Cliff's post's

Just wondering...is this Cliff's personal BBS to peddle his OT propaganda? Sure wish he'd keep his political agenda on the proper boards. Is there some way to filter his crap?

Reply to
Gerry

I often wonder the same thing. How about posting some pictures of your latest metalwork project, Cliff?

I believe you can set up regular expressions to filter posts with certain newsreaders, but I've never got round to doing it myself. Perhaps someone else can supply further information.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I assume he get his jollies by pissing people off with his inflamatory cross posts. Must be one sick puppy

Reply to
Gerry

You also could complain about him at his ISP or the newsserver he is posting through.

I've filtered him.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Thinking about it, we're lucky that this is a fairly active group. A less active group (like Cliff's favourite alt.machines.cnc) would be made almost unusable by this volume of OT stuff.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

A damn shame that's useless because everyone still replies to him. You know people, you'd make it a lot better for the rest of the world if you'd STOP FEEDING THE TROLLS!

Tim

Tim Williams

I don't think people object to Cliff making contributions to the free thinking world. The point is simply that Cliff's posts have nothing to do with metalworking. A few off-topic posts aren't a problem, but if you check groups.google.com you'll find that in the last month Cliff has posted more messages than anyone else to this group, and all of his messages are off-topic.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Given the amount of CRAP that is posted by Cliff. This is not an "OT" post. It is a very on topic post. One that questions how to keep the CRAP out of the NG. Very OT as far as I am concerned.

Reply to
Chris

It has.

As to filtering. Newsproxy (free on internet) is capabable of looking at what newsgroups are being posted to (cross posted)

For example:

# More than three groups, kill it alt.machines.cnc drop Xref:*:*:*

Cliff likes to hit at least 4 or so newsgroups at a time.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Thankyou cliff for you contributions to the freethinking world. I also appreciate the fact that you title things(usually) OT:I'm standing on my head whistling. Then if I'm not in a mood for them I don't get confused. I find it odd that you're being critisized by someone who can't employ such basic news group manners. I've been reading this news group for a couple of weeks and only started posting a couple of days ago(like to feel the water before I jump). I have found your particular rhetoric crontrivial to my own views, but I wouldn't go around telling people who post things respectfully to shut up. That would be poor form. So cliff as long as you keep them in proper order, I will read those that interest me, post to those I care to, and ignore the rest.

Xenophon

"Gerry" wrote in news:1125838845.378633.283970 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

First off it's the usenet, not a BBS. If you want to be able to filter subjects or posters you'll need a newsreader and usenet access.

It looks like you use AOL for your ISP. America on Line no longer provides newsgroup access, so you'll need to sign up with a usenet provider. Reading and posting through Google sucks. Once you use a newsreader you'll never go back.

You can use Microsoft Outlook Express as a newsreader if you'd like (don't). Or you can use any number of freeware/shareware programs. Do a Google search on "newsreaders". I've used a number of different readers and I'm currently using X-News. Download it here (it's free):

Next sign up for newsgroup access. Again do a Google search. If you are only interested in text groups then I recomend News.Individual.net. It used to be a free service but they have had to start charging. It costs

10 Euros per year. Without checking exchange rates it's probably USD $11.00-$12.00 per year. You can pay securely with a credit card. Sign up here:

They have complete instructions on their site on how to configure your newsreader.

All of this will take less than an hour, then you'll be able to filter Cliff or anyone else. You can also filter on posts crossposted to three or more groups, post marke "OT" or whatever you want. You can also configure your newsreader to make it more difficult for people to figure out your ISP and where in the country you are posting from. If that sort of thing is important to you.

Reply to
D Murphy

Lot of work as listed above.

or

We could all start a fund for a "hit-man".

Reply to
Chris

Christopher Tidy wrote in news:431B01FC.40707 @cantabgold.net:

Heh. He doesn't read RCM. AFAIK he just crossposts to it. If you want him to see your post, you'll have to post it in AMC or one of those AOL groups he reads.

Reply to
D Murphy

Oh, you're also from Germany! :-P The ISP you are using has it's own NNTP-host, so no need to pay individual.net.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de (Nick Müller) wrote in news:1h2drz5.1s3ayd7mzslogN% snipped-for-privacy@gmx.de:

I don't care if people know who/where I am. I was just pointing out that it's possible.

I travel a lot and I can access individual.net from anywhere, even at work. Not so with my ISP's usenet access. It can only be used from home. And like I said, Google sucks.

Reply to
D Murphy

I am here for the metalworking, not to have that commie Cliff wave a red flag in my face.

Reply to
Clark

Clark wrote in article ...

So.......

.....why do you open posts with Cliff's name on them?

You DO have a choice, you know?

You CAN read ONLY metalwroking posts....if that is TRULY what you choose.

One can only assume you voluntarily open and read Cliff's rants because you obviously know his political leanings.....

And, don't give me that B.S. that you are "forced" to read Cliff's stuff because others have quoted him.

If you are reading ONLY metalworking stuff, you are not likely to run into Cliff's idiotic statements because he only posts non-metalworking, off-topic, political B.S.

So......

......if you are here for the metalworking, read the metalworking stuff and use a little self-control to avoid Cliff's B.S.

Truth is, he irritates me too, but I do occasionally "tune into" his stuff just to see how far along his mental illness has progressed. He DOES seem to spend 24/7 at his computer, poor guy!

It CAN be entertaining until it becomes boring with the same old B.S.

Hey Cliff!

Found any brains yet?

Reply to
*

Yes. He crossposts a lot, apparently. I personally have never, in a dozen years or more on Usenet, seen a thread crossposted to 3 or more groups that was, or which stayed, on useful topic. So, I choose to filter any post where the newsgroups: line has 3 or more entries. The filter regexp I use for this is: Newsgroups: *,*,* Check your newsreader's documentation on how to use a regular expression for a filter, and you'll only see posts which aren't widely crossposted. You might miss a gem every once in a while, but you filter out a lot of crap. It's all about improving the signal:noise ratio, after all.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yeah, I get that a lot. Last name of Hinz, and German newsserver. Easy mistake to make. I've even been told by a few folks that my English is very good for a German ;)

Well, it's only 10 Euro (14 bucks or so) a year, and individual.net's news server is _very_ reliable and fast. I've seen enough complaints about pretty much every other ISP's newsservice that for me, it's worth it. Also, they gave me free news service for years; I don't mind paying them back for a while.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz