Update on conduit install in sub panel

I started to drill a hole with my 2 1/2 inch hole saw last night into the top plate. I realized it is probably a double 2x4 top plate. Can I just take a saws all and after drilling a hole completely through with a long drill bit use the saw to cut a 2.5 inch x 4 inch square or so in the top plate so I can fish the conduit down?

I also noticed that the people that put my small heat pump/air conditioning unit for my bonus room went through the top plate in about the same place I need to drill. They ran a 12-2 and 10- 2 wire into the wall. (No conduit). Inside that cavity is the back of a shower enclosure. When I looked, the back of the shower enclosure has a metal strip attached to it all the way down with scres pointing out. (I guess for the enclosure to attache to a wall or somethign.). They are not sticking into anything. I am wondering while I am doing all this if I should run those 2 cables in conduit to keep them away from the screws or am I worryign over nothing?

Reply to
stryped

Drill as deep as you can with the hole saw, use a screw driver to pry out the slug. Then drill some more. Run a drywall screw in a few threads for a handle to lift out the slug if needed.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Ayup. About the only easy way to do it.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

The hole saw bottoms out when the waste is still attached, eh? Just pull off the hole saw and (with a chisel) chip out the waste, then have at it again. You get better chip clearance if you do this in several stages.

Reply to
whit3rd