drilling 6063 aluminum, burr on breakthrough

Mebbe a 5/16 drill, followed by a 3/8 em. You might also find that with the straight 3/8 drill, yer hole is not perfectly round, either.

The other thing you can do, if possible, is drill stacks, mebbe stacks of 8 or more. This way, only the bottom pc is an issue. And, you'll have a rounder hole with 3/8 drill, and much greater efficiency.

I think your speeds and feeds could be ramped up, as well. Mebbe to 2038 rpm and 16.27 ipm. :) :) Seriously, I think you could easily double both.

Some alum is just crappy and gummy.

Reply to
DrollTroll

centre cutting em won't work ?

Reply to
raamman

I could not get 1/8 x 4 flat in 6061 so they sold me 6063-t6. 3/8" hole at 2037 RPM, 16.26 i/min and I am getting a huge burr on the backside of the hole. sharpened drill, then changed to new drill, no difference. What's up?

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Thin the web to center.

Reply to
Bipolar Bear

us underpacker.........my new word for the day.........a bottom plate

Reply to
(!)

Speed and feeds per ME Consultant program. and I am pilot drilling with a 15/64 so web thinning will not do anything. The 15/64 is used to pilot a slot which is then finished with a 3/16 mill. I seem to recall now that alum tubing drills like this too, all my al tubing is

6063.