Creameries and Daries

Sorry of this is a duplicate request - Tried posting earlier but it seems to have gone astray.

Anyone know of any books containing information on rail served creameries or daries? I have some info gathered in the 1980s from the former MMB and dairy companies but nothing specific to rail. The Wild Swan books generally give good coverage of lineside industries but non of the books I have to hand has any information on either.

Reason for asking is I am updating the Goods and Not So Goods railway freight web site (

), making a start on lineside industries, and I would like to check some of the assumptions I have made are correct.

All I found on the web so far is a trackplan for Lostwithiel and a couple of pics of the Leek and Manifold transporter wagons carrying milk tanks at the dairy.

Any guidance welcome, funds are limited so I have to be very picky about purchasing books at the moment.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Morning Mike... had a poke around. All seems OK except the following:

if you go to the page

and click the top left return to main page icon, you get a 404 because the link is malformed (2 dots)

HTH

Uncle Wobbly

A search on 'Culm Valley Light Railway' or 'Hemyock Branch' should find you some stuff, as this branch continued in existence for many years because of the dairy. Likewise, searches on 'Manchester and Milford Haven' ,' Newcastle Emlyn' and 'Whitland' might produce something. If you can get hold of a copy of 'Beyond the Crumbling Edge' by Stephen Poole, there are some accounts of the latter days of operation from 'Control's' point of view. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Reply to
David Costigan

Oops - Thanks for that, so much for Hot Metal's link checker!!

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Many thanks for the replies, couple of books out there that could be what I need. Hope to get the lineside industry section up, at least partially, later this year, still revising the text and altering the sketches for web use.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike