High Friction soft sticker type material

We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a program, that picks up various objects with a claw and places them into certain spots according to the program.

The problem is that I have some slippery objects (pencils with newfangled paint that is very slippery) and they slip out of the claw.

It is not easy to increase the strength of the claw, so, I was looking for some soft material that has an adhesive side and provides a lot of friction on the other side, but NO sticking (not like glue).

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

An example of a high friction material are those car cell phone mats that keep the phone in one place on the car dash.

Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus11775

Rubber weather stripping for doors . Comes on different thicknesses and degrees of stiffness . Or maybe some strips of that cellphone mat stuck on with double stick tape .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Yeah, I think that you are right, I ordered a cell phone mat

Ignoramus11775

That sounds good. FWIW, a lot of soft grippers are made from silicone, which is available in a wide range of durometers.

But it sounds like all you need is some foam tape or something like that. If you want to see what's done in industry, search on SOFT GRIPPER FOR ROBOT.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

We use some adhesive backed neoprene rubber that we get from McMaster Carr. I could look up a number, but it's probably better for you to just search on your own.... George H.

Reply to
ggherold

the Mc-C number in inventory. 8583k41 (30A)

Reply to
ggherold

Two things come to mind.

1) Friction tape is a low-adhesive doublesided black cloth tape which has a coating that resists slippage. It would be quickly replaceable at a competition, as well. I haven't bought any in 30+ years, but I figure it's still available. Ayup,
.

2) Dip-it liquid plastic coating for tool handles might work for you, but I doubt it would be as stick as friction tape.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Good one, Terry. Doublesided tape with foam shelf liner would both give it a depth and a stickiness. Better than friction, which would be 1-dimensional.

and
The mounting tape is foam, too, so it will add to the 3D effect, enveloping any object picked up.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

How about coating the claw in plasti-dip paint? That's the stuff you can dip a tool handle into to give you a rubbery grip. Comes in dip and spray can in a lot of colors.

Reply to
Steve W.

Printer feed roller repair tape:

Ned Simmons

I don't know about a sticker, exactly, but silicone materials usually are pretty grippy. If you can get silicone or vinyl tubing and attach it by wire ties or something like that, it will definitely work. You could get some large diameter vinyl tubing at the local hardware store and slit it to make a wide strip.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Gecko pads

Reply to
clare

Maybe put a dab of Shoe Goo on the grip surfaces?

Reply to
whit3rd

I bought it also, thanks, a good find.

Reply to
Ignoramus11775

Hm, might be something that I can buy at Walgreens?!?!

Reply to
Ignoramus11775

Anyone knows what I can buy that would work?

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

RTV. Red is high temp for wood stoves.

Put dots or lines. Dots are used on cloth gloves with green dots for grip.

Mart> We are making a computer programmed robot that works according to a

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

What? Insurance note paper?

Reply to