What's up with 22 caliber ammo?

It appears that 22 caliber ammo no longer seems to exist. There is not even enough for someone to grab and horde as it appears...

If it was still being manufactured as before, each store should still be able to get the same amount in as they used to...

What explains this?

Reply to
Cross-Slide

appears...

be able to get the same amount in as they used to...

PrecisionmachinisT

to get the same amount in as they used to...

As a friend said to me:

There are probably a lot more .22 pistols and rifles out there than all other calibers combined..more demand since there are more of them... made sense to me.

The anti-zombie hordes are running out to buy, buy, buy and there are a gadzillion of them.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

to get the same amount in as they used to...

I spoke with Dick's Sporting Goods HQ; they don't know why they aren't getting enough supply. They would not let me talk to their corporate buyers, who certainly know.

So I talked to one of the plant managers at Remington's ammo plant in Arkansas. She says that they've been running three shifts for six weeks, pumping out more .22 rimfire than ever before, and they've put on extra people and expanded machine capacity. Her guess is that there's rationing going on at the wholesale distribution level, trying to fairly distribute their stock to an expanding demand from retailers, but she hasn't tracked that down herself. She knows they have gotten desperate calls from some Wal-Mart outlets.

She (Leanne) says to hang tight, they expect the shortage to ease up soon. The holdup sure isn't from their end.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

My question. From what I read on the net, the makers are going full speed, turning out all they can. I wonder if the American Panic is buying faster than they can manufacture? I've heard that the stores aren't getting any restock of 22, so maybe the companies are making the more expensive shells instead?

Horde: N. Large group of animals or people. Hoard: N. or V. Storing or keeping items for the future. Usually implies storing more than what is needed.

.

If it was still being manufactured as before, each store should still be able to get the same amount in as they used to...

What explains this?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just wondering how much .22 ammo one really needs. I have several bricks of it, they take small amount of room, and should last my lifetime.

Ignoramus24658

Long enough for me, if the world falls apart, there will still be things to buy and resell. There will not be enough "wildlife" for everyone to hunt for 6 years. Something will have to change.

I have about 5 bricks of it, if I recall correctly, you are right on the spot.

Ignoramus24658

How's your stomach for long pork, Ig? Some yummy zombie stew, anyone?

I have most of one left. But I'm near a river and several creeks, so I'd be snaring and fishing.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you up for the gig?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I haven't gigged frogs since I left Arkansas in '66. We never ate them because the swamp on the base had an overflow pipe and the sewage frequently came out of it. We'd be walking around (age 12ish) and seeing lots of old condoms, turds, and such. We knew better.

My favorite was a green three-pronger. I whittled a broomstick to fit and tied a piece of nylon cord to it for retrieval. It worked quite well. We had to watch out for water moccasins there, too.

The things we had the most fun on the AFB were:

1) Following the DDT truck during fogging of all the streets around the base lake. 2) Giggin' frogs. 3) Sailing my friend's styrofoam sailboat. 4) Watching the Apes (air police) shoot the 10ga shotguns at the nests of water moccasins and other snakes. Oh, and I almost forgot: 5) Swinging from the rubber trees. There were thin poplars or such beneath the earthen dam which got plenty of water. We'd climb up 25-30' and hang out over the branches while grasping the thin top of the tree trunk. It would swing us down and we'd jump and go up and over, 180-degrees to the other side. Thank CROM one never broke. We'd have crushed both legs and probably our pelvic bone and some vertebra.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you sure you never landed on your head? At least once? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Let's see I go to the range at least once a month. Plus with eliminating the musk rats, rats, the odd crow or 30. I can easily go through 3-4 bricks, a couple boxes each of .380, 223, 308 and a few rounds of .50 Plus 2-3 boxes of shot shells (unless it's during club skeet nights, then I will run through extra)

Plus -

Deer/Bear season - will take slugs, 30-30, and 308 ammo. (+ all the trappings for the black powder guns)

Turkey season- 10 gauge steel shot

Small game - .22, .410, .223, more shot shells in 20 and 12.

Reply to
Steve W.

If there were some kind of disaster, what makes you think there would be any "sustenance" to shoot?

We have lots of "sustenance" running around now because very few people depend on shooting it. Even here in NJ, where we have a deer herd of roughly 160,000 and roughly 3,000 black bears,, our total deer population in 1900 was fewer than 100 animals and the bear population was 0.

If you have a disaster and no place to buy food, you won't find a muskrat to shoot within six months.

That whole survivalist shtick is a fantasy.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The survivalist mentality seems to appeal most strongly to those who are struggling to keep their heads above water in normal times. Yet for some strange reason they imagine doing better than average if only they were forced into a more difficult lifestyle. Maybe they could avoid all the waiting and blustering by cutting off a few toes and moving into a dugout in the woods. :)

Reply to
whoyakidding's ghost

I never said that. I took nose dives out of my highchair as a kid, and have stitches in both eyebrows to prove it. Then there was the time I was chasing a local girl and she ducked under the tubafore porch railing and I didn't quite see it. It hit me square in the forehead and my body straightened out on the lawn with my skull connecting with the concrete after the rail had stopped my forward progress. THAT hurt. But 'tis the price we pay to chase wimmens.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A realistic version of "Survivor," with bullet wounds, people killing each other over a road-killed rat, deaths by exposure and gangreen?

I've only watched one reality show in my life, but I'd watch one that was that real. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

That would be "Survivor" creator and SAS veteran Mark Burnett's autobiography.

's+man+won+IRA+respect.-a0180701772

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

For the movie crowd, try "The Book of Eli" for a good idea of what it might be like...

Reply to
Richard

And all your customers will have PMS and a gun.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Are you sure she didn't swing that tubafore at you, and you just think you ran into one? Quality women are never cheap. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell