[F-FT] RMS delay question/comment

Just a quick question/comment about the delay kits supplied with the Aerotech RMS reload kits, such as the 29mm and 38mm ones.
It appears that across the board, these kits are designed for Short (6 second), Medium (10 second), and Long (14 second) delays. And I understand that the composition will react differently depending upon the propellant (and thus the pressures) achieved, and all of that. But it seems to me that the difference between 6 seconds and 10 seconds is an eternity in 'rocket years'.
I also understand that the engines are certified with the supplied/recommended delay values, and that the great the number of delays 'listed', the more engines would have to be certified for certification.
With all that having been said, if the manufacturer were to release a list of what RDK kits would provide (for example) an 8 second delay for various motors, would this be 'allowed' for use (sport use, not competition) at launches? In other words, although it wouldn't be a 'certified' combination, as I understand the rules you're alllowed to modify motors PER MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS.
If this isn't currently allowed, does anyone have any experience with this, and does anyone have any suggested language that could be submitted for a change in the regulations to allow this kind of thing?
Any comments on this (without degenerating in to flames)?
David Erbas-White

Generally yes. If certified that way. Ie a SINGLE motor firing.

That has not been tested in the particular way you describe. However a delay mod tool would be permissible.
Again if tested.

I have submitted it several times and it has been rejected by TMT, S&T, and NFPA sport rocket caucus.

Wrong again Jerry.

It HAS been submitted and certified for CTI. And long befire that Synerjet had a very nice delay adjustment tool, although I believe that predates motor certification. I still have mine!
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.

Only one motor per delay is required for HPR and I believe 3 for MR.

Is that to get caught mislabling them or to certify?
On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:33:41 -0700, David Erbas-White

If I were RSO and I knew you did it, I would quiz you about it and if you knew what you were doing, I'd most likely sign off on it. Not all RSOs would.
Cesaroni and Loki have the same adjustment methods. You might want to check them out.

At a TRA (not EX) or NAR launch?
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.

Gary recomended to me in 1989 to use 1/32 of an inch to remove delay to get a reduction of one second.
I still use that method to get what your looking for.
no one will ask, so don't tell ;-)

Clinton says so.
What size bit do should you use to obtain these results?

3/16"+

Also, put the drilled hole side in towards the motor grain, just like you do on a CTI.
Have a look how you cut a Pro38 delay, and take the same approach to the RMS+
I was first shown on single use motors, and had to use a skinny bit though the ejection port. hard.
RMS makes it more exact to adjust.

Hold the drill bit in your hand.

The Synerjet tool was much smaller, perhaps 3/32"

Doesn't matter which side is drilled.

Yup. Many SU motors are made with LONG delays, then drilled down for shorter delays. The end result is some continued delay burn after ejection, dubbed the Hibachi effect because of what it does typically to small competition models (The Apogee/AT motors like the B7 were noted for this).
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.

One of the many problems with Synerjet.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

The SynerJet delay tool works just fine. The reason it uses a narrow bit is so that it can be used on single-use motors as well as reloadables.
<
james hendricksen wrote:

I use a special tool that SynerJet used to sell years ago, which is basically made out of a 1/16" diameter drill bit.

Take a couple pictures of it and put it on a web page, even mine.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Good idea. I just shot some pics of it, assembled and disassembled. I'll post them once I get them developed and scanned.

Don't have a digital camera, eh?