Gun sales on track to set a record

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/06/news/guns-fbi-background-checks/ Guns are selling at unprecedented levels this summer, which means 2016 is
well on its way to breaking the all-time record for background checks. Background checks conducted by the FBI totaled 1,853,815 in August 2016, a 6% increase from August 2015.
That's the most checks ever in the month of August since the FBI started conducting background checks in 1998. In fact, every monthly tally this year has hit an all-time high, meaning that 2016 is on track to be the record year for background checks and, by proxy, gun sales.
Background checks don't correlate directly to gun sales, but do serve as an important indicator for them, since there are no industry sales figures.
But Smith & Wesson (SWHC) and Sturm Ruger (RGR), the two publicly-traded gun companies, recently reported a double-digit jump in sales. Smith & Wesson said quarterly sales soared 40%, while Ruger said sales jumped 19%.
Mass shootings in the last several years have helped drive gun sales. Gun buyers worry that every mass shooting will prompt more restrictive gun control laws, and that's been the case in states like Connecticut, Colorado and Virginia.
The political rhetoric of the 2016 presidential campaign has taken center stage in the gun industry. Ruger CEO Michael Fifer said recently that Hillary Clinton was "actively campaigning against the lawful commerce in arms."
Clinton, if elected president, plans to expand background checks, restrict "military-style assault weapons," and hold gun dealers and manufacturers accountable for gun violence. She wants to repeal a law protecting the gun industry from lawsuits related to the misuse of guns.
Every time a gun is purchased from a federally-licensed gun dealer, the dealer submits the buyer's personal information to the FBI, which runs it through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS. If the check reveals that the buyer is a felon, or has other criminal history red flags like domestic violence or drug use, then he or she is denied the gun.
But most buyers pass the background check.
"raykeller"
wrote in message

You must be very proud

We are, roofucker. Freedom is a wonderful thing.
On Wed, 7 Sep 2016 11:38:52 -0000 (UTC), "#NeverHRC"

Not to mention the civic virtue of stimulating the economy by buying all those guns you probably can't afford! Call it the "Paranoid Gun Nutz' Fiscal Stimulus."
Buy mo' ammo. Commodity prices are suffering, and you can give some price support to copper and lead.
--
Ed Huntress

Actually Ed, I can afford any gun I want. i just don;t have time to shoot all the ones I have,
--
"...And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not
warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of

Well, hell, buy more then! When the pile is so big that it falls over, you'll find time to go shoot just to clean up your floor.
Buy mo' ammo, too -- the expensive stuff is best.
--
Ed Huntress

On 9/12/2016 1:39 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

So that's how to find the best ammo, just look for the most expensive stuff? Before I call bullshit, and prove it, would you like to modify your statement?
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 16:57:25 -0600, Just Wondering

When you buy ammo for survivalism, or for any kind of defense, the best ammo is the ammo that pumps the most money into the economy.
Anything that makes fools spend their money is good.
--
Ed Huntress

On 9/12/2016 5:12 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

> the best ammo is the ammo that pumps the most money into the > economy.

Whether the ammo he buys is 10 cents a round or 10 dollars a round, if someone has $100 to spend on ammo, that's what he'll spend. The exception would be when his favorite ammo is on sale (i.e. is NOT the most expensive ammo), then he might scrape up some more ammo money to take advantage of the bargains. But none of that is relevant to which ammo is "best".
> Anything that makes fools spend their money is good. > So when fools spend their money on cigarettes, beer, bling, iphones and fancy sneakers, then get you and me to support them through tax-financed welfare handouts, or worse through stealing and dealing drugs, that's good?
On Mon, 12 Sep 2016 17:54:42 -0600, Just Wondering

expensive

modify

the

The best ammo is the ammo that gets the job done. If the job is self defense, then its hard to beat Federal HST in +P if your pistol can handle it. Great stopping power, deep penetration, and excellent expansion make a deep and wide wound channel. You can find more expensive ammo, but best isn't measured by price. Much less expensive ammo will put supper on the table.
On 9/12/2016 7:17 PM, Red Prepper wrote:

\
Hard to beat a 10 or 12 gauge with Deer slugs for knock down at short range without killing all you neighbors.
On 9/12/2016 8:59 PM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

Perhaps, if you're looking for raw power. But that's not the optimal criterion for defensive ammo. For one thing, how many people are willing to carry a shotgun wherever they go? How do you go about carrying that gun concealed? What about the risk of overpenetration? Those and other concerns limit the defensive use of shotguns to home intruder situations. Outside the home a handgun makes more sense. For home defense with a shotgun, have you looked at this? http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-56-federal-flight-control-1-buckshot/
On 9/13/2016 4:27 AM, Just Wondering wrote:

Buck shot is too penetrating..Each one of those shots is .22 caliber. One of the finest Home defense weapons is a .410 pistol with old fashioned no 2 shot loads. And yes they are sold and apparently legal. For solid knock down power a heavy gauge shotgun deer slug at short range is the ticket. Out side the home the best weapon is still a rifle that handles .223 or similar. In close quarters the Trench shotgun is still the star. It fires trench rounds(MILITARY). That gun is short and to the point.;-p

On 9/13/2016 11:28 PM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

> This from you, a guy who advocates a 10 gauge deer slug?

> Actually, #1 buckshot is .30 caliber.

> I think you mean a .410 revolver. You get 5 or 6 shots, and a slow reload. That's not what most people would consider "One of the finest Home defense weapons". And in a defense situation the goal is to stop the bad guy from attacking. No. 2 bird shot doesn't have enough penetration to do that reliably.

> That Federal Flitecontrol gives similar short range performance.
On 9/14/2016 3:01 AM, Just Wondering wrote:

Deer slugs are not available everywhere due to lack of demand

Not mine and I do fire military rounds..Lots of them.

And y\that is not a pistol??
You get 5 or 6 shots, and a slow

In a standard home invasion...a couple of rounds is usually all that is needed. That Teenage girl down south used a 20 Ga, fired 2 shots and killed one and the second one left a blood trail.
Of course you could use the 2 Rottweiler trick instead.
That's not what most people would consider "One of the finest

With a stage gun and a full choke...#2 is damned hard to beat in confined areas where you don't intend killing everyone in the neighbor hood. Even Swat Cops use special 5.56 rounds to avoid killing the neighbors. You want to kill every thing around you..use Military Trench rounds. But you may lose a few friends in a barrage like that.
During duck and Goose season I shoot about 12 to 20 boxes. And no I am not poaching, but am assisting in filling game quota's for our paying visitors on state land. There are also buffalo permits available....

I can still remember cutting splits in my .45 Ammo... In country they will hang your ass for using such.

OK.
On 9/14/2016 8:21 PM, PaxPerPoten wrote:

> We're discussing ammo for defense. You write that #1 buck shot is too penetrating, while at the same time advocating deer slugs which are MORE penetrating. The simple fact is, ammo that is effective for defense HAS to penetrate. If you had read the article I cited, it references ballistic tests that find shot smaller than #1 buck does not penetrate enough to reliably use for defensive ammo.

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_%28pellet%29 http://www.gun-shots.net/shot-sizes.shtml http://www.shotgunworld.com/ammo_s082000.html http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm #1 buck 7.62 mm; 0.300" It's not just that all the sources agree. They agree because BY DEFINITION, lead shot that is .300" in diameter is #1 buckshot.

"Revolver" refers to a handgun that chambers ammo in a rotating cylinder. "Pistol" refers to a handgun with a chamber integral to the barrel. http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/g/glossary-definition-of-pistol.htm
A pistol is a handgun - but not all handguns are pistols.
The defining factor that makes a handgun a pistol is a chamber that is integral with the barrel. Semi-automatic handguns have a barrel with the chamber built in, which means they are pistols. Revolvers, on the other hand, are not pistols, because a revolver contains a cylinder that's separate from the barrel and contains multiple chambers.
When it comes to firearms terminology, any gun that is designed to be fired using one or both hands, without shouldering the gun, is a handgun. Legal definitions of the term may vary in certain locales.
The term "pistol" is often erroneously used to describe any handgun, but its definition should preclude its being used to describe revolvers and any type of handgun which does not have a chamber made integral with the barrel.

I didn't know there was a definition for a "standard home invasion", and "usually" means that in a particular situation "a couple of rounds" may not be enough. If you should happen to need nine rounds and you only have five, you're screwed. And in a firefight, even trained police might hit their target only one time in ten.

> Forget body armor, #2 bird shot might not even penetrate a heavy denim overcoat, much less penetrate far enough into your attacker to stop him.

> SWAT teams use all kinds of different ammo for different situations. But what's your point? First you say use a 10 gauge shotgun and deer slugs. Then you say use #2 bird shot in a .410 revolver. And you denegrate #1 buckshot which many people agree is the best shot for defensive use. Now are you recommending an AR-15 with "special" rounds? It looks like you can't make up your mind.

The goal in defense is not to kill anyone. The goal is to stop the attack, as swiftly and definitely as possible.

Congratulations. The best shot shells for duck and goose hunting are not the best shells for defense.
On Thu, 15 Sep Just Wondering wrote:

How about rock salt? Old timers used to use it because it was painful but less deadly. Or maybe because it was cheaper, not sure which. ;)
Swill
--
#imwithher #strongertogether
Just because I found this fascinating reading . . .
On 9/18/2016 10:56 AM, Governor Swill wrote:

I refute that and would gladly fire a 12 gauge with #2 at 70 yards to see if if it penetrates you. At 20 yards it will leave an entrance about 12 to 16" across. Keep in mind that is Goose shot and it is harder to penetrate a goose then a human. Geese will seldom give you a close up shot also. The .410 Shotgun used to be considered a goose gun for its #2 shot and tight choke pattern. It was the only thing that could read high flying geese until the 12 gauge magnum came out. Next of course was the 10 gauge.. All with #2 shot. Use 6# or 7# Pheasant shot and all you do is tickle them. Most gun shops don't even handle Double Ought Buckshot. Or for that matter 1# shot. Military and Law enforcement don't use 1# shot either. Do keep in mind the muzzle choke has a lot to do with hitting power.

Very deadly..It tends to draw moisture and clump. In clump form it is like firing a slug.

HAHAHAhahoho...What a freaking four-flushing moron!
So, a .410 was the only thing that could reach high-flying geese, eh? I hope some goose hunter, or any shotgun shooter, pops in here and lets you know what a phony moron you are.

(Aack!) And what choke would you use for 00 buskshot for maximum "hitting power"? This is a test.

You have experience with rock salt, no doubt. d8-). And what kind of powder wad do you use under your rock salt?
--
Ed Huntress

On 9/21/2016 1:42 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

You are such an expert..Do tell us all what the primary hunting purpose of a .410 was. Other then the fact it held a tight pattern and had the range to take down geese. It is obvious that you have never been a real hunter.

All stage Shotguns had a Modified on both Barrels. Marine Trench guns had a reinforce barrel with open or no choke for continuous firing. When and if you ever sign up for an NRA course you may again find this same information. It is such a shame that everything posted has to be explained to you. By the way the original Shotguns used for this had 14 inch barrels from the factory..Legal civilian these day is 19 inch. I take that your so-called expertise was earned while draft dodging.

Enough education for you...It will take months for you to assimilate what I have already given you and about 3 seconds to forget it and regress back to full moron status.
Keep in mind that you are the one claiming vast expertise on firearms. I only claimed Service to my country and competing in Marine/Navy and Sheriffs pistol competition. You also claimed great plaudits from the NRA. I cannot find you name anywhere on NRA roles.. I found mine among the Life Memberships. I have never attended an NRA shoot and see no reason to now.