why is there a morse taper in the back end of my lathe spindle

I have a Lansing Engine lathe and am triing to make a stop to put in the spindle. The ID of said spindle is very rough. but the last
approx 1.25" has a ground finish. I thought I'd make my stop fit there, but it turns out this is a #6 MT.
Why would one want a MT on the back end of the spindle?
I am going to attack the roughness in the spindle with a cylinder hone. (being careful not to hit the MT). It seems it's the extreme roughness in there that has always stopped me from putting 2" stock throught the spindle.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

I'd be inclined to think that the taper is provided for the use of attachments, perhaps a collet closing device. It would keep the mechanism central to the spindle.
Nothing wrong with honing the bore, but I think you'll find it's slow going. Worth the effort if it will increase the possibility to insert larger material, however. Luck with that idea!
Harold
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 18:43:52 GMT, "Harold and Susan Vordos"

As I do not have a 24" long boring bar to fit a 2" bore, I see no other choices. Coarse stones and run coolant thru to keep the stones clean and cutting.
I would think a nice straight bore would work for a collet closer. One of those is on my list too (lever style). Unless I dump this silly Italian lathe first. But then again I've had it almost 20 years.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Sounds like it'd be pretty simple to cobble together some kind of bar with a bit in it, and make an over-arm attachment out of angle iron for the rig so it would be plenty stiff.
Might be quicker overall than honing.

For installing Cat Heads and all manner of other goodies. Its a rather good idea actually.

Just the heads? How does that work? Do you just stick them in there and turn on the spindle till the stop squirming? :)

turn
I once tried to get the entire cat in. Doesn't work. :-)
Harold

Try cutting it into smaller pieces. :)

rather
and
I should have thought of that. As an added bonus, they tamp down better that way. Stops coolant from running out the backside.
Stops coolant from running out the backside.

Yea, I really hate it when coolant runs out my backside.
:)

I avoid tamping them in that hole. I'm alergic to cats. :-)

I'm not going to win am I?
What kind of reaction did you have? :)

Chuckle!
Depends on the cat, really. Some have little, if any, effect. Others give me a serious case of asthma, and everything in between can happen. I get itchy eyes, swollen eyes, runny nose, and when it's really bad, I have difficulty breathing. If they lick me, I often have a skin reaction as well.
In general, I don't like the little bastards, although I'm stupid enough to save one when it's in trouble. Susan found one in the yard three years ago, a kitten, almost frozen to death. Susan brought it in and tried to help it. I grabbed a hair dryer and warmed it up quickly-----and it worked. It was lapping up mild a short time later, and there was almost no sign of life when she brought it in. Then we were stuck with the damned cat. Luckily, a neighbor was "in the market" for one, so she took it from us. Didn't take long for it to wear out its welcome.
Harold
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote: ..........Susan brought it in and tried to help

Reminds me of the time my son had some gerbils. They kept him awake at night so he put them in his closet, upstairs, in Winter. The next day one was dead and the other nearly. We had an old sock filled with rice that you ere supposed to heat up in the microwave and wear around your neck for pain relief. I heated it up and curled it into a little "nest" and inserted the gerbil. Yep, in a few minutes he was lively again. I think now that we should have tried it on the "dead" one, too, instead of burying it so quickly. :) Randy

It
life
Luckily,
take
Those little critters are pretty tough, so it very well may have still had life left. Susan told me that she sort of nudged the kitten with her toe, thinking it was dead, and only then did it display the slightest sign of life. Sure makes you feel bad when you could do something to save them and you don't.
I chuckled at my typo-------the kitten was lapping up *milk*, but it, too, may have been *mild*.
Oh yeah, I know that alergic should really be allergic. Damned fingers.

After a fairly hard day of hammering hot iron, I sometimes like to chill with a good drink.
Had a cat that decided to take a nip out of a jigger of scotch. It burned her mouth a bit and she took off running and howling.
My wife asked me what I'd done to the cat. So I told her what had happened.
At which time she told me she'd be really angry at me if I ever tried to get pussy with liquor again!
Sometimes, after 38 years, that woman still surprises me -- and her a pillar of the church too! :)
--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.

too,
Hey, you might warn a guy that has a mouth full of licorice. Damn near choked on that one. That's way too funny! Does she realize what she said? Sometimes great things are spoken in innocence.
Harold.

Well, judging by the little smirk .... she knew!
I swear, she saves these little things up for a chance to ambush me with one. I was lucky I didn't spill the scotch. One should never abuse alcohol, doncha know?
--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.

great
Yes, indeed, I do know. :-)
I went a long time without it, having trouble with my stomach. Had to abandon coffee, too, but took the antibiotic and bismuth treatment for helicobacter pylori a couple years ago (for the 4th time) and finally have relief. I now take half a Prylosec daily, and am free of problems, so I can enjoy the occasional scotch and water. I make a great margarita, too, thanks to a recipe from one of my previous business contacts.
The treatment consisted of two different antibiotics this time, unlike previous treatments. Seems to be the key to success. I appear to produce too much stomach acid, so the bacteria would return in short order previously. The half Prylosec has worked wonders.
I like to couple my scotch with some jazz from the 50's-----Brubeck (with Desmond), MJQ, Oscar Peterson,Gerry Mulligan, Monk------
The spindle can be used for other things. Some have threads there for face plates. Others have morse taper for flex shafts, sanding disks and such...
My wood lathe allows both threads and Morse.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member http://lufkinced.com /
Dave Lyon wrote:

-