Northenden cement depot pics

There are some pics of the northenden Blue Circle depot for those who might find them useful. Also a pic of the adjacent binliner depot (handy for in front of a fiddle yard)

They have been jpeged to keep the size down to about half a meg each but were scanned at a high resolution to get the detail so they are physically big

General view
Close up of pipework
Side view of silos
View of binliner depot

These will stay up probably for a week or so (not my web space)

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Also . . .

Area map

Shunting tractor

I must have the pic from which the shunting tractor was cropped, when I find it I'll put it up

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for those pictures Mike as I never managed to take any while it was in use. I did take one while they were converting it into a stone depot though, which might provide an interesting contrast.

Also that tractor picture was interesting as I never realised they used one to shunt the depot!

Fred

BTW that picture of the Binliner terminal was rubbish. *ahem*

Reply to
Fred

Sadly yes, I didnt take much care as I just wanted an overview, I do have a few more taken at the binliner terminal but the posted shot was just to show the general arrangement, very heavily jpeged (came out at

20mb as a BMP). The track plan is a loop, the headshunt at the far end is only ablut three loco lengths. Handy for in front of a fiddle yard.

The cement depot was two sidings but there was a passing loop on the main line.I do have some more pics of the cement terminal but they are packed at the moment. I believe the arrangement was four silos, a gap and two more silos. There were pipes down each side of the silo but the legs were set at an angle to the rail track so the lorries could drive under then carry on and drive round the side to exit without reversing. By the 1990s the lorries were tractors hauling depressed centre trailers, but most of my information dates from the mid 1980s when I corresponded with blue circle as part of preparing the 'book' that forms trhe basis of the current goods and not so goods website. When I get time I plan to put up all the info on lineside industries on the website, but that'll be a while

Thanks for the pic - added to my collection - they dont seem to use rail no (I could be wrong on that) and of course it is now lafarge.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Cheers Mike, I've saved them to disc so I can use them when I get to the detailing stage. Excellent stuff, just what I've been looking for.

By coincidence I've just taken some pics of the Bristol binliner. (last sunday)

it's interesting how two depots, doing exactly the same thing, can look so different.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

wrote

Interesting, not of specific interest to me, but potentially useful. Thanks for sharing Mike.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The bristol plant predates the northenden plant by several years, I understand that the first crop of large fork lifts used at northenden were not wholy successful - Hence seems likely when Bristol was built the big fork lifts weree not available. In either case the boxes are presented end-on to the loading hatch and rammed full of compressed waste. I cannot see how they are rotated at Bristol, does the lifting tackle rotate?

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The traffic still goes by rail, Mike, but to a new terminal adjacent to the Manchester Ship Canal. This can deal with import/export flows as well as the domestic ones. The trains are now worked by Freightliner Heavy Haulage- I think there may be some gen on their web site. Brian

Reply to
Brian Williams

Thanks for that, I'll look into it

Reply to
Mike

Perhaps I should have added a smiley as well as it was just a joke!

Thanks for that info and I believe the sidings were originally part of Northenden Station goods yard and were left in situ without being altered. It's a pity it has closed down as it was the nearest private siding in my area, but at least the site has a future.

Fred

Reply to
Fred