Quick Compressor Q's:

Awl--

Got a Husky HD special, 26 gal upright, cast iron head, oil, belt, single stage, sposedly good for a zillion hours, etc. Perty happy with it, mostly cuz it's quiet. SpeedAire and others seem to use this same cast iron head. Lately, the speed varies; starts fast, slows down, eventually speeds up, slows down. Set the motor for 220, juice is OK, etc.

What do you think is happening?? Compressor proly has 10-20 hours on it. I know compressors can be slow when cold, but I don't think this is a factor, as it will slow down/speed up during operation, in an already warm room.

Also, how do you generally measure oil level w/ the stick: Pressed all the way in, or sitting on the lip? The stick is a plastic press-fit jobby, not threaded, w/ a vent hole built in. Is this vent important?

Last, is overfilling w/ oil disastrous? Say, by about 1/2"?

TIA!

---------------------------- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in news:- snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Have you hooked up a meter and watched the voltage when it was doing this? There may be something else coming on in the building that is dropping the voltage. Is the belt tight? The oil is normally checked with the dipstick fully seated.

Reply to
Anthony

A Husky compressor sounds about right for someone with your taste in nicknames.

GWE

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Belt might be slipping. You hear the pump, not the motor. My compressor once did that. A shot of belt dressing cured it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®