Reloading press upgrade?

I have a Lee 1000 that is OK but nowhere near as robust as some of the other offerings. I'm attracted to a Dillon 650. I'll need .45, .38/.357, 9mm, .223 and possibly .40 and whatever some friends want reloaded. I'm trying to work a deal with a cop for range brass. I swore I'd never reload again when 9mm was ten cents a round...guess what?

Any suggestions for presses?

Reply to
Buerste

RCBS Rockchucker .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Can't go wrong with a Dillon

Reply to
RB

I have a Lee Loadmaster. I never got all the automation to work well for me so I just feed in cases by hand, deprime size, inside expand, may use a M die for cast depending.

Then I use a Lee hand primer to prime.

I tend to use my Lyman 450 to put powder in cases so I can stack them up in a loading block and use a strong light to check for double charges and missing charges.

Then I feed the cases in, hand insert a bullet and let them fall out on the eject side.

IIRC, on the dillon you have to rotate the shell plate by hand, the Lee Loadmaster does that for you.

The loadmaster is a more solid version of the 1000

FWIW, I've loaded thousands of rounds of pistol using a hand tool. Outside of making sure you get powder charge correctly (no doubles, no shorts), most of the rest of it is fairly mindless. You can even watch tv.

My favorite press is a Lyman turret, has 6 holes for dies. I used it for years, set up with whatever I was shooting a lot of, it would handle two different rounds. Strong enough to make .357 Herrit cases w/o problems.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I cranked up my old Dillon 550 B while youngest son was here. We loaded a lot of .45 ACP for his new Kimber. He also found a 250 round box of factory ammo. We had 2 stoppages with the factory stuff, none with handloads in 500 rounds spread over a week. Acceptable for breaking in.

By the way, that Kimber ran pretty good. Good trigger and I could shoot 1-1/2 x 2-1/2 in. groups at 12-1/2 yds offhand. Not bad for these old eyes.

Matt's back in Yuma, picked up to Cpl when he got back, then scored Expert on the range last week.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I don't do a whole lot of reloading, but I have an RCBS Ammo Master Auto and I like it. I only run 9mm and 7mm RM on it and both run nicely once setup.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Buerste" wrote in news:dxy_l.161$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com:

I need to supply my wife, my step-daughter & myself with 223 match ammo now, and I'd like to gt back into center fire pistol shooting. I just bought a Dillon 650, and am in the process of designing a new reloading bench for it & my Rockchucker. I'll use the Rockchucker for load development & the Dillon for production.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I bought a Dillion 550B in 1993. I asked reloaders and machine gunners what they used and all that I asked said Dillon. Their products are guaranteed for life. I reload .223 and 9mm for my bullet hoses.

Scott

Reply to
jano

Seconded! Really built to last. Mine is from about the late

1960s IIRC.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I have read that current production is not as good as the old RockChuckers, but I don't recall why.

Reply to
RB

I hadn't heard that . Mine dates from the mid-70's , when I finally quit using Dad's and got my own .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Dillon 650 would be a good choice. The folks at Dillon and their "no bullshit" warranty are exemplary.

I, like others, like the RCBS Rockchucker for rifle ammo but Mr. Dillon spits out handgun ammo like popcorn.

Reply to
Don Foreman