LMS 1920s DEMU set

Anyone ever seen an illustration of the DEMU built in the 1920s by the LMS (a four car set converted from the two two-car Holcombe branch EMUs) - I am trying to produce a sketch, what I have so far is . . .

However it seems likely the end gangway doors would have been removed and the whole front end may have been rebuilt.

If anyone can tell me if this sketch is about right, or what is wrong with it, I would appreciate it.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Keith J Patrick

I cheat - I either print out a scanned photo or photocopy it if it is in a book, make it as big as I can, then draw over it with a pen, then scan the result back in or trace off onto greaseproof paper and scan that. I can then eliminate everything but my traced lines to give me a blank outline. Then fill in the detail and shading (not a lot of that) by hand, or rather little pointery thingie on the middle of my old laptop keyboard. That way things retain the basic proportions. If I want to show say more detail on the side of a DMU but the photo was too close to front on I can cut bits out and change the aspect ration (stretch the image of the side, and slightly compress the image of the front) to pseudo-rotate it, then add the detail (that kind of thing is much better done from a scan of the greaseproofed paper tracing as it is usually necessary to alter the angles of the buffer beam and front edge of the roof to get the perspective right. I'm taking time out to be a carer at the moment so modelling is out, doing this kind of thing keeps me sane.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike