BREAKING: ATF Temporarily Pulls Proposal to Ban AR-15 "Green Tip" Ammunition

BREAKING: ATF Temporarily Pulls Proposal to Ban AR-15 "Green Tip"
Ammunition
Katie Pavlich | Mar 10, 2015

After an unprecedented response, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and
Firearms has temporarily pulled its proposal to ban common AR-15 M885
"green tip" ammunition.
You spoke, we listened. @ATFHQ plans more study on the proposed AP
Ammo exemption framework. See more http://t.co/SmRKMYvw7J

"Although ATF endeavored to create a proposal that reflected a good
faith interpretation of the law and balanced the interests of law
enforcement, industry, and sportsmen, the vast majority of the
comments received to date are critical of the framework, and include
issues that deserve further study," an ATF press release states
(emphasis mine). "Accordingly, ATF will not at this time seek to issue
a final framework. After the close of the comment period, ATF will
process the comments received, further evaluate the issues raised
therein, and provide additional open and transparent process (for
example, through additional proposals and opportunities for comment)
before proceeding with any framework."
Members on both sides of the aisle in Congress have also been highly
critical of the proposal, along with the National Rifle Association
and the National Shooting Sports Foundation. The Bureau received extra
scrutiny last week when it was discovered the new ATF 2014 Regulation
Guidebook did not include an exemption for AR-15 "green tip"
ammunition as "armor piercing." ATF has said the Regulation Guidebook
will be updated to include the exemption.
ATF released the proposal in February for public comment, citing law
enforcement safety as justification for the ban. A timeline for
"further study" of the proposed ban has not been issued.
Representatives, I am pleased that the Obama Administration has
abandoned its attack on the Second Amendment. Congress will continue
to steadfastly protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding
citizens and it is entirely inappropriate for President Obama to
stretch his regulatory authority to implement partisan policies that
Congress has refused to enact. Such an abuse of power would impact
to legally and responsibly exercise their Second Amendment rights,"
and other members of the House Judiciary Committee will continue to
keep a watchful eye on the Obama Administration so that we protect
United States to infringe upon the Second Amendment rights afforded to
Despite the reversal, ATF will continue taking public comments about
this proposal through March 16. "Green tip" ammunition is safe, for
now.
PJ O'Rourke
Reply to
Gunner Asch
I love their logic. In order to be faithful to the law, we have to tweak the law to satisfy other interests.
If the law is tweakable, we are not a nation of laws. We are a nation of what passes for a version of the law which satisfies special interests at the moment.
Reply to
Winston_Smith
And do the tweaking, not by legislation in a law making body but by finessing the rule making process in an autonomous executive agency.
Reply to
Winston_Smith
[Hey! We said CANCEL the ban, not temporarily....]
@ATFHQ plans more study on the proposed AP
[What part of cancel don't....]
[You mean opposed?]
[You mean try again later?]
[You mean later?]
[Procede, we must!]
[Well, there it is, boys. They are going ahead.]
[That's not what you just wrote, above.]
[Note: We are endowed by our Creator with rights. Rights are not granted by ammendments.]
[You mean God given rights, correct?]
We cannot allow the President of the
[You mean God given rights, correct?]
[For now....]