Very OT: a good range day

High today was in the 60's, but it was still in the mid-50's midmorning. The northern sky was so blue it was purple. When I'd gotten up to pee earlier, there was a blazing orange sunrise over Priest's Point while knee-deep fog cloaked the lake and crept ashore. Later, the lake looked like crinkled blue foil giftwrap. Tawk about post cold front! Fuggedabout fishin', fish have lockjaw after a front like that. The previous three days had been windy. I've never seen such sustained wind. 35 mph gusting to Gustav, all day and all night for

3 days. Windows not closed tightly whistled. Lumpy lake. Today it was calm. RANGE DAY! This time I brought .243 and .223 rifles, left the .22-250 home pending arrival of new scope rings. Also brought a Ruger .22 pistol, a .357 and a 9mm. We stopped at Willie's Supermarket in Morris, picked up some deli sandwiches for a tailgate picnic lunch at the range. (Mary had brought drinks) Very pleasant! The range is small (4 firing points) in a pastoral setting in the Glacial Ridge country of MN. Not yer typical military range, not at all. A very pleasant venue for a picnic. I'd swapped scopes on the .243 so first order of bidness was to get the scope zeroed at 100. That didn't take long, maybe half a dozen rounds. I'd brought a selection of ammo, various recipes, all carefully arranged in boxes with little maps showing what was what. I had my chronograph (bullet speed meter), spiral-bound notebook and pencil like a good little scientist. Ahhh, but having fun is job 1... I'd also brought a selection of plastic bottles filled with water, and I'd picked up a bottle of red food dye at the supermarket. Two of the bottles were 1 qt lemonade bottles, sorta square in shape and made of markedly more substantial material than the water bottles. I dyed the water in the lemonade targets and a few 0.5 liter waterbottle targets. Set the first lot up at 100 yd. Gave Mar the bottle-watchin' binocs. She'd been reading her book with earmuffs on whilst I was zeroing the .243. Hitting a water bottle with a .22-250 is a pretty good show. A lemonade jug filled with red water and hit with a 70-grain .243 ballistic-tip bullet cookin' along quickly (mach 3+) is an even better show. Think pink mist. The shredded carcass flew up 10 feet and laterally a good 30 feet. Mary said, "OH! I blinked. The report startled me, do another one." But of course, my dear ... POW. "OHHHH! COOOL!!!" While the rifle barrel cooled a bit we shot the handguns at the little spinning gopher gizmo. Dang, that thing is fun! Burned a fair bunch of ammo, we did. Mary then retired to the shade to continue reading (with muffs) while I fired the .223 a bit. I've really fired very few rounds thru that little rifle, and it is a sweetie. It definitely blows up a lemonade target at 100 yd though not nearly the show the .243 presented. Can't tell much different with the 0.5 liter water bottles; they blow up very nicely with the .223. A .223 has so little recoil that I get to see the show too. I didn't fire any noteworthy groups today -- but I never missed a bottle shot. My entry holes in the lemonade targets were about dead center, he said modestly. The drama comes from what happens after that: the sides become flaps and the exit hole is what used to be the back as the quart of red water becomes a pink cloud. Can't find any holes in what's left of the 0.5 liter water bottles but there was certainly no doubt that they were well and truely hit.

I seem to do quite noticably better with reactive targets than with paper, both with handgun and rifle. Go figure. I didn't get many notes or chronograph readings. My research was spotty, my technique questionable and my scientific discipline deplorable. However, my focus on primary mission was bullseye: HAVING FUN IS JOB 1. Another guy showed up about 16:00. Old guy, maybe my age. Ex-marine as it turns out, retired letter carrier from Morris. He said they were gonna have M-1 training today about 18:00, I'd be welcome to join. I was expert with M-1 and M-14 in the Army, but that was a while ago and I would love to shoot one again. But I declined. I've no qualms about shooting what I own but I think I'll want a full six months of breastbone (sternum) mending before I fire something like that. The M-1 is a .30-06, no boomer by any means but a bit more bang than anything starting with a 2. Rifles beginning with 2 quite suffice for me. Still, it would be a fun trip down memory lane. I'll revisit next year.

I did not know until today that the Marines did not get M-14's. No big deal, the essential difference was magazine-fed vs clip-fed. The M-16 and other 5.56mm (.223) variants were a significant departure to a caliber that suffices for coyotes and offers low recoil compatible with spraygun automatic fire with minimal training, but.... He'd been watching me shoot bottles. He said there will be a varmint competition next weekend, 100 to 400 yards, perhaps I'd like to enter? I don't care to shoot competitively as sport and gently said so. He seemed to grok that OK. He then noted that I'd missed a bottle. I did? He said yeah as in forgot to shoot, there's one left downrange. Oh! So there was! I asked if he had hearing protection on (he did), asked if he'd mind if I opened fire (he wouldn't), so I exploded it with my first shot as I had all of the others. 0.5 liter bottles are smaller than most varmints. He grinnned. I opened the action, declared the range cold, Mary and I went downrange to collect our trash and that of probably several others while we were at it. The guy seemed to like that. Dinosaurs dancing in Minnesota on a nice day.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don Foreman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The Corps _did_ get M-14s but only for a few years in the early '60s.

They were replace by Armalites during 'Nam since most of the combat was Spray and Pray rather than aimed fire.

Reply to
Eregon

You just described why life is good in MN.

Another couple dozen cool days and the lake will turn. Brings the walley-gators in close to shore at night. best fishin' of the year. I'm always too busy working to enjoy it. Catch a few for me.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Nice writing style Don, makes a interesting read!

Reply to
Den

?x?}Y]wÛ6}??_jçTR;N»N·Y§io;§Î6§ ??I?%H3?ß{ ,ªy?%?3wîÜÎf·N}(û¹Z=Sw¦Q§«Õwjõôbuzñì;µX¯Vs5?TÎà??z[UÊy~ÒU=W¯½?½?S_U?|¿üçæöîýå»ÂW¹q?îÌ??{Á%²ûj?¿¾+/f³ïíüý­-JÕù\o??²NaCõ|uæjÝwÊvò{èh@ºZÛ|q?;¾ÿÆþ0®?ßjß:?Âá ¥éN?û¸tðj]õf\±é?2¸ùci?º>Î÷W+|×á?iª1FÝV?sîßY@c9ý*ßjWz×Ú`?0íþbï[kBwÔ{o6/me?3f?xã ?U^?\NWá?Ò.WYk?NéPµËý_£)ñæÊ{>\Y|ÎZëî+|?³n¼­Ta7ÝÐ?ÑýÒkßwûë5>t*CÈ?õ®;RJ½é?Âär§ÚØPZwtÚÒ>Ô?ª?R¸ÀP"ÜW¼ça®4GX2üì?T8ÃOb{&?ð$XÏ°ëÍÀ`ò B?»~éëf+Ac0õv +C?áò¯?7W?©?¿%¦[&_>`mlTu­?ïiâòô?X½

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have never shot an M1 before, but will as soon as I get mine from the CMP. Sounds like fun!

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

I do indeed. Morning, afternoon, any time.

She knows. I think she'd regard converting tulip-eating rabbits to pink mist as a swell idea. I might even get a turn.

guess it's a prairie dog rather than a gopher, but it's gopher-sized. The thing is incredibly tough. Mine has been hit with dozens of .22LR and a few .45ACP, .357 and 9mm, only sign of wear is some dents.

Born screwoff is more like it. Rather plink than think sort of thing.

Reply to
Don Foreman

They are fun. They're not featherweights and they are gas-operated semiautos so their recoil is actually rather mild -- considerably less than a bolt action rifle of same caliber.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Maybe I missed it, but what kind/flavor is your .223 rifle?

I had a Ruger Mini-14, not consistently accurate enough for may tastes and I've toyed with getting something that was. I have a soft spot for Ruger, have thought about getting a No

  1. That is if I come across one with a really, really good price :)
Reply to
Leon Fisk

When I enlisted in 1966, they had M-14s in boot camp (Parris Island) and M-1s for AIT/ITR (Camp Lejeune). In Viet Nam, they were in the process of switching from M-14s to the Mattel rifles.

On the range, I liked the M-14. Offhand, you could rest the magazine on the heel of your hand and get a solid bone-to-bone hold. The other positions were pretty much the same for both rifles. When you were trying to stay really low in the dirt, though, most preferred the M-1 as you could get a few inches lower with it. Full auto was probably a mistake for the M-14 as the muzzle would climb with every shot unless you stood on the sling. That said, I'd love to have one. Got an M-1 through the DCM/CMP some years ago - wouldn't it be nice if they someday made the M-14s available. Maybe a VP with an NRA membership.... No, probably not.

224 on qualification day with the M-14. Started out shaky on the offhand, but think I was 10/10 at 500 yards. Still have my range book, but don't need it to remember that day 42 years ago. Doesn't seem like it was yesterday, but certainly a lot less than 15,000 yesterdays.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

It's a CZ 527 American. Surprisingly accurate for a small, lightweight, walkin-around rifle. It groups well under 1" at

100 yd. One reviewer got under 1/2" groups with factory ammo.

I got mine new, walnut stock, from a local dealer for about $450.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I wasn't familiar with them, but from what I found it looks nice. I especially like the set trigger with it. How well the trigger works/feels can really make/break ones liking a particular firearm or not. Your opinion means a lot to be too. Something to ponder...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I agree, the trigger is very important. I like the CZ's set trigger a lot right out of the box. For what it's worth, Fitch has two CZ

527's, one in .223 and one in .22 Hornet. They're both tackdrivers.

He had a chance to try a friend's .22 Hornet CZ last summer, liked it so well he got himself one that week. A bit later (about November) I found a heckuvadeal on my .223 and grabbed it. I expressed complete satisfaction with it so he also picked up a .223 not long after that. Someone did a review of this rifle in .223 on Chuck Hawk's website. Jeff somebody I think. It's on the membership side but I have a copy of it at home. I could email it to you if you like. His conclusion was that he couldn't imagine anyone not likeing that little rifle.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Funny you should mention the Hornet. I've always wanted one, no particular reason. It doesn't get good press though in the accuracy department. With my crappy eyesight though it probably doesn't much matter anymore. I already have reloading supplies for the .223 also. Sigh... A more discrete "pop" would be nice though. Lots of houses have been built around me in the past ~30 years. I used to sit at a picnic table maybe 30 feet from the front door to target shoot. There is a house downrange now, don't target shoot with powder rounds anymore. Funny thing is that the people at the house downrange shoots more in a month that I ever did in a year or two.

Thanks for the review offer and follow up. I already know enough about it that it isn't necessary. I'll keep my eyes open, maybe one will turn up and I won't be able to resist :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk