Vents thru 18" stone walls

Awl--

Somewhat related to my dust collection follies, I want to put another vent in the garage proper, thru, you guessed it, an 18" foundation wall. I don't have too many other choices, except mebbe venting down the main sewer. Inyone done dat??

Drilling the hole--6" diam, I think--is doable, as I got rotary hammers, a bottle of vitamins, etc... I figgered I would hammer-drill a dozen or so 3/8-1/2 holes thru, and chip out the webs, to give a reasonably round 6" hole.

But I would like to support sed hole, once drilled, to thwart cracks that might emanate from it, if left unsupported. Possibilities: cast iron drain pipe, or a big-assed steam pipe or electrical coupling, or any sturdy large pipe. If I then cemented it in real good, it would relieve stress/re-support the wall, and give me a clean opening.

Is there standard stuff used for this? Ideally it would be compatible w/ std ductwork. Is all this a good idea/bad idea? Wife's not crazy about it.

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Hire someone with a "Core drill" to come in and do it. Pretty much a big hole saw. Pay the man and you're done.

Another reason to core it; you get a nice smooth surface with no corners for cracks to start in.

Definately then, hire it out. That way the mess is _their_ fault, not yours.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

all i can say is you like to suffer, PV. ive drilled 6" holes in 8" foundation walls by the above method, and its a hard way to go. drilling is the easy part, busting out the core is the trick. can't imagine it in a 18" foundation wall. better get up early and plan on spending the day on it.

if your foundation is that massive, i can't really see that a 6" hole is going to bother anything. if it was prone to crack at that point, putting a cast iron sleeve doesn't seem likely to prevent it. hopefully, this isn't below grade where you are going to create a leak?

by the way, is there rebar in this foundation? if so, don't hit it!

Reply to
marson

Second this idea. I had to have 2 of 100mm holes put thru a 150mm reinforced concrete water tank for overflow pipes. Got a man with a core drill in & the job was fast, accurate, relatively clean. Cost me just over $100 IIRC and worth every cent.

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

Can't get one sawed through ? - Hole saws leave clean sides and just a bit over sized (remember knuckles on some pipe) the pipe could be 'cemented' in with special long crystal gripping cement' - contact a brick mason for that or maybe the home center if quality.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

18" thick??!!!!?? What? I can't believe your foundation is TRULY 18" thick! The only structure I know of that thick is the cells at the company in Amarillo that assembles nuclear weapons for the DOE. Well, the Hoover dam is actually thicker than that, but I don't think your house or garage is holding back 600 feet of water!

Can you fill us in on this?

I've punched a similar hole, for exactly the same purpose, through our foundation/basement wall. We have the hardest concrete ever made, with tons of Jasper in it. My scheme is I made a giant punch tool out of a Macpherson strut rod to fit my air chisel. I sharpen the thing on a bench grinder, and just wail away at the wall. You get a huge explosion of dust, and the punch makes progress at about 1/2" a minute. You make a few penetrations nearby, then apply the punch at an angle, and a huge chunk comes out. It took 2 days to get through the wall and open the hole up to take the vent pipe. I have to resharpen the punch every 30 minutes or so. There's no way you can really do this through 18". Even a core drill machine will need a lot of setup work and extensions to properly drill such a hole. A well-equipped driller will have the right gear for this, but your average guy that drills a few holes for plumbing and electrical access may not have the extensions.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Stone basement walls are typically 18" (or even more) thick. It has to do with laying up the stone.

The early settlers in the Minnesota Iron range used to make basement walls with hand mixed slip formed concrete. To save on expensive cement, they filled the walls with local rock. As in mostly granite rocks 3" to

15" across. You could get a very solid rock wall with > Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ

Home Depots that have tool rental departments rent Hilti core drill rigs and core bits. Can't do much better than Hilti. Other places like United Rental and Nations Rent should also have core drill rigs.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

18" stone foundations are unremarkable. My barn has 24" thick stone walls.
Reply to
Dave Hinz

Apropos of RoyJ's comments, my house was also built by yer 1920's drug dealer, aka boot-legger/rum runner. You should see some of what he did, ito concrete reinforcement, barricades, and supposedly secret passageways, which I have yet to find, altho I think I've stumbled on a portal or two. Seems like he was tryna mimic Joe Kennedy et al, rahcheer in Yonkers, NY.

To better accommodate those stellar denizens, Yonkers had, as well, a whole underground plumbing/pumping system for the illegal caches/distilleries that abounded at the time--and they still exist, altho non-functioning, of course--I think. :) One of the larger buildings on the corner by me was sposedly a hangout/eatery of Dutch Schultz et al, w/ a hotel style restaurant in the basement (and spirits plumbing), long since closed. Fascinating history. W/ streets w/ names like Gene Kruppa Blvd. Now, how can you not love a place like this?

Well actually, it's perty easy not to love it.... Taxes, donchaknow... and rap "music"....

And the tradition, of sorts, continues today. In my li'l enclave, homes are selling for *well over* $1M, as various religious/ethnic groups vie for dominance and 5,000 sq ft old houses. Man, would they love to get ME out!! And Man, is it gonna cost'em, esp after I put my Voice of the Theatre Speaker Systems on the lawn, and start playing Salsa and gangsta rap, full blast....

But, here's the kicker: Just a few blocks away are all the drugs/guns/boodilicious booty a coked-up Wall Street Broker/Manhattan Criminal Lawyer (is "criminal lawyer" a double entendre??) could want--all very reasonably priced. Of which said juxtapositioned bargains will be made quite clear in my sales ad, for when I GTF out of this place.

Iny offers?? :)

Hey, but I got one helluva machine shop in sed bootlegger's reinforced bunker! Yeah, replete w/ 18" stone walls, and 9.5" poured concrete walls *inside*, and 1/4" steel plate doors/jambs. Goodgawd.....

And actually, at the Indian Point nuclear reactors over here, just an explosion-away up the Hudson from me, I believe those walls are *many many* feet thick, according to a machinist I knew who did work up there. There are a few types of structures w/ super-thick walls. Indian Point is one of the last bastions of cheap real estate around here, and even that's getting stoopit, as apparently glowing in the dark is becoming somewhat chic these days--an extension of the current tattoo idiocy, I would imagine. If I see one more tattoo at the apex of a butt-crack..... And who needs a thyroid gland, anyway?

1/2 holes >> Awl--
Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Before my parents were married, my mother had purchased the central Ontario house where my father was born (had belonged to his maternal grandparents) as a vacation residence for her city family. When planning marriage, Dad wanted to have the driven well pump in the summer kitchen during warm weather and in the main house all winter. This meant an offset of the 1-1/4" suction pipe through the three foot stone and mortar foundation. Mother's university student, younger brother was given the task of making the hole during his holiday visit. A week latter, he managed to penetrate the wall and with another half day of work, a man could crawl through. Poor guy didn't get much fishing time on that summer holiday. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

A star drill on a hammer drill will go through a mountain. Forget the hammer drill - just a hammer. Men have drilled deep holes for hundreds of years in this technique.

Fast - depends on the material. Big - do a circle and sledge it out. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Dave H>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

We had a guy come in to core drill holes for computer cables in our

1917 poured concrete warehouse converted to offices. Floors were about 18" thick from the cores that were pulled. 6" hole, took most of a day. You could go oversize, stick in Sonotube and pour cement in around it if you needed a close fit or a really particular size. They cemented in iron pipe with chafing bushings on the ends for the cables. Have no idea what it cost, but it's got to be better than having at it with a hammer drill.

Stan

Reply to
stans4