used for. Not quite mouse to elephant, but guys do use the AR with heavier bullets and thicker jackets for hogs and antelope, among other critters, where legal. Most bullets sold in .224" size are for varmint shooting, there's a whole line of non-lead bullets called "Varmint Grenades". My dog gun will do one hole groups with the right reloads, some guys have won benchrest competitions with ARs. Not your granddaddy's M16 anymore. 40-50 years of competition shooting will do that.
As far as "advantage", it's the same as it's always been, light weight, low recoil, very accurate, easy to keep going. Worn-out barrel replacement is easy with some minimal tooling, basically a drop in thing with torqueing a big nut up to spec. Caliber/barrel length change is easier, just pull out two pins and drop on another upper in the desired caliber. .17 to .50 BMG are available. Want a short carbine, 20 seconds will do it. Ditto for a long barrel varmint gun. Want a short-range hog buster, there's the .450 Bushmaster. All developed on the private industry nickel, not some government program. Brownell's has a catalog just for ARs and derivatives that's about the size of their early '70s catalogs, thicker even than the one for 1911 pistols.
Stan
Reply to
Stanley Schaefer
I know it's not the case for you but, I've noticed I just don't get as much done in a day as I used to.....what's up with that???
Reply to
Tom Gardner
I think the caliber that would interest me is 6mm PPC or other ultra accurate bench rest. I had a .240 Gibbs that could well but it's really obsolete now with some of the new wildcats and even off-the-shelf stuff. Problem is, I just don't have any real use for a rifle toy or a convenient place to use it.
Reply to
Tom Gardner