304 Rod Machining

I had to machine some 3/4 304 stainless round rod last week, and it performed a little oddly. I first noticed it on the band saw when I cut the
slugs to machine. They would cut with a kind of eye shape on the end. Then when I cross drilled it I noticed I got beaughtiful continuous curls about a 1/4 of the way in, then through the middle it gave me kinda nasty looking munched up looking chips, and as it approached the other side nice pretty curled continuous chips would start coming out of the hole again. I drilled them on the KMB1, so feed was consistant.
It was like the surface 1/8-3/16 was what I was expecting, and then the middle was something totally different.
When I milled the hex half way through to engage the pins I didn't notice anything odd, but that was planned to be a pretty light fast cut.
I have no idea what it means. It was just seemed odd to observe. They are just cross handles for a core pull pin so the alloy is really not all that important. Just needed to be stainless.

'Don't know the answer to your dilemma, but a clue might be the fact that a cold-rolled stainless bar generally is harder on the outside than in the core. This is true of most steel grades, but moreso with stainless, and the effect is greater as the bar gets thicker.
--
Ed Huntress

Bob La Londe wrote:

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with 304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .
--
Snag

On 28/01/2016 1:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I think you're right on the 'eye' thing, have seen that too, and sometimes on other materials.
I've spec'd a couple items I've sourced out here in 303 for easier machining. Nobody seems to know what it is in rural AU. Everyone out here uses 304 or 316 in the abattoir industry.
Jon
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 06:47:04 +1100, Jon Anderson

303 would not be a good choice in the abattoir. It is not nearly as corrosion resistant as 304 or 316. And shouldn't be welded either. Eric
On 29/01/2016 6:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

There are a few applications where corrosion resistance would not be an issue, and it machines easier. Well aware it's not weldable.
Jon
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 06:47:04 +1100, Jon Anderson

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some uses in the US. It pits.
--
Ed Huntress

What do you know about Inconel 600 for food, specifically for a thermocouple probe in simmering tomato sauce or acidic meat marinade? The applications tech at Omega knew even less about it than I do.
The probe I bought from them reads 212.1F in boiling water. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple "The main limitation with thermocouples is accuracy; system errors of
-jsw
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:58:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

I don't know anything about it, but this site says it's an "effective tool" in food processing.
http://www.steelforge.com/literature/metal-tidbits/inconel/
That stands to reason, because it's a very corrosion resistant nickel-chrome-iron alloy.
You'll see many Google references to Inconel 600 and food processing.
--
Ed Huntress

Many references, little hard data.

Try looking for "low pH" as an adjunct to searching for food uses.
https://books.google.com/books?id=_NXYRgHnnqkC&pg=PA152&lpg=PA152 &dq=inconel+for+processing+low+pH+foods&source=bl&ots=pXLnaQXcAp&sig=P- l2Jz_-toMEqWnr1ElMXc6JE9M&hl=en&sa=X&ved0ahUKEwjKqvvdgM7KAhWDKCYKHZraDxMQ6AEIVDAI
Sorry for the long link... <shrug> L
On 29/01/2016 8:45 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Yeah, anything in food production areas has to be food safe. And since nobody seems know even know what it is, certainly won't be an issue! People don't seem to get it when I sorta whinge about not being able to find things I want, tooling, hardware, etc. So have shown McMaster Carr's website to a few. Blew them away...
I've had fun collecting MSDS for everything we use in the plant, and sorting out what's food safe and what's not.
Jon
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 18:15:31 +1100, Jon Anderson

We often don't appreciate what we have here.

At least they're available online these days.
Regarding 303, my recollection is that there is no toxicity issue. It's the pitting that's a problem -- maybe from the sulfur content, but I don't remember the detail. Anything that pits or corrodes, whether the material itself is safe or not, is a harbor for bacteria.
--
Ed Huntress

On 30/01/2016 12:09 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Sometimes one doesn't appreciate what one has until one doesn't have it... Wish I could get MSC to open a branch here, but not sure there's enough manufacturing to support maintaining the inventory.

For the most part, available on the web here. Some items I've had to track down the mfg and request, and one outfit mailed them in. Even most Aussies admit the country is a decade or two behind the States in some respects.

Have had a lot to learn in this area. As if AU standards weren't enough, we're after export contracts in the States. Boy, has that raised the bar. It's not big issues, but a thousand tiny details that have to be attended to... The majority of work order requests I've processed lately relate to coming up to export standards.
The push for raising the bar has benefited me. Got another promotion, now maintenance planner. Being flown to Sydney Monday for 3 days training on MEX. I'm stoked. Place was mostly reactive when I hired in. Was my stated goal from the start to implement some sort of structure and system, even if only in the one area I was initially responsible for, rendering.
Now I'll be setting up PM schedules for entire plant. Stock yards, 2 slaughter floors, 4 boning rooms, 2 offal rooms, refrigeration plant, chillers and freezers, rendering, skins, bio remediation, waste water and irrigation as well as spares stores and inventory/requisition. As we have at least 18 months expansion to come, probably take 2 years to fully document all assets and set everything up.
Jon
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 06:15:40 +1100, Jon Anderson

Congrats on the promotion, Jon!
Now that you've been there for a while, what do you think of the regulatory regime in the US versus Australia? I'm referring to such things as safety regulations at work and the food-safety issues you're dealing with.
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 18:59:18 -0500, Ed Huntress

Holy crap Ed, you almost gave me a heart attack! I wasn't paying close attention and I thought for a moment that you were replying to Jon Banquer. If Banquer had a job then what next? Flying pigs crapping all over my yard? Some poor employer being slowly driven insane? Fortunately reality returned quickly and I realized that Banquer was still safely hunched over his keyboard trying to influence the election the same way Wieber pretends he's a taxpayer. Whew!
On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 17:11:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Ha! No, Australia is no longer a penal colony. They closed Cockatoo Island a long time ago. Banquer is not likely to be shipped there when they finally catch him.
We have a glut of Jons here -- three, I think.
Anyway, how the heck are you? Long time no see.
--
Ed Huntress

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 17:11:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hey, BTW, if you don't watch Bill Maher's show, "Real Time," try to catch tonight's show on HBO's later cable feeds or whatever. (It's being re-run as I speak.) He ran the funniest "commercial" I've seen in a long time -- a mock Bernie Sanders political commercial.
--
Ed Huntress

On 30/01/2016 3:04 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

No HBO here, unsure who carries Bill Mahr. I mostly watch motorsports and stuff like Air Crash Investigation. Have to check the listings, might already have aired. You're a day ahead of us.
Jon
On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 16:47:06 +1100, Jon Anderson

You may not have it. He's pretty vulgar. He's also brilliant and funny, and does some great political takedowns on both sides of the aisle. He's sort of libertarian, anti-religion, and he gives Muslims fits. He's not to everybody's taste, but he is to mine.
For HBO subscribers here, there are many ways to see his show, and it's archived so you can see it at any time online. But you have to be a subscriber via cable or satellite.
I see that somebody posted that fake Bernie commercial to YouTube. This is for all the Jons in the room. <g>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
spaUe8gc0
Here's his take on the Bundy takeover of the BLM offices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7ypWmYX5s

Enjoy.
--
Ed Huntress