Dust Collectors

Awl--

Ahm puttin together a HF order, and saw a price reduction in the 2 HP dust collector (to $179), w/ a 70 gal bag.

I have a concrete room adjacent to the 2 car garage, with two 6-8" vents in the ceiling that go to the outside. In this room could be put all my welding and grinding stuff, and if I then put this dust collector outside, I might have a pretty decent fume exhaust/dust collection inside, as one of the vents is right in a corner, ideal for a hood, etc. Q's: Will my neighbors hate me? iow, how noisy is this thing likely to be? I spose I could build an enclosure for it. I wouldn't want to interfere w/ the outside gangsta rap ""music"", so widely appreciated here in Yonkers.... Is it likely any good? Would I be better off with something else?

I have seen very expensive dust collection systems, but I just need rudimentary stuff for now, so's I don't choke to death.

I have a Grainger 3 ph 5 hp industrial blower that I could kluge up, but that goddamm thing is more of a hurricane generator.

Iny idears, opinions?

-- Mr. P.V.'d formerly Droll Troll

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

For welding fumes: Of the systems I've heard about, I like the forced air personal hood for simple functionality. I've never used one, but I don't weld a lot. Small blower feeding a suitable welding helmet with a skirt of sorts that fits around your head/neck. I believe some speedglass hoods are built for working with just such a system.

Doesn't do anything for air quality elsewhere in the shop, nor fume and airborne particulate management other than excluding your lungs from it though.

StaticsJason

Reply to
StaticsJason

--Well if you plan to keep the vacuum outside you'll want to build some sort of weather protection shed for it, yes? Line it with non-rigid insulation and that should cut down on the noise. Another cheapy solution that *really* contains noise: staple egg cartons to the inside of the enclosure.

Reply to
steamer