How would you do this

I already did the job and it worked great, just want to put somethin on topic in here.
I had to machine a lever out of 1 x 3 x 8.25 long CRS, 1.500 bore in
one end 0.625 bore in the other end. interesting part was a keyway cut in the big end at a 45 deg angle to the c-l of the two holes.
How would you guys locate the keyway? +/- 1 deg.
I have this machine almost 2 years but I still consider myself a new-guy.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

I would have put it in a vice, then used the CNC to cut it. :)
Or, you could cock your vice at 45 deg.
How would you mill a keyway through a bore?
wrote:

Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Sorry, I had a "keyed core pin hole" in my head. That's just a slot on the top of the part.
In my shop, we only have 3 ways to do that. Broach, and edm are the popular ones.
A number of years ago we had a Bridgeport with a boss 6 control. Once I drilled a small hole where the key would go, then bored the main hole. After that, I made a square tool, locked the spindle, and modified a drill program to slowly broach in the direction I wanted to go. Of course, this was in graphite. I'm not sure I could have gotten away with that in steel.
I would put it in my vertical shaper.
wd Waiting for the next question.

I've done this before. You mill as much of the key slot as possible. At minimum enough to locate the broach. In other words you must mill the slot the width of the broach plus maybe a few .0001's. What you'll be left with is the radius of the endmill to clean out with the broach. Locate the broach tip in the rough slot and stuff away. I recently had to do this on a real odd one that had two slots in the same hole 90 degrees apart. Worked great. How'd you do it? Duffy

After I had the holes finished I used an 1/8 mill to mill out a "keyway" .050" deep. Went over to the press dropped in the bushing and the broach and got the first tooth on the broach to sit in the .050 recess then pushed it through.
Basically the same as you, I let the broach do most of the cutting.