[F-FT] RMS delay question/comment

There are no barriers to entry in the F and G range of rocketry, other than age limits imposed by the CPSC. Anyone over 18 years of age can buy and use those motors, and kids can use them if an adult buys them. So you can't claim that "barriers to entry" are inhibiting growth of the market for those motors.

=20

=BF

Reply to
raydunakin

There are a few problems with this. The most important being just how do you control the depth? The nature of the tool used to adjust Pro38 delay's is what makes that system usable. You would be better off laying in a stock of RDK+ delay kits and swapping to get the desired length.

Then if you believe the article in Extreme Rocketry (claiming that the precise radial position of the igniter changes the delay time), drilling a hole on the motor side will have no effect at all. But that theory has holes you can drive a Saturn V through.

Reply to
David Schultz

Nope. It may be "old school", but film suits me fine. Especially now that I can get my photos put on a CD at the same time I get prints made. The only real advantage digital cameras have at this point is the instant gratification factor.

Reply to
raydunakin

Ouch!

Reply to
raydunakin

Yet there hasn't been any test data released to back these claims up for over a decade. The actual delay values are a SECRET, contrary to NFPA requirements.

NO. They must be flown as submitted for testing. Uncertified delay combinations are not permitted.

In general there tend to not be delays that fall inbetween S and M or M and L for example Take for example the delays for the 29mm H128. The delay in an H128M would be a S in a G75, and a L in a H238. An H238S delay would be way to short in an H128 and eject before burnout in a G75. And if there were a delay for a G75L it would be an XXL in an H238, probably resulting in a lawn dart.

So there usually aren't delays "in between" the certified ones, just delays that are too short or too long to be useful for a given motor.

The solution is adjustable delays as certified with CTI motors...

Bob Kaplow

Wrong again Jerry.

It HAS been submitted and certified for CTI. And long befire that Synerjet had a very nice delay adjustment tool, although I believe that predates motor certification. I still have mine!

Bob Kaplow

Works for MOST delays, but not all of them. Particularly not the RMS delays with the black stripe on the tube, which have a different (slower?) burn rate.

This is not permitted at either an NAR or TRA launch. They WILL ask. Unless you LIE and claim that your H128-8 (uncertified cuz it was modified) is an H128-10. Lie to an RSO/SCO and prepare to be permanently booted out of every organized rocketry organization on the planet.

Bob Kaplow

At a TRA (not EX) or NAR launch?

Bob Kaplow

The bit size doesn't really matter. Neither does what side you drill (propellant side or ejection side). What matters is the total thickness at the minimum point.

And that a delay modified like this in the absence of manufacturer support (i.e. CTI delay adjustment tool) is an uncertified motor not permitted at any NAR or TRA launch. Fly elsewhere, and have at it.

In the past, before TRA motor certification, I've had 3 different manufacturers do this for me! Including the motor I used for my original cert flight in 1989.

Bob Kaplow

The Synerjet tool was much smaller, perhaps 3/32"

Doesn't matter which side is drilled.

Yup. Many SU motors are made with LONG delays, then drilled down for shorter delays. The end result is some continued delay burn after ejection, dubbed the Hibachi effect because of what it does typically to small competition models (The Apogee/AT motors like the B7 were noted for this).

Bob Kaplow

At the LMR end, absolutely correct.

AT stuff started showing up in Hobby Lobby stores across the country just before the fire. I hope you can get back in there and more. I don't think TRU et al is a viable market for LMR.

Bob Kaplow

I'll bet the plywood is imported too. Here in the USA, we use ply from Scandaniva. What do you use for native glue? Vegamite? Perhaps a Diggerie-Do (sp) could be used for a native body tube :-)

Bob Kaplow

-----snip-----

Yet if the manufacturer's would add a paragraph to the reload kit instructions detailing how to drill the delay grain to achieve the desired final delay during flight two things would happen:

1) We would have virtually unlimited delay times which could be honed as desired for each flight

and

2) Nobody would have to LIE to an RSO.

John

Reply to
John Bonnett

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

  1. Masking tape on the drill bit.

  1. Calipers with depth guage and trial and error.

Slightly, less than 25% of the inherent delay error BTW.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You live in Kalifornia. You for one should be 100% convinced you are wrong.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

One of the many problems with Synerjet.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Only one motor per delay is required for HPR and I believe 3 for MR.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Point.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I guess they're probably imported to!!! I gotta get out of this country....(I luv it)

I use Spinifex (Grass) resin for glue.....have used Bees wax and gum tree sap also..... Emu tendons make great recovery lines and a sugar glider could be the parachute...........

A digery-doo.....Now that would be a cool rocket......Sure would make and interesting sound!!! I could use wattle leaves as fins and stick a Koala in the NC for a payload.....

Just great........now the greenies are after me....!!!

CJC