[F-FT] RMS delay question/comment

Just a quick question/comment about the delay kits supplied with the Aerotech RMS reload kits, such as the 29mm and 38mm ones.

It appears that across the board, these kits are designed for Short (6 second), Medium (10 second), and Long (14 second) delays. And I understand that the composition will react differently depending upon the propellant (and thus the pressures) achieved, and all of that. But it seems to me that the difference between 6 seconds and 10 seconds is an eternity in 'rocket years'.

I also understand that the engines are certified with the supplied/recommended delay values, and that the great the number of delays 'listed', the more engines would have to be certified for certification.

With all that having been said, if the manufacturer were to release a list of what RDK kits would provide (for example) an 8 second delay for various motors, would this be 'allowed' for use (sport use, not competition) at launches? In other words, although it wouldn't be a 'certified' combination, as I understand the rules you're alllowed to modify motors PER MANUFACTURER'S RECOMMENDATIONS.

If this isn't currently allowed, does anyone have any experience with this, and does anyone have any suggested language that could be submitted for a change in the regulations to allow this kind of thing?

Any comments on this (without degenerating in to flames)?

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Generally yes. If certified that way. Ie a SINGLE motor firing.

That has not been tested in the particular way you describe. However a delay mod tool would be permissible.

Again if tested.

I have submitted it several times and it has been rejected by TMT, S&T, and NFPA sport rocket caucus.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If I were RSO and I knew you did it, I would quiz you about it and if you knew what you were doing, I'd most likely sign off on it. Not all RSOs would.

Cesaroni and Loki have the same adjustment methods. You might want to check them out.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Gary recomended to me in 1989 to use 1/32 of an inch to remove delay to get a reduction of one second.

I still use that method to get what your looking for.

no one will ask, so don't tell ;-)

Reply to
AlMax

Clinton says so.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
james hendricksen

3/16"+
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Also, put the drilled hole side in towards the motor grain, just like you do on a CTI.

Have a look how you cut a Pro38 delay, and take the same approach to the RMS+

I was first shown on single use motors, and had to use a skinny bit though the ejection port. hard.

RMS makes it more exact to adjust.

Reply to
AlMax

Hold the drill bit in your hand.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Fly Loki Research motors. They provide more delay time choices; 5, 8,

10, 13, and 17 seconds.

-Jeff Taylor Loki Research

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

We are working on a new product that will allow you to set the delay time from 1 to 30 seconds in 1-second increments.

Or, using Jerry's suggestion, you have an "infinite" number of choices.

Gary/RCS

In article 59d5e.70$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga, Jeff Taylor at snipped-for-privacy@dev.null wrote on

4/7/05 10:22 AM:

Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield

Ditto.

Generally, yes.

8
Reply to
raydunakin

I use a special tool that SynerJet used to sell years ago, which is basically made out of a 1/16" diameter drill bit.

raydunakin

Since Aerotech is clearly dominant in the marketplace, what they choose to do is probably of more intererst to more people by a rather large margin.

I happen to believe the AeroTech by RCS LUR product is destined to become a watershed product.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Take a couple pictures of it and put it on a web page, even mine.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'm very familiar with CTI's approach to adjusting delay grains and it seems LOKI motors have a similar capability. But just to summarize what I'v read so far until RCS comes out with their delay adjustment technique you should:

-use a 3/16" drill bit

-by hand drill a hole in the center bottom of the delay element (facing the motor grain)

-remove 1/32" of material for each second of reduction required

If I have a 10 sec. delay element and I need 8 sec., remove 1/16" of delay with a 3/16" drill bit -- correct?

Reply to
Bruce Sexton

In article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Jerry Irvine at snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote on 4/7/05 12:14 PM:

BTW the F20 LUR motors are being tested for certification this weekend.

Gary/RCS

Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Congratulations again Gary.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Good idea. I just shot some pics of it, assembled and disassembled. I'll post them once I get them developed and scanned.

Reply to
raydunakin