Water Warning-O/T but important

Hi Troops:

If any of you have teenage kids in the family sit them down and have a little heart to heart talk with them soon, about moving water. Many years ago my Great Uncle, who was an old U.S. Navy "Hard Hat" diver responded to a remark I made about going for a swim in the creek that ran near his house with an old Navy Man's lecture, the type he used to give to wet nosed recruits. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon, moving water has additional weight or energy because it is moving, they call that Kinetic Energy. The faster it is moving the more energy or weight it has. 8 inches of fast moving water can knock you off your feet and as little as 16 inches can drown you. I bring this up because here in the East we have had a series of big rain storms and in the last week four teen age boys have drowned here in Maryland because they thought going for a swim in some fast moving stream looked like fun. Latest one is the son of an acquaintance. Teen agers haven't developed the skills to estimate risk, adults need to enlighten them.

Bill Shuey who hates funerals

Reply to
William H. Shuey

William H. Shuey wrote: Teen

That's called Darwinism at work.........

Reply to
Ron Smith

Yes, and it works on adults too. We have several railroad underpasses on the north side of town. "Everybody" knows not to attempt them when it rains hard. Some folks had to be rescued last week from atop their car anyway.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Oh we have lots of those dumbasses too......personally I say let them drown if they're over 18 and that damned stupid. Emergency services have enough to deal with when it floods like that, rescuing the terminally stupid just encourages them.

Reply to
Ron Smith

The way I see it, that is Nature getting rid of the inept and burdens to society. If they were to survive, they would more than likely be a vegetable and we would have to pay $30,000 a month for life sustaining equipment and lawyer's fees.

Just my 2¢

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

I suppose most teenagers do they think they know everything. However that does not relieve a parent or legal guardian of the responsibility to provide them with information that may save their lives.

I thought I was invincible when I was in High School as well. However, after I went to the funeral of a friend who drowned while swimming in a local quarry on the 4th of July 1963, I realized that, perhaps there was a slight chance I didn't know everything and it might possible be capable of doing something that might cause me or someone else, harm.

Talk with your kids about stuff that can cause them harm. They will listen, even when they argue with you or pretend they aren't. Thank you, Bill S, for bringing that up.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I realized I wasn't immortal after attending the funeral of my great grandfather at kindergarden age. Guess I never got to be a "genuine" teenager...

We spend way too much time "protecting" kids and giving false impressions of carnage in the media, IMO. Don't just tell them how it is - show them. Kids really aren't as stupid as most "it takes a village" types would like you to believe.

Reply to
Rufus

What causes a person to assume a medical vegetative state (as opposed to a couch potato vegetative state) is an injury suffered to the brain as a result of illness, deprivation of oxygen or injury, etc.

The mere act of driving a car into a flooded area, then sitting atop the stalled and flooded car, while a sign of stupidity, does not, in itself, turn one onto a vegetable. Why would being rescued from such situation cause someone to be come a vegetable and require $30,000 a month to sustain life, etc?

Reply to
Bill Woodier

that happens around mojave a lot too. mostly dumbass tourists but sometimes even the locals do it.

Ron Smith

The smart kids will figure it out on their own, the average kids will figure it out after seeing it firsthand, the terminally stupid never will firgure it out and those are the cause of the current "namby-pamby overprotective BS".

Reply to
Ron Smith

The rescuing of the terminally stupid just reminds the rest of them that they too can not think for themselves and be bailed out.

Reply to
Ron Smith

A fireman/rescue man lost his life AFTER saving 4 overgrown snot nosers,her in n.e.ohio.last week the heavy rains,before they went to the n.y./maryland area.

Reply to
teem

"William H. Shuey" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net:

We (wife and I) just kayaked the New River few weeks back. I rolled it twice. Once in very shallow water and it was a bitch trying to recover and stand up in water not even up to my knees.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Hi Bill:

Good point.

And yet, all the responses to this message seem to be either .....

1) People (teenagers) are dumb and deserve to die for being terminally stupidity 2) It is the fault of "it takes a village" type people (Huh?)

Comment 2) has to be just about the most meaningless finger pecking ever seen in rec.models.scale.

What is remarkable to me is the lack of comments about the possible root cause of all this flooding ...... namely, global warming. OK, so one flood does not prove, nor disprove, the legitimacy of the global warming threat. But one cannot ignore that we have had wacky weather for at least half a decade now; and every year it becomes hotter and the storms more severe.

The consensus of just about EVERY scientist of note is that global warming is indeed a likely threat to us all. I have two eyes and can see the glaciers above Estes Park are shrinking, and that Colorado has suffered some really serious forest fire seasons of late. And the bark beetles are chomping through all our forests, killing swaths of trees (just take a drive through Grand Lake, Colorado, one of these days).

Christ, it almost reached 100 degrees in Estes Park in June (about 98) and that has NEVER happened in my experience here at 8,000 feet in the Rockies.

And yet, our way too vocal wingnut modelers can only add the most shallow of commentary to your OT observation. Not a single one of them can "connect-the-dots" of kids being swept from the rooftops of cars and cars spewing out carbon dioxide in massive quantities for just about the entire span of my life.

Although "connect-the-dots" is one of W.'s favorite phrases, if ever there was a President incapable of doing just that to the degree of this moron, I don't remember.

Please, go see Al Gore's movie.

...../Vess

Reply to
Vess Irvine

You shoulda stopped there.

The rest of your crap belongs in a political newsgroup - alt.politics, or some such.

So does the other political blather in this newsgroup, but that's a different story. The wacko fringes don't stand a chance in a dedicated newsgroup, so they spout their OT junk in a newsgroup where the nodding heads will just pretend it doesn't smell.

Want to know why r.m.s. has half the traffic it used to? The political crap spewed by the know-littles.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

"Ed Pirrero" wrote

I do know why, but it's two reasons, really:

  1. Many ISPs no longer carry USENET groups like r.m.s. You can still access them after a fashion, #2 below explains why people don't.

  1. Because of the www there are many more specialized modeling sites. These are much more appealing than general sites like this to most modelers.

Although it is much more exciting to blame politics or off-topic posts for the decline in postings, the reality is much more mundane.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

You can get at just about anything, for free, with Google.

Yes, but you are looking at the result, and not the cause.

Look at the traffic before the run-up to the last two elections, and then the traffic after. In both cases, a large drop-off of postings. Some folks came back, but not all.

The reason those internet sites do well is because they don't suffer from the blowhards who feel the need to vent spleen in usenet, but don't have the courage to do it in front of the appropriate crowd.

And it's really too bad - I learned a ton from r.m.s., and laughed at my own misfortunes mirrored in other hobbyists' reports of woes, but this group just hasn't been the same after the y2k elections. And it went even further downhill after 2k4. I suspect 2k6 and 2k8 will do it in entirely.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

It would most immediately affect NW Europe as the cold water sloshing down from the Pole would cut off the warm Gulf Stream waters. Of course, any effects there would push changes elsewhere, as noted.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

that seems to be happening. even england is roasting this year.