LBSC EMU livery question

Does anyone happen to know what colour the LBSC painted the front of their EMUs - It looks black on the few photos I found (googling lbsc electric) but it may have been umber.

I have attempted a sketch, not very good I fear, if anyone can comment on the gubbins on the cab front I would be grateful, I was only able to find decent photos of SR era 3-rail conversions which are likely to be different (for one thing the vacuum brake(?) pipe is not present on the SR era sets).

My sketch is at . . .

In contect that would be . . .

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On the website it states "The 4-COR sets (made up of four corridor coaches with gangways within the set but not on the ends)".

This is not true, as your illustration also shows. You could walk from one end of a typical 4 Cor + 4 Buf/Res + 4 Cor, to the other.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

I wish you would hurry up and build a UK layout. To the standard of your US one.And include some EMUs Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

US? You'll have Roger blowing off steam!!!

Reply to
MartinS

"Rob Kemp"

Canadian actually Rob but thanks for the kind words. I used to have a rather extensive OO BR(S) layout at one time running steam and EMUs but it's long gone.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

That is on my to-do list. I have found several references to not being able to get in or our of the buffet on the move and a couple stating that there was no end gangway connector, hence the text. When I looked through the available photographs I found the arrangement as shown in the sketch. I thought it may have been a modification but have not found anything on that yet. I stick it up as a 'work in progress' as there are a couple of people who asked me to as they will be trying to get photographs of preserved units or units not available for me to photograph (those in the south east mainly).

I will ammend the text. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

stating

Having been, at one point, closely involved with the preserved 4Cor I can state unconditionally that there was free movement throughout the complete train when units were coupled together - it is always possible that 'local' difficulties might prevent free passage on an individual train working bases though.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The Portsmouth sets (the Nelsons, 4-xxx) had through gangways. The Brighton sets (6-xxx) didn't.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

That probably refers to the buffet being full of homeward bound drinkers, the train swaying about like a ship in a hurricane, and the access corridor being a bit narrow.

That was the 6-COR's, which were reclassified as 6-PUL's not too long after introduction (to distinguish them from the 6-PAN's)

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

corridor

4Cor I

But then they would not have been classed as 'Cor' (Cor = Corridor) by the SR, more likely something like Por (Por = Portsmouth)...!

What you seem to be referring to are the 10 6 car units formed from Cor and Pan stock in the mid '60's for use on the central section [1], these had Pan driving cars and thus no inter unit connection (I don't think BR ever give these units a class or type designation which is were the confusion probably arises.

[1] 6 cars rather than 4 or 8 due to the short platforms found on the 'Mid Sussex' line?
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The 6-PUL actually had one Pullman car.

Didn't they remove the buffet or restaurant from some and reclassify them as 5-COR?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Why?

Actually they normally rain oin pairs - ie 12 cars. They dis the fast trains between London and Brighon.

The slow ones were typically two x 2-BIL or 2 HAL or maybe 4-LAV.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

I know not where I said otherwise! They were classified as 6-COR on introduction in 1931 and re-classified to 6-PUL in 1935. How much plainer could I be?

Every combination you can think of was tried at some time. I suggest a visit to

if you are interested in SR matters.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

They're the original Brighton stock.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Because you said "re classed" and not *re formed* into 6Pul units.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I know, hence why they pre date the Portsmouth stock!

There were no 6Cor units in the Southern Rlys. time and then only in the mid 1960's with BR. The 6 car units that served the SR were on the Brighton / Mid Sussex lines and not the Portsmouth direct line.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I brought it up because I've lost track of the number of times I've walked through the trains to and from the buffet, griddle or restaurant car from my usual seat in the compartment right behind the leading cab.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

My experience with BR(S) electrics ends in January 1966, when BR was still a real railway with goods trains and steam locomotives and locomotive hauled trains and proper liveries and real seating and windows that lined up with the seats and compartments and platform staff and ticket barriers and cared for permanent way with no weeds sprouting up on running lines and "wrong kind of snow/leaves etc" and trains that weren't cancelled 'cause the driver and or guard didn't show up and real loco and class names and numbers not the dull class number system and railfans who didn't dream up dumb nicknames for every loco or multiple unit in existence etc., etc., etc..

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

From the SEMG site: "When new the units were shown as 6 Cor in operating publications, though this was changed in 1935 (when the 6 Pan units were delivered) to 6 Pul, (the three all-pullman units then being altered from 5 Pul to 5 Bel)".

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

From the SEMG site: "When new the units were shown as 6 Cor in operating publications, though this was changed in 1935 (when the 6 Pan units were delivered) to 6 Pul, (the three all-pullman units then being altered from 5 Pul to 5 Bel)".

and: "The pullman cars were removed from the units from 4 May 1942 which then ran as 5 COR, pullmans being officially reinstated in the units from 1 May 1946"

and: "Pullman cars from withdrawn 6 Pul sets substituting for restaurant cars in former 4 Res units) & 4 Cor (N) units"

and: "Many coaches however saw further service formed into 6 Cor units for the South Eastern Division, or reformed into former 4 Res units to turn them into 4 Cors 3159 - 3168"

If you have better information, then let's send it to SEMG to keep the archive on track, OK?

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W