Nice dehumidifier...

Awl --

Nice so far.... a DeLonghi DD40P, 40 pints -- but pretty small pints. *with a pump feature*! From Costco, $197. delonghi.com, delonghiusa.com, a bit pricey, I thought.

HD had units, but all over $200 (my GE's cost $139), so I went to the Costco upstairs, and they had DeLonghi's, a company I'm not crazy about, reliability-wise.

But, holy smokes, ahm emptying this "40 pint" bucket like crazy!! So finally, I pretty much had no choice but to fiddle with the pump ditty, and gollygee, it really works! 13' head, they claim.

This thing takes out so much moisture, I can't even use it to "top off" the reservoirs on my machines (fadal, kalamazoo auto saw), cuz they'll FLOOD!!! Holy shit....

Maybe if I used the fadal for hours on end, in production, it would be ok, but in prototyping, this unit will just overflow the machine reservoirs. I can't even fill up buckets, cuz the shop would be nothing but 5 gal pails! So I hook the hose to the sink.

It's got an inneresting LED readout, that sposedly reads humidity, but seems to read high. Has antifrost+indication, timer, etc.

It's got a powerful blower, really puts out air, much much more than my other units, which I think just use a regular fan blade... The difference is like a factor of 10, no hyperbole!

It's not super quiet with this blower, but it's not overly noisy, either. It's two speed, but it's so powerful, they really could have greatly lowered the rpm, for a super-quiet but still effective mode. If quiet is a concern, mebbe a dropping resistor or high-watt potentiometer or small transformer would give you the best of all worlds.

I think part of the effectiveness of this unit is in fact due to this blower, as it blows upward with some force, certainly mixing/circulating the air MUCH better than my other units.

So, so far, I'm pretty impressed. It's also got a gravity drain, if you don't need to pump up a height, and don't want to empty buckets. Oh, also nice is that the pump hose is a "quick connect", like shop air.

I subsequently went out price shopping a little more, and Fridigaire units (larger cap, cheaper) did not have this pump feature, nor did any of HD's units.

It's also got a 2 year parts/labor warrantee, for Costco-ers.

God willing, it will prove more reliable than the GE's. It's certainly much better finished, better visual appeal.

Later, if I remember, I'll amp-probe the unit and compare it with my others. But, regardless, if you really need to pull out moisture with a footprint no larger than other "40 pinters", this unit fills the bill, and that pump really proves to be useful.

You can find it cheaper online, but the shipping more than wipes out the savings.

Reply to
Existential Angst

The online reviews of those were horrifying, I just bought a cheap dehumidifier from the big box and a condensate pump, that way whenever one part dies I'm not out another $200...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Where did you find the reviews? What was the gist? If this DeLonghi just lasts a while, I'll be a happy camper.

How much was your condensate pump, and where did you get it?

Reply to
Existential Angst

I started with Amazon and went from there... don't remember all the places I looked. Actually reviews of all dehumidifiers was pretty bleak, but the DeLonghi was worse than usual, and also more expensive...

I think it was $40 or $50, and I bought that from Amazon, as all my local stores wanted significantly more than that.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You could use an amp meter to measure and compare efficency if its on continous running but ive used a kill a watt meter since mine cycle. I bought and returned a HD Haier unit since its output was about half of other units I have, I didnt find an energy star rating on the Haier unit so maybe that explains its poor performance. Consumer Reports has an updated rating on the efficency of units and they do differ, if you raised the unit the pump would consume less power, no pumping it the most efficent way to run it.

Reply to
ransley

... ...

My practice with both dehumidifier and A/C is to place a separate fan in front of it.

Not much noise, because being external it's not blasting the air through the louvers.

And of course you can point it wherever you want.

(For the a/c, one fan in front of the a/c, one at the other end of the room pointing back, its air hitting the wall at an angle, thus getting nice circulation, every corner getting some of the air.)

The external fan -- makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE!

David

Reply to
David Combs