Home depot welders

I have a HD card 0% for six months and am looking at a welder. Not a lot of use, repairs, ladder rack fabrication, small frame fabrication (go garts mini bikes etc) any gudance or advice would be appreciated. Less than $400 BTW

Scot

Reply to
srazor

I bought a little Lincoln 255 (for its portability) from Home Depot. As far as I know, they don't offer a store brand. Lincoln is fine... maybe not the top of the various lines, but I've had mine for eight years, and am happy with it, as far as it goes.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Unfortunately the ones they sell for less than $400 are not worth buying IMHO. Pay the extra and get the Lincoln Weld-Pak 3200HD and you won't be sorry. It runs off of 110V, although for best performance you need a 20amp or maybe even a 30 amp outlet, and will do a decent job on all the uses you mentioned.

But.. and this is a big but, if you can swing it, the Lowes stores in my area are clearing out the same welder at I believe $429 and that's even better because Lowes and Home Depot will normally meet each other's prices. The big "but" part though, is that they have different names even though they are the same welder so you may not be able to get them to match prices. In fact, I think that's the very reason that they do sell the same product with different names, so they don't have to match prices because I believe their policy is that they will match a competitor's price on an identical item. :-(

The Lowes version is the Pro Mig 140. The Home Depot verion is the 3200HD and the generic Lincoln version is SP-135T, or they may now call it the SP-140T since Lincoln, Miller and Hobart keep upping the numbers on the same welders to make consumers think they're getting something new. :-(

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Get the Lincoln that runs off of 110V. Much more portable than the

220V units. I bought one in '94 and it's still going strong. Stay away from the store brands. No resale if you ever want to sell it. I've made a truckload of money with mine.

Keith Marshall wrote:

Reply to
Weldman