hi 308 ammo prices

Christmas came early this year. A DPMS Panther LR-308 is coming home in a few days.

THEN, I looked at buying ammo. Holy shit, prices have went up. I got a foot locker full of .223 several years back for a song. I can see that ain't the case now.

I want to start with 1000 rounds and Wolf or other off shore surplus and foreign manufacture don't interest me. Any suggestions on where and what to purchase? This would be for long range target practice.

Has the obama ammo scare passed yet? In other words should I wait a few months? Can I save a bunch reloading? FWIW, I reloaded a lot of trap shot shells when I went through 250 a week shooting in competition. I find reloading to not be a pleasurable pastime.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:4af9809f$0$65862$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

The situation is slowly improving. Stuff like primers that were non- existent for a long time are beginning to show up in stores again. Howwever, prices are generally still quite high, or they may have quantity restrictions. A friend on mine with an FFL talked to CCI, and they swear they are selling primers for the same wholesale price they did a year ago, but the retail price is up by $5 to $10 per K (20% - 30%). There are some places that are really gouging, charging $40 or even $60/K. I'm making a note not to do business with them in the future. Rifle ammo is available, but as you've discovered, the prices are high & the selection limited. I suspect the pipeline of surplus ammo has been exahusted for quite some time to come.

Your best bet is to find a gun show nearby. The competition tends to keep prices down, and you will get the best selection in one place. get there early, and bring a folding handcart if you are planning on buying much ammo.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Karl...frankly..Id handload the ammo. You can load it for about $0.25 a round or less.

Find the load that shoots the best in your firearm..then simply crank em out. And Id consider purchasing a Dillon XL 650 reloading machine. With the stuff for .308. Used is fine. Check Craigslist, Ebay, the various websites.

Once you set it up..you simply feed in bullets and cases and just pull the handle.

As for powder and components..I believe Id wait a few months if you think you can do so. Shrug....$0.045 cents a primer isnt a lot..but it adds up in a hurry

Prices will continue to fall after the first of the year. I just dont know how far down they will go. The economy is still far far from the bottom and things are still going downhill. DISCLAIMER: The content does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my ISP, myself, my company or employer, my friends (if any,) my goldfish or my neighbour's mad dog; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; the post is distribution copyrighted to the extent that you may distribute the post and all its associated parts freely but you may not make a profit from it or include the post in commercial publications without written permission from the Prime Minister of Hutt Province; other copyright laws for specific posts apply wherever noted or not noted, either deliberately, negligently, or otherwise; posts are subject to change without notice; posts are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; do not pass go; do not collect $200; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; the post is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; the post is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied; user assumes full liabilities; not liable for damages due to use or misuse; an equal opportunity abuse employer; no shoes, no shirt; quantities are limited while supplies last; if defects are discovered, do not attempt to fix them yourself but return to an authorised post service centre; caveat emptor; read at your own risk; parental advisory - explicit words; text may contain material some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised; not suitable for children; not suitable for adults; not for human consumption; keep away from sunlight, pets and small children; limit one-per-family; no money down; no purchase necessary; to approved purchasers only; facsimiles are acceptable in South Australia; you need not be present to read this post; some assembly required; batteries not included; action figures sold separately; no preservatives added; tools not included; safety goggles may be required during use; sealed for your protection, do not use if the safety seal is broken; call before you dig; for external use only; if a rash, redness, irritation or swelling develops, discontinue use; use only with proper ventilation; avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool, dry place; keep away from open flames, naked flames and old flames; avoid inhaling fumes; avoid contact with mucous membranes; do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 60 degrees Centigrade; do not place near flammable or magnetic source; smoking the post may be hazardous to your health; the best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a good laugh; text used on the post is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles; no animals were used to test the hilarity of this post other than Synapse Syndrome; no salt, MSG, artificial colour or flavour added; may contain traces of replies to peanuts; if ingested, do not induce vomiting, if symptoms persist, consult your humourologist; post is ribbed for your pleasure; slippery when wet; must be 18 to read; possible penalties for early withdrawal; post offer valid only in participating newsgroups; slightly higher in South Australia; allow four to six weeks for delivery; damage from hurricane, lightning, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, flood, orgasm, misuse, self-abuse, neglect, unauthorised repair, damage from improper installation, broken antenna, marred cabinet, incorrect line voltage, missing or altered serial numbers, sonic boom vibrations, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts or other Acts of God are not covered; incidents owing to aeroplane crash, ship sinking, motor vehicle accidents, leaky roof, broken glass, falling rocks, mud

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Check out 'cheaper than dirt - latest caytalogue. They offer Federal 'Eagle' 150Gr. FMJ at $15.99/box of 20. (Shoots MOA accurate out of my rifle.)

ralleyrat

Looks like I need to get in the hand load bidness. I ordered 250 rounds today with four different made in USA brands. I'll sight the gun in and see what it likes.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I starting to hate you ;)

It has been that way since we figured out Obama was going to win. A bit of panic a bit of knowing the traits of those in power. The art of diplomacy is saying nice doggie, nice doggie while looking for a rock to bash its brains out. For many in Washington, we are the doggies.

Currently out of stock on what you need. Back when I shot Highpower with a M1 Garand, these are the guys I bought from.

I'd start learning how to hand load. Most of the operations are fairly mechanical, no brainer stuff you can do while watching tv.

The primer, powder and bullet seating part, you really need to pay attention to.

Well, I usually used a Lee Autoprime. I'd prime cases while watching tv. It has good feel and you can do that half aware.

Really Pay Attention to the Following:

Use a loading block after charging cases with powder, pay good attention, shine maglight down each case to see powder level, 1 of every x cases checks of powder measure to keep things safe and honest.

Cross check any load with other manuals. Keep in mind that 20 year old powder might not match up with last years manual and vs versa.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Ah...thats not how it works if you are planning on handloading.

You load 5 of a given bullet, primer and powder weight. Load the lightest load in the manual.

Load 5 more, using .5gr more powder

Load 5 more, using an additonal .5gr more powder

etc etc until you reach maxium recommended powder

Then go to the range and carefuly shoot the first 5, measure group

then shoot the 2nd 5, measure group

then shoot the 3rd 5..measure group

Continue until you have fired all your loads and then use the best loading you found

Give the rifle a minute between shots, 5 minutes between groups of 5

This allows any over heating of barrel and action to be minimized and you will have far far less flyers.

Use a good sandbag rest when shooting and aim at the same tiny aiming point each time.

This will show you what your gun likes.

Factory ammo will shoot perhaps in 2" (example only) and you will find a given loading that will shoot under 1" (example only) (often much smaller)

That way...if you do need highly accurate fire, you will have that ammo in your weapon.

Then battle rattle off 10 rounds and find out where they go when the barrel gets hot. Something you MUST need to know.

Btw..in the 308...the Hornaday 168gr JHP is not always the best bullet. Sometimes the 155 Palma or whatever will shoot far better.

Ive a Ruger 77V....heavy barrel varminter in 308..that prefers the 150 gr boat tail from Sierra. Another heavy barrel in .308 shoots 168s much better but loves the 175gr Match Kings.

Shrug...

Gunner

[...]

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:03:07 -0600, the infamous "Karl Townsend" scrawled the following:

Um, not in the slightest.

I'd recommend settling on a case of Wolf for now, then get more later, when prices relax. If a revolution happened, you wouldn't want to be caught without plenty of defensive ammo in stock, Karl. ;)

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

panic a bit of

Good suggestions all. The AutoPrime is a great tool while watching the TV.

Indeed. So if changing out to a new quanity of powder..reduce 10% and work up an accurate load again.

Which is why I generally buy 8lb kegs rather than 1 lb cans. I can load a shitload more cartridges before having to change load dynamics. This for rifles btw..handguns are far less "sensitive"

Or try to buy a bunch of 1lb cans known to be from a given many ton lot, all marked the same.

Gunner

[...]

No cheap ammo out there unless it's a C&R type. The 5.56 and 30-06 stuff has dried up. I did manage to hunt up 500 rounds of .308 for a good price a few weeks ago but it's getting REALLY scarce.

I keep some .223, .308, 30-06 and .50 on hand. Not as many as I'd like but I sold some off to friends.

I do load some of my own, especially the .50 stuff. I have three different presses plus a couple hand loaders for shot shells.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for all the good advice, Gunner. This has not been my area of expertise. The way the world has been going the last year or so, I'm moving a personal firearm supply way up in priority.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Let the Record show that Larry Jaques on or about Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:35:02 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Yea and amen. No ammo is worse than crappy ammo. Unfortunately, if the balloon really goes up, you may be able to just "pick up" the good stuff.

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or about Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:34:07 -0800 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Question from the newbie in the back. What kind of impact would doing this in winter over summer have? I mean, a rifle straight out of the travel case in the back of a pickup is going to be a bit cooler than one that rode inside the cab with you. And in winter it can get a bit chilly in back - is that going to make much of a difference? (Of course, the way I shoot - it probably wouldn't.)

exeunt (furiously scribbling notes.)

pyotr

pyotr filipivich

After working up your load, clean the piece and put it away the same way you plan to use it. Next day, take it out cold and fire one shot at an appropriate target. Adjust sights to (theoretically )put the bullet in the aiming point. Take as many days as youneed until you are comfortable with a first shot from a cold barrel. THAT'S the money shot!

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Depends on how many National Guard/Military you have in the area.

Got a friend in a military organization? Ask him about a couple cans of

7.62x51 ammo and see if it can fall off a truck.

Unlinking is a tedious job..but it goes quick.

250 rds per can when linked. IRRC.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

It cant hurt to have sufficent quantities of ammo on hand. And if nothing happens..you can use it for years, pass it on to the grand kids etc etc.

Ive got "somewhere over" xx firearms here at the homestead..and I keep

40 rounds for each of the unusual, seldom fired etc etc dust collectors. But the ones I shoot a lot, or the ones I hope Ill never have to shoot a lot..but suspect I may have to..have copious amounts of ammo on hand, all neatly labled for each weapon its been loaded for. And of course, I keep factory stocks..usually military, on hand for battle rifles and combat handguns.

Shrug..the factory stuff lasts forever if stored properly and worst comes to worst..it can be sold for as much or more than you paid for it.

I dont sell any of mine..but my widow could if worst comes to worst. And the handloads are generally in MTM 100 round boxes or MTM 50s, with an internal label of loading data, powder lot and so forth, along with the serial number of the weapon it was loaded for. So if Im gone...she can sell the weapon and the ammo for it, complete with data so the next user wont have to reinvent the wheel.

One of the side benefits..is that I can arm my friends and neighbors with a firearm and tuned ammo loaded for it in less than 3 minutes. Simply a matter of grabbing something off the racks, opening the ammo vaults, checking caliber and then serial number and grabbing the approriately marked boxes and heading out.

Put out a call to your friends, whoever...for once fired cartridge cases. Military, commercial, whatever. Thats raw materials and the one thing that lasts and lasts if you take care of it properly.

Unknown firings...are only slightly more risky..you will have a few crack on the neck..simply toss em into a scrap bucket for recycling or even turning into other smaller cartridges. 3006 makes good .308s..etc Ive got one box of 50 .45 ACPs..that started off as 100, WW 44 (3006) cases and were shot up, changed to 308s, shot up, turned into something else, and ultimately turned into .45s. Simply to see if it could be done and for how long I could keep em going. I first reloaded them..in 1976. Im getting some use out of them....

Btw...ALWAYS check foreign cases with a flashlight...if you dont see a flash hole in the bottom of the case...toss it into a seperate bucket. Berdan primed cases can be reloaded..but frankly..its a pain in the ass, best reserved for sometime in the far far future. Berdan cases dont have the flash hole in the middle of the bottom of the case (web) but multiple ones around the center. Usually 2, sometimes 3. And they take a different primer that is NOT common in the US. So save em if you want..even the steel ones..but seperate them. This is one of the reasons few reload Russian/German/Chinese 7.62x39 rounds for the SKS and AK.

Shrug..I need to be going..off to LA..got a call a few minutes ago..need to make a service call in Huntington Beach in the morning.

Later

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Cases fired in the winter will exhibit less pressure..(shoot slower) than ones fired in mid summer in the Mojave.

Most of the time, for most people..the difference isnt very much. But if you are handloading a tight rifle at the top end of the velociety/pressure ranges...it can be an issue.

Here where I live..its not unusual for it to be 120F in mid summer..so a hot loaded cartridge should be loaded down below Maximum ..else it could spike over, resulting in hard extraction, torn rims, and wildly erratic bullet paths. Ive had weapons sitting on the bench in the sun, melt the lenses out of a pair of safety glasses laid on top of them..and the weapon hadnt been fired yet.

Some powders are worse than others, and I usually use the most mellow, even tempered powders available because of this.

With damned few exceptions..I never load my cartridges to the Warm or Hot end of the scale. There really isnt any need to milk an extra 50-150 fps out of a cartridge. You simply hold over another inch..shrug. And you will likely find your accuracy loads to be mid range in velocity..usually..most of the time. Nearly always.

As for powders..Accurate Arms is probably one of the best deals on the market. They both make their own, and purchase powders in bulk..many many thousands of pounds and will run 25% or more below the Big Name brands. This is significant when reloading rifle cases that may use a fair amount of powder. You get more loads for the same money. And its good powder. But you will have to do a little reseach before ordering a keg of it. Finding a single powder that does most of your rifle cartridges is a very good thing and saves on supply issues. Same with pistol powder (and its alternate use for shotguns).

Ive got..hummmm..probably xx types of powder in the magazine..but my main powders only number about 4 that I use most of the time. Of course I try other stuff..I do ballistics research as a hobby..but..shrug..when it gets down to it...one really only needs no more than2-4 differnt powders and if you are loading handguns..only one powder and for most .30 cals..only one powder.

so buying a couple 8lb kegs is very doable and will do most of your reloading just fine. And my pistol powders work quite well in rifles, when Im shooting cast bullets. Which should NOT be frowned on ...hittin a target with a bullet that is all "soft point" has its uses. Indeed.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

One thing I should mention...shrug...what I do...is seldom do I clean the bore on rifles I use a lot..or may need in a hurry.

While I may lube the action and surface...I seldom clean the bore. This makes my first round impact in the same place I set the sights for, even a year ago or more.

Now if its one of the other non action arms...they get cleaned, lubed and stored, but with the action arms...I dont have the time or ability to fire a couple cleaning shots and then take a shot that is supposed to go where its aimed.

Some arms may shoot dead nuts with a clean bore..but most of them will shoot significantly differently the first couple shots until the bore gets fouled properly. This isnt quite so important out to 200-300 yrds..but farther out...it does indeed make a difference. And since the rifles I generally do this with are ahummm...sharpshooters...and as I live in the desert..with the horizon in 1 direction..32 miles..the other

120 miles away....shrug

And yes..the first shot is often the money shot. Very good suggestion.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Wow! You're 8,000 feet tall?

Reply to
Jeff R.

There's a good article in the latest "American Rifleman" about NOT cleaning bores. Have you ever seen or used lapping bullets?

Reply to
Buerste