How do you remove the chuck frpm a lathe?

Can't find it any of the manuals I got with the machine. Kitakawa chuck and cyclinder. I would think you must unscrew the draw bar first then unbolt the chuck. Correct?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy, On my lathe, Daewoo, I close the chuck and keep it closed! I then unscrew the 6 bolts on the face, then I open the chuck and the chuck pops off the taper then I unscrew it off the drawtube.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

No. Don't unscrew the drabar from the actuator end. You'll never get it back to the right place without a hassle.

Take the top jaws off, and look into the center of the chuck. There's a ring with two slots in its face. That ring is a nut that holds the guts of the chuck to the drawbar (or drawtube). There's a wrench (or you may need to make or buy one) that engages the slots and lets you turn the ring, disengaging the chuck from the drawbar. Then you can just unbolt the chuck and take it off the spindle nose, with maybe a tap or two just to jar it loose from the taper or back-plate it's mounted on.

When you try to turn the ring, you'll probably find it impossibly tight. That's because the drawtube is pushing or pulling on it. Turn the chucking pressure down to where it will just barely move the drawbar, and then you'll be able to turn the ring. Or press the chuck pedal repeatedly, and you'll be able to turn while the drawbar's moving, and before it hits the end of stroke in either direction.

On some machines, the lengths won't quite allow the above procedure. You'll need to loosen (but don't remove) the chuck bolts, so the drawbar can push the chuck away from the spindle a little, giving you the last bit of room you need to finish unthreading the ring.

HTH.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Depends upon which type of chucking cylinder you have.On some the drawtube is threaded both ends and you do it Steve`s way,on others the drawtube is screwed into the chuck from the cylinder end and you do it your way.That type usually has a locking ring to take out first..This is the opposite to the way Kirk describes it.I have never seen a drawtube fitted as Kirk describes it from the chuck end,although I`ve had to dismantle plenty chucks to get them off the drawtube. Mark.

Reply to
mark

I see a ring with two slots inside my chuck, so this must be the way mine is set up. Kitagawa B210 chuck with Kitagawa cylinder.

The E-stop button kills the hydraulic pump, maybe thats the best way to remove the chuck? It will take all force off the draw tube.

I bought a used 5C collet nose from smalltools.com. Looks like it might have been mounted once, maybe even never used. I will have to make my own nut to go from the draw tube to the 5C collet. Thank You, Randy