Slightly OT: An Afternoon at the Range

Metalworking Content: Appreciation for fine machinery

------------------ My wife & I just took my 16 year old step-daughter to the range to try some centerfire pistol shooting. She's been shooting .22 in the Greater Boston Pistol League for the second half of last year, using my Benelli with a red dot sight. She only shoots iron sights occasionally with air pistol.

I've been wanting to do this for a while, but it's been nearly impossible to buy lead target ammo these days. I finally dug around in a dusty corner & found some .38 wadcutter ammo and 50 rounds of .45 semi- wadcutter of unknown origin. I haven't shot centerfire in about 30 years, and had forgotten I had _any_ ammo left.

I have a S&W K38 revolver, a scarce .38 Special Colt "National Match"

1911-style semi-auto that only shoots wadcutters, and a .45 ACP Colt Gold Cup, all with iron sights. The weather was gorgeous, and we headed off to the Woburn club north of Boston. We had the place all to ourselves, much to our surprise.

We set up at 25 yards, and started off with the revolver, then the .38 semi-auto, and then the 45. My step-daughter is only about 5' 2", and

100 pounds, and her hands are too small to shoot the revolver double action. It was all slow fire, one-handed target stance, and we took our time, enjoying the day.

I am very pleased to report that she kept all of her shots on the 25 yard target center, and the majority of them well in the black. The quote of the day was "Holy cow, I can see the bushes through the holes!"

She enjoyed the .38's, but she REALLY likes the .45. I am now under orders to find some large pistol primers & start reloading for the .45 in earnest.

Needless to say, my wife & I are very proud of her.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Cool!

Don't know what it is about girls and handguns but girls seem to be naturals.

Two sources for lead bullets are Meister and Penn.

Don Foreman

Don Foreman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Bullets you can get, if you shop around. Powder too. The thing that is tough to get is primers. The places that have them are either asking top dollar, or limiting quantities. It's crazy to buy less than a couple thousand if you have to mail order them, because of the hazmat shipping fee. If been checking around locally to avoid shipping, but the folks that have them are limiting purchases to as few as 200. If I'm going to do a big run of ammo, I'd prefer to get 2 or 3 thousand from the same lot. Before I stopped shooting centerfire because of a bum elbow, I deprimed & sized over 3000 .45 & .38 cases, so they are ready to go.

Rumor has it that several places with back orders for Federal primers will be getting shipments later this month. Although there isn't a big difference between primers as far as accuracy & reliability go, Federal's are a lot cleaner than Winchester.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I just had my grandaughter out to some event sponsored by the city at the city range a few week ago. She had been after me to take her shooting. I couldn't find any place close to do it. But the event had a lot of organizations / clubs / businesses/ etc there and it came off very well. She did very well with all the guns. There was 22 rifles, both revolvers and semi auto

22 pistols, shotguns at clays along the ground (rabbits) and birds, and one of the "cowboy" type groups with CF (38 spl) she shot all of them and did very well. I thing she is going to want to take up trap or skeet from the enthusiasm exhibited. :-) She is 20 and a soph in college. Me Im just an old iron sight NRA type target shooter but the clays were sort of fun. ...lew...
Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 21:21:06 -0600, the infamous Lewis Hartswick scrawled the following:

Cool. Get her one of these and she'll have the best of both worlds:

I'd love to see a prospective perp watch one of those come up out of a purse.

Scat 'n urine EVERYWHERE!

-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I haven't shopped for primers lately but I was suprised to see a 550 pack of .22 LR at wallymart this week. First time I've seen any there since the election.

Midway, Natchez, and Grafs are still out of primers.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I guess I'm luckier than I realized . Maybe I should go back and buy another thousand of those Federal 210M's ...

Reply to
Snag