LMS Articulated DMU and railcars

In the 1930s the LMS experimented with diesel passenger stock, but I have not been able to find any photos.

In about 1932 they got a set of three four wheel railcars from Leyland, I had thought these were for Ireland but gather they ended up in Scotland. In 1937 they got a three car articulated unit with lovely Flash Gordon Rocket Ship lines, I was able to find a photo of the front but not of the sides.

Anyone any idea where on the net I might find more on these, anything on the four wheelers and pics of both would be good.

Failing which anyone know of any books with pics in - I would like to add some sketches to the web site I maintain - specifically for . . .

(NB still being worked on, lots of sketches yet to do here)

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Dunno, but you might find something on the site I referred to earlier:

There is a section on 1930s experimental streamlined diesel trains.

Reply to
MartinS

Thanks - Found a pic of the three car set -

Lovely machine it was as well

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Hi Mike

Its not the best picture in the world but ther is a colour image in the book "The Big Four in Colour 1935 -50" by David Jenkinson.

There are 3 exernal and 1 internal picture plus a simple drawing in "British Railcars 1900 to 1950 by David Jenkinson and Barry C Lane.

Regards

Tony Cane

Reply to
t.cane

Many thanks for that - Off to the Library again, I'll get them interested in railway modelling yet!

The photos I found on the net all sow what appears to be red lower sides, white or cream upper panels with a speed stripe (black?) between and a red band at the cantrail - For the moment thats what I have used for the illustration, I'll re-do it if its wrong (the pics I found have no lamps on the brackets so it wasnt in service, could be as delivered from the makers).

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Yes that is correct, with a white roof.

Regards

Tony Cane

Reply to
t.cane

Many thanks for that - Saved me a long wait and possible disappointment (although they have been very good at obtaining odd books I have requested) - I will lighten the roof and upload an ammended copy.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Somewhere hidden in my MR Club cellars lies a scratchbuilt 7mm model of the LMS 3-car unit! IIRC, it is painted as described above (cream upper panels).

Cheers, Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

Thanks for that, given the look of the thing I am rather surprised its not better known - never seen a kit of the thing, I suspect that scratchbuilt model may be one of very few (somewhere I recal a mention of one in a magazine, but that was years ago)

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike