political messages

I log on to this group to find messages relating to metalworking that might interest me instead I find war , politics , religon , etc. I don't know if anyone monitors this group . if they do they must be asleep. All these off topics have many other web sites catering to their views. How about getting the hell off of our metalworking site. Moderator [ if any ] how about doing your job ?

Reply to
ninthst

hear, hear

T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

I tend to think of this not as my personal answer/amusement site but rather more like a shop lunch room where many items of diverse nature are discussed. If you feel this is not correct perhaps you'd like to begin your own group and monitor it yourself?

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Or they could rename it alt.dennis.bullshitzone

a better idea is for you to go where trolling fits in better or start crossposting to alt.machines.cnc like most of the morons.

Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Rec.crafts.metalworking is not a moderated group. You might get some relief by filtering any messages marked as "OT",blocking cross-posted messages as well as adding the primary offenders to your blocked list.

- Bob Headrick

Reply to
Bob Headrick

Most people who post an Off-Topic message such as yours COMPLAINING about Off-Topic postings, have the courtesy to mark their posts "OT" - something which you failed to do, making you just another Off-Topic poster.

ninthst wrote in article ...

Reply to
*

Andrew VK3BFA" wrote >

Well there are some limits. I believe I would think twice about inviting Gunner and Cliff over for brats and beer at the same time. :-)

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

True, not both at the same time. But I would like to be standing off, say, 5 miles, with a pair of binoculars if such a meeting did happen.......

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Thats a big 10 on the laugh meter Glenn. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Nope, could not happen. Anyone ever see those two in the same place at the same time? Nope, it's like superman and clark kent.

Yep, gunner and the cliffster are really the same person. Red pill, blue pill. One takes you back to your regularly scheduled world, the other one is the land of cast iron and cats. :^)

If we didn't have gunner, we would have to invent him. Bertrand Russell again....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

OK, you need to get a grip and understand a bit about usenet. It's an UNmoderated group.

If you want a moderated group that talks about metalworking, you need to go someplace else, like here:

Great bunch of folks. Not that nearly, almost, just about, everyone here isn't. Of course.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I think some of you guys are missing the original poster's point. Sure, there may be some off-topic chatter in a thread, but the posters who start a new threat with the OT.....my neighbor won't mow his lawn on Sundays..... threads are clogging up the forum. Even with the OT subject line, it still has to be waded through.

Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about else is going on in the world when I come here to read about metal working. We're choking on all the other crap going on in the world 24/7 these days. Isn't there somewhere where we can go to not be assaulted with off-topic posts?

Let's keep it on subject for Christ's sake!

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Reply to
Weldman

"Weldman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

If the OP had prefaced his "Subject" correctly, those with sufficient "Common Sense" would have never seen it at all: their filters would have rejected it.

Reply to
Eregon

According to ninthst :

[ ... ]

Any moderated newsgroup should have "moderated" as part of its name. This one is not, and has never been moderated. And the amount of work which would be needed to convert it to moderated is perhaps not quite worth the trouble. Then you have to find moderators -- (and regularly replace them as they burn out, as this is a rather high-traffic newsgroup.)

While I would *love* for the political stuff to go away, I'm resigned to keeping an active killfile as the next best solution.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

This isn't a web site. It's usenet.

Obviously you're completely ignorant of what usenet is, and are under the impression you're on some kind of google group. You're not.

If you were using a real newsreader, you'd simply killfile anything where "Subject" contains "OT."

Reply to
Steve Ackman

And you only post on group subjects, doofus? Don't lie now, considering what you've just posted, idiot. Go play with yourself, keep the computer off and you'll have a more idealistic existance and everyone will be happier, jerk. Net nannies went out of fashion a long time ago, moron.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

We all do.

How about posting with OT in the header if you're going to post OT?

...and how bout getting a clue about how Usenet works.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

And, the benefit of being a known group of people who you don't have to worry about hunting you down in real life for an online disagreement. the *.advocacy groups? Not so much.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Only if you choose to not filter on that. That's why it's there.

Sure. Right here. If your newsreader doesn't support killfiles based on text in the Subject: line, let us know what kind of system you're running and I'm sure someone here can suggest an appropriate newsreader which does.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Shame, gunner...you know you shouldn't put meat byproducts in a compost heap. Makes 'em stinky.

Reply to
Dave Hinz