Books reccomendations for industrial sidings?

Some years ago I put my notes on industrial sidings up on the web, I've recently been tiding this lot up (still a lot to do) but I can see the combined constraints of the human lifetime, my ability to do research on a limited budget and the length of the human lifetime are all likely to become 'issues'.

Can anyone recommend any of the 'Such-and-such Railway' books that have good photographic coverage of the industries on the line? That way all I have to do is give a quick outline and say 'see the book'.

As an example Wild Swan did a two volume set on the Severn and Wye Railway which covered not only the coal operations but also the 'acid works' in great detail.

One that covers a town dairy or country creamery would be handy, I get quite a few e-mails asking for more on that side of things.

The index for what I have so far is at

Please bear in mind this is a work in (slow) progress!

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

realise its not diaries, however Landmark have recently done a series on collieries and their railways in various regions. have got the one on Manchester Coalfields and that has a very good section on industrial locos. Then theres Brewery Railways of Burton On Trent - much more interesting than dairies :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

The Railways of the Manchester Ship Canal, by Don Thorpe

This was the country's largest industrial railway system.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Thanks gents - I have a personal interest in the MSC, time to buy another book! I think I saw a review of a book on the Burton on Trent system so I'll see what I can find on that one.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

I presume you mean The Industrial Railways of Bolton, Bury and the Manchester Coalfield which I was also going to reccommend.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Thanks for that - Just found the IRS books page - They've come on a bit! I have some of Adrian Booth's small mines books (inexpensive and a good read) but the rest were news to me (you turn you back for twenty years and they go and change everything!).

Over the years people have picked up a number of 'railway' books for me (mostly old second hand books) but there is seldom much if any mention of the industries along the line (other than mention of a siding branching off, no detail on the industries themselves).

I have spent the last couple of months trying to find out how they handled the sand at Pilkingtons (or any other glass factory for that matter), which you need to know if adding one to a layout. I was trying to get as much done as I could at the library and on the internet before writing, that way they see I have at least tried. I see that one of the listed IRS books specifically mentions the glass works, so it's on the list to buy.

Thanks for the pointers

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

No, this ones full title is "Collieries & Their Railways in the Manchester Coalfields" by Geoffrey Hayes.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I should've started with a longer pencil!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Plus as said its part of a series - or maybe not as the others dont mention the railways bit in the title. Just looked at the north staffs one on Amazon. 2 new copies, either £7.50 from one supplier or £108 from another. Wonder how many people fall for this sort of pricing - although normally only see extra £20 rather than £100 !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon