automatic CNC program generators

Hey there, I'm completely new to this field, I've just visited a friends CNC factory, I was amazed by the fact that he does the CNC programs manually (of course he uses a graphical editor for it).

Now, I couldn't ind any automatic program generators, and I couldn't understand why ? By that, I meen software that takes CAD input (from solidworks or such) and automatically produces complete CNC code.

Could someone explain, or refer me to such software ?

thanks, Ilan

Reply to
ilan.lewin

Google is your friend, try CAM software.

Reply to
Garlicdude

There are many programs which produce GCode from DFXF, DWG, 3GS, etc. but a program cannot tell when to change cutters, where start point is on material, and so maost CNC gcode users will 'tweak' the code by adding pauses FOR cutter change, replace some clumsy translation of arcs, and so on . . . .

see

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Ivan

Reply to
Ivan

While there has been much work done in this area (Google "feature based machining"), there is much still to be done. Most of the systems that have this ability require an initial input of tool & machine parameters. This can be easy or pretty intensive depending on the complexity of the parts. The choice of fixturing adds a lot of variables to the mix as well. If you have simalar parts though, there are systems that can find most of the surfaces and holes to machine and can be saved as a template for future parts.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

We have a router that came from a sign shop. The software for it will take a .dxf file and fire off a pneumatic drill at every point, and use the router head to mill every line and arc. Works well for 2D parts. I can't imagine trusting software to do 4 or more axis milling correctly.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp