Changing oil in air compressors--how often

Awl--

This was mentioned in a thread on alt.home.repair. Never really occured to me. How often?? They mentioned 25 hours, which seems pretty quick. Got the Husky 26 gal, nice quiet cast iron compressor head.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Same question about oil filled vacuum pumps...

Ignoramus15345

The oil change is done on high vacuum pumps because the oil used in those pumps will get contaminated and make it impossible to pull the vacuum that the pump is rated for. I was my job many years ago to maintain a high vacuum system used in vacuum deposition (sputtering) in the devopment of intergrated circuit manufacturing.

John

Reply to
john

John, how would I know if oil is bad. I have this fun pump on cart

and would like to know if its oil is in good or bad shape. There is about 5 gallons of oil in it. I tried it last night and it seems to "suck". One thing that surprised me is how much oil mist it was making.

Ignoramus15345

i wouldnt be surprised if this used a different kind of oil than my vacuum pump intended for HVAC use. how many microns is this rated at?

Reply to
erik litchy

I could not get specs, it is called high vacuum pump, I would guess 1 micron at worst.

Ignoramus15345

Kinney? They've been out of business for 40 years, I think. You think that pump is big? We had 2 Kinney pumps on our cyclotron that were the ize of a VW Beetle. Not the Beetle's engine, mind you, the whole CAR!

As for pump oil, if it looks very clear, just a pale yellow color, that is good. If a deep brown, that is indicating contamination, and it needs to be changed. Probably any mechanical vacuum pump oil will do. And, if you can't even see through the sight glass (VERY typical) then the oil probably hasn't been changed in eons!

Sheesh! Even **I** don't have anything THAT old! I managed to get a fully functional Welch 1402 dual-stage pump out of a dumpster at work.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

No, they are still iin business, vacuum.tuthill.com.

That's quite amazing...

Cool. I have a small Welch for myself as well, 1 CFM, though not from a dumpster. Congratulations.

Ignoramus15345

VERY interesting! I haven't seen a Kinney pump less than 40 years old, and I see a lot of vacuum equipment. Edwards, Leybold, Varian, Alcatel, etc. There's even a Kinney rep in St. Louis, I see, but they must not have sold much.

The dumpster diving has gone WAY down hill! I used to drag stuff home all the time. I got a bunch of Welch pumps, one was really trashed and I scrapped it. The best one I kept, another I cleaned up a bit and sold it on eBay. I got a 6" diffusion pump, too, and also sold that.

But now environmental health and safety is breathing down everybody's neck, and they don't put ANYTHING in the dumpster anymore.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson