AR-15 Test Fire

I think the building is WAY more enjoyable than shooting!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Stan, your post is a strong argument for the AR platform.

LJ, now scratching...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The days are shorter. Thats the only answer.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Old age? :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hereafter Disease. Walk into a room, look around, and then ask yourself "Hmm, what am I here after?"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And why is everybody using smaller print?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I always walk to the machine shop or the office, about 200' before the disease manifests itself.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ive got that!!!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Now, if you're a Christian they label you as a terrorist, the leftist put Christians on their list of terrorists before Islamic extremists. Never mind the fact that almost all acts of terrorism come from the Muslims, they ignore that, it's the people that believe in Jesus that they claim are terrorists. The people that flew planes loaded with civilians into buildings full of civilians, they aren't terrorists according to the left, the people that celebrate Christmas & Easter are the terrorists per them. Their kind hated Jesus without reason and today they hate those who believe in Jesus, just like the Bible said they would.

RogerN

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, if you read a little history you'll find that the Christians have likely killed more people than probably anyone else. The Mongol Hordes used to massacre entire cities but they were only around for a few years. the Christians have been at it for nearly 2,000 years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And why is everybody using smaller print?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Recent episode of Yukon Men. Stan was hunting elk with a center fire that really set him back a couple steps when he fired. His son Joey was using AR looking rifle. I was thinking the boy is not going to be a successful hunter, trying to take down elk with a 55 grain FMJ.

You don't HAVE to use FMJ if you're a civilian. It's just that that's been cheap ammo to plink with in the past. Not so much now, over a buck a shot, no surplus, it's all been shot up in the world wars. And

55 gr FMJ is Vietnam-era stuff, twists have changed since that time, current issue stuff is heavier, 69 gr. is popular. Long range target shooters will use much heavier stuff than that, up to 90-100 grains. Have to single load them, though, too long for a magazine. Anyway, you can get most any weight from 32 grains on up in .224" bullets. The jacket thickness determines what it's used for. Not quite mouse to elephant, but guys do use the AR with heavier bullets and thicker jackets for hogs and antelope, among other critters, where legal. Most bullets sold in .224" size are for varmint shooting, there's a whole line of non-lead bullets called "Varmint Grenades". My dog gun will do one hole groups with the right reloads, some guys have won benchrest competitions with ARs. Not your granddaddy's M16 anymore. 40-50 years of competition shooting will do that.

As far as "advantage", it's the same as it's always been, light weight, low recoil, very accurate, easy to keep going. Worn-out barrel replacement is easy with some minimal tooling, basically a drop in thing with torqueing a big nut up to spec. Caliber/barrel length change is easier, just pull out two pins and drop on another upper in the desired caliber. .17 to .50 BMG are available. Want a short carbine, 20 seconds will do it. Ditto for a long barrel varmint gun. Want a short-range hog buster, there's the .450 Bushmaster. All developed on the private industry nickel, not some government program. Brownell's has a catalog just for ARs and derivatives that's about the size of their early '70s catalogs, thicker even than the one for 1911 pistols.

Stan

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Larry Jaques on Mon, 15 Apr 2013

06:08:11 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Considering all I know of it is what I read in the papers - who cares.

Liberals emote like teenage cheerleaders on helium looking at kitties and unicorns.

pyotr filipivich

J.B.Slocomb on Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:34:29

+0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Really?

My reading of history leads me to the conclusion that those who spout such nonsense don't know history, and are just pouting the party line. The Third Reich alone killed more people per day over the curse of twelve years than the Inquisition did over three hundred years.

Nice non-sequitur. The Mongols wiped out Persia, the Kievian Empire. Flattened, dead, destroyed. "Bombed back into the stone age". Now show me where the "Christians" left wastelands behind.

pyotr filipivich

WALK? You can still walk? I fell last week, bounced off a wall and stepped on a sharp piece of plastic. Then the VA finally gave me my new cane, yesterday. The swelling is mostly gone, but I sure can't walk very well.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Good thing I started with four gears...

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

it takes me two days to do what i used to do in one.

My problem, they keep making the eyes in the fishooks smaller.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

My son gives me a hard time, most of my builds get fired 20 times and then stored in the safe.

Still, I spent nearly 40 years just working, even the machine work was to support the farm, Now most of my time is on fun, shootin' and fishin'.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

There are eyes in 'em? I just tie around the shank. Today was the worst! A control box with 8 relays on a machine I didn't wire...it looks like spaghetti----very small spaghetti, all the same color, BLUE! I HATE blue! AND, the lighting is terrible there, I had to wear a headlamp while leaning over at a bad angle to troubleshoot. Now my back hurts and I'm half blind and still can't find the problem.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

My buddy Roger here says that the VA in Cleveland is WONDERFUL! He gets appointments sometimes the same day and the staff is very good. Come on up! (hope you heal-up soon)

Reply to
Tom Gardner