BREAKING: ATF Temporarily Pulls Proposal to Ban AR-15 "Green Tip" Ammunition

BREAKING: ATF Temporarily Pulls Proposal to Ban AR-15 "Green Tip" Ammunition Katie Pavlich | Mar 10, 2015

After an unprecedented response, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms has temporarily pulled its proposal to ban common AR-15 M885 "green tip" ammunition.

You spoke, we listened. @ATFHQ plans more study on the proposed AP Ammo exemption framework. See more http://t.co/SmRKMYvw7J

"Although ATF endeavored to create a proposal that reflected a good faith interpretation of the law and balanced the interests of law enforcement, industry, and sportsmen, the vast majority of the comments received to date are critical of the framework, and include issues that deserve further study," an ATF press release states (emphasis mine). "Accordingly, ATF will not at this time seek to issue a final framework. After the close of the comment period, ATF will process the comments received, further evaluate the issues raised therein, and provide additional open and transparent process (for example, through additional proposals and opportunities for comment) before proceeding with any framework."

Members on both sides of the aisle in Congress have also been highly critical of the proposal, along with the National Rifle Association and the National Shooting Sports Foundation. The Bureau received extra scrutiny last week when it was discovered the new ATF 2014 Regulation Guidebook did not include an exemption for AR-15 "green tip" ammunition as "armor piercing." ATF has said the Regulation Guidebook will be updated to include the exemption.

ATF released the proposal in February for public comment, citing law enforcement safety as justification for the ban. A timeline for "further study" of the proposed ban has not been issued.

Representatives, I am pleased that the Obama Administration has abandoned its attack on the Second Amendment. Congress will continue to steadfastly protect the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens and it is entirely inappropriate for President Obama to stretch his regulatory authority to implement partisan policies that Congress has refused to enact. Such an abuse of power would impact

to legally and responsibly exercise their Second Amendment rights,"

and other members of the House Judiciary Committee will continue to keep a watchful eye on the Obama Administration so that we protect

United States to infringe upon the Second Amendment rights afforded to

Despite the reversal, ATF will continue taking public comments about this proposal through March 16. "Green tip" ammunition is safe, for now.

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child, miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." PJ O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I love their logic. In order to be faithful to the law, we have to tweak the law to satisfy other interests.

If the law is tweakable, we are not a nation of laws. We are a nation of what passes for a version of the law which satisfies special interests at the moment.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

And do the tweaking, not by legislation in a law making body but by finessing the rule making process in an autonomous executive agency.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

[Hey! We said CANCEL the ban, not temporarily....]

@ATFHQ plans more study on the proposed AP

[What part of cancel don't....]
[You mean opposed?]

[You mean try again later?]

[You mean later?]

[Procede, we must!]

[Well, there it is, boys. They are going ahead.]
[That's not what you just wrote, above.]
[Note: We are endowed by our Creator with rights. Rights are not granted by ammendments.]
[You mean God given rights, correct?]

We cannot allow the President of the

[You mean God given rights, correct?]

[For now....]