Wet ink on $100 bills

A friend of mine was recently sent from Germany several US $100 bills in a greeting card. On the inside of the card, some of ink on the front face of a bill had transferred to the card. This seemed odd to me, is this likely to happen? I didn't have a pen to check the paper, but internal image seemed OK. These bills came from Deutschebank.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

heh, or iran.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Sounds like counterfeit to me.

Were it me I'd take them straight to a bank with the ink-stained greeting card and ask for help. Maybe I'd put them in a plastic bag first.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Check it with a pen, but don't worry too much. The ink on new bills will rub off. Intaglio printing leaves a lot of ink.

My brother had one of those red cedar boxes that you get at tourist traps. He had a two dollar bill in it. It was in storage for a few years and when he opened it, the ink on the bill was all runny and sticky. Apparently the cedar oil fumes dissolved it.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:45:10 -0600, "David R.Birch" had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

The ink on US paper money never completely dries.

Reply to
Stephen

Doesn't seem too likely to me. I've never seen that happen before. I would consider them counterfeit until proven otherwise.

Reply to
Doug Miller

you might as well just throw them out and not waste the the time. If they're bogus, a bank will not replace them.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It is not too hard to perform basic checks to see if the bills are counterfeit. The likelihood of finding a counterfeit bill with alls ecurity features present, is not great.

Ignoramus28865

That is IF they are bogus. If they are not..one tosses $200 into the trash can.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

And right there:

``It's a common misconception that if the ink smears when you rub the bill on something, the bill isn't genuine. This isn't necessarily true, but ink that does not smear doesn't mean the bill is genuine, either.''

Reply to
Ignoramus28865

Just go to an office supply place (or even Wal~Mart) and get one of the detector markers. I would bet they are OK.

Now if you're still worried about it you can send me the bills.... I'll take all the risk and not tell anyone where they came from....

Reply to
Steve W.

They only react to the starch in the paper, and will show a false result if the bill has been through the washer.

Reply to
cavelamb

Concur. I've been a printer for 25 years and I know for a fact that ink takes time to dry. Even Treasury Department ink.

I was in retail for a long time before that. Handling lots of money during the course of the day leaves your hands just as dirty as any machine shop, from the ink alone.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

If you have a UV lamp, see if the security strip fluoresces.

$100s don't get circulated much and have preobably spent most of their lives in the middle of a bundle. So the ink might rub off a good one.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I once spent a $100.00 bill at an RV store (new toilet). The clerk held it under a UV light.

The rag paper doesn't fluoresce; ordinary paper does.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Go to a local gas station/convenience store and buy something. They'll let you know in a hurry if the bills are bogus. Maybe you should ask first. The bank should also be able to tell you.

Problem is, if the bills are bogus, how do you go after the perp?

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

If a bogus bill has been through the washer, would it still look like a bill at all?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

in your dreams. I have handled thousands of counterfeit bills, and some of them are simply amazing.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Why is it that everyone seems to think that the US Bureau of Engraving is staffed by magicians, and that printing US currency is one of the black arts? There are skilled printers all over the world (mostly in the mid and far east) who crank out very passable counterfeits. It's really not at all unlikely that you have handled counterfeit currency without having been aware of it.

Reply to
rangerssuck